PDA

View Full Version : CPL nav techniques

Obs cop
15th Jun 2008, 10:32
Hi all,

Completed my PPL some 4 years ago and currently half way through ATPL grounds whilst doing some hours building.

Inevitably some personal preferences have moulded the way I now navigate, however it is still clock and compass nav, (never did get on with GPS!). Whilst not lazy, my techniques may not be the preffered or recommended ones.

Can any one give me guidance on the specific nav techniques that would be used on a CPL course and expected by an examiner. My theory is that if I can practice it over the next 40 hours of hour building, it will free up some mental capacity and making spatial awareness better during the course.

Even better, does anyone know of any books which would be beneficial to gen up on for this area?

Rich

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Jun 2008, 10:40
Hello mate.

As long as you meet the criteria of what is expected in the test and fly within the required tolerances, the examiner won't be concerned which method you use. All you will be required to do is notify the examiner if you need to make a heading, altitude or timing change.

If you send me your e-mail address, I can send you my NAV briefing I used to give to my PPL students. It may be of use to you.

All the best.

londonmet
15th Jun 2008, 18:33
As long as you meet the criteria of what is expected in the test and fly within the required tolerances, the examiner won't be concerned which method you use.

Not exactly the best method my friend. Almost a cheats way to "pass" the test with the required ticks in the boxes.

Obs cop asked for techniques that will ..... "free up some mental capacity and making spatial awareness better during the course".

What do you think is the best method for navigating on a CPL skills test/PPL skills test/a sunday afternoon jolly/a trip across the channel? Just exactly as you're doing now. Clock - > Map -> Ground. Big features -> Small features. High ground vs. Low ground.

Muddle around too much with GPS/Nav aids/fancy electronics and you will think you're an ace pilot navigator but you're nothing compared to a well rounded "big picture/look out of the window pilot". By all means have the GPS and nav aids as a back up but I wouldn't rely on it.

All the best and I admire your forward thinking mature attitude. Apply this attitude when navigating and you'll do just fine. Good luck.

L Met

Obs cop
15th Jun 2008, 20:14
Guys,

thanks for the replies.

As a guide, to build on my nav, I've so far done bog standard routes using log cards, and legs varying between 8nm and 65nm within the routes.

I've also flown a couple of routes now using log on chart stuff from when I did low level nav in the military.

Likewise, I've been occasionally doing spot nav where I draw circles round 6 to 10 features on a chart. I then fly between the circles chosing the next one at random and without putting a line on a chart. In effect creating a stream of diversions where I have to assess the desired track, applying a wind correction from mental DR of the max drift and estimating ETA.

I don't as a general rule use the 10 degree lines drawn on but somehow still seen to get there!

In short, if someone can give a heads up on how they flew their nav section of the CPL, I'm sure others would find it most useful for their preparations.

Here I'm thinking of techniques used to assess drift and timing, regain track, revise heading for making good the turn point (particularly more than once on a long leg), log cards or log on chart as the method of naving the route, techniques for diversions, avoiding weather etc. and lost procedures.

Thanks,

Rich

Oh and the Navy taught me that the best navigators only use a clock a compass and a map. Anything else just eats up useful load! Tried a GPS once, found it dull, boring and no challenge. Never took it out of the nav bag again. Anyone want to buy a handheld GPS?

BigGrecian
15th Jun 2008, 20:40
Standards Document 3 refers:

Corrections to heading or ETA shall be calculated rather than based on track crawling, impulse or inspiration. The applicant is expected to navigate by visual positioning in a practical way, not to feature crawl. Numerous heading or altitude changes that are the result of poor flying may constitute a fail in this section.

That's generally interpreted as, you must draw a straight line from a suitable set heading to your destination point. Fix points must be on that line, and many schools use an equal time method, by which every fix is 6-10 minutes after each other, ie 6 mins, 6 mins, 6 mins total leg time 18mins on the same track.

Radio navigation aids/GPS may not be used during the planned leg.
They may however be used during the diversion, but GPS only to provide Lat and Long data.

Hope this helps.