PDA

View Full Version : Pilots to get their entitlement!

capt_akun
15th Jun 2008, 08:05
Just want to get an idea of how the industry is going on with the following example. I think it is an important discussion for the industry for those who seek out pprune for information.

As been said before, some operators don't pay the legal award wage and put themselves up for prosecution. Pilots would have stayed and put up with it to get the hours, or quit and find something better. But with both situations, the pilot will leave due to the wrong pay and/or condition.

But the question rises, Would one fight for their entitlement back afterward? or Would they look forward and rise above and forget the past and look to the future?

For those who do not chase back their entitlement, is that because of the fear of a bad name in the industry?

Akun

flying-spike
15th Jun 2008, 10:47
I'll, give you my example many moons ago:

I approached the employer looking for work and got the response "I will use you but you have to be endorsed on these aircraft. You pay me for the endorsements and I will refund the money if you stay 6 months."
I did the endorsements and forked out a couple of grand only to find that he paid half the award. By this time I am skint and can't afford to travel.
I took it on the chin, stayed for 6 months and as I got my refund for the endorsements handed him a bill for the outstanding underpayments.
It took over 12 months to get only a fraction of the over $10k he owed me an yes he was already before the courts for underpayment when I started with him. So he knew what he should be paying and by the way he told me he paid the award before I did the endorsements.P.S. It didn't hurt my career as it wasn't only the pilots he was screwing over. All the other operators in the area hated his guts because they paid the award.