PDA

View Full Version : Another Final Flight

ravan
15th Jun 2008, 06:35
For all who are interested, Humphrey Maltman, ex Army Aviation and former owner/Chief Pilot of Flight Training Australia at Archerfield passed away this morning after a short, sharp battle with pancreatic cancer.

Humphrey had recently sold the company and was looking forward to a retirement where he could spend some quality time with his daughters Heather and Jasmine. Unfortunately it was not to be.

Like him or not, he was always passionate about his flying and set standards second to none for himself and his staff.

He gave me my start in aviation and I am proud to say that I worked for him.

May he find peace for all eternity.

TBM-Legend
15th Jun 2008, 10:46
Humphrey M.

R.I.P.

Tailwinds to a fine fellow who served his country and made a major contribution to aviation in creating an excellent school - FTA.

TwoTango
15th Jun 2008, 11:10
Like plenty of others, Humph provided the impetus for me to leap into this industry. I'll forever appreciate his support and his unwavering standards. We'll all miss you Humph - I can see you now informing everyone where you are now that the three most important things to remember are 'discipline, discipline, discipline'.

TT

TinDriver
15th Jun 2008, 19:37
May he find peace beyond our blue skies..................

RIP Humphrey Maltman, was a pleasure to have known you.

Phlap1
15th Jun 2008, 22:26
Met him in the green machine before he was fully qualified.
He was an ATC at Heathrow before the Army.
His favorite edict was:
"life is my oyster, I will take whatever I want from it"
My condolences to his family, may his last flight take him
wherever his dreams planned.

300Series
15th Jun 2008, 22:47
RIP Humphrey Maltman.

A fine pilot and an excellent instructor/testing officer.

I had the privilege to fly with Humphrey quite a few times and it was a pleasure. Thanks for the encouragement and instilling the "discipline lad"

Metro man
16th Jun 2008, 00:14
RIP Humphrey. You have slipped the bonds of earth, may you soar. Will always remember having flown with you.

Bad medicine
16th Jun 2008, 09:01
RIP Humphrey.

ratso
16th Jun 2008, 09:29
No use saying too much. I am a bit upset.

He got me where I was going.

R.I.P. mate

TBM-Legend
16th Jun 2008, 11:51
Dear friends,
Please join Heather and Jasmine to celebrate Humphrey
Maltman's last flight.

Date: Friday 20th June
Place: Centenary Memorial Gardens, Wacol Station Rd
Time: 12pm

The wake will be held at the United Services Club, with drinks and food
supplied.

Address: Cnr Wickham Terrace and Upper Edward St
Time: Approximately 1:15pm
Parking: Club parking is limited, however there are quite a few public
car parks in the area
Dress: Lounge suite, semi formal, medals and associated uniform optional

Please pass this onto all who knew him.

Sincerely
Jasmine and Heather

Flying Bear
17th Jun 2008, 03:53
Words do not express the respect that I hold for Humph.

I think that I am in the same boat as many others in saying that he was principally responsible for my start in aviation and I thank God that he was.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery and I know within myself that many of my methods of flying are based on what he did / showed me.

Sadly missed, and the Brisbane aviation scene is much the poorer for it...

McQwerty
17th Jun 2008, 04:51
RIP Humphrey. I am yet another who owes so much to you. Thank you for all your help.

TwoTango
17th Jun 2008, 07:35
smoking the pipe tobacco daily

Ah the infamous 'quick nervous'...

1_engine_driftdown
17th Jun 2008, 08:03
RIP Humph.

You were always a harsh taskmaster, but you have given me, among many others, my start in aviation and a solid dose of discipline to keep me on the right track throughout my career.

God speed, my friend.

sru
17th Jun 2008, 08:51
Did my initial instructor rating with him back in the early 80's enjoyed it all!!

Stories of playing games with ATC ex BNE to OK with a strong Westerly in the Porter spring to mind. ATC could not understand why he was not moving across the screen!!:ok:

RIP

SRU

MakeItHappenCaptain
18th Jun 2008, 11:09
Sorry to see you go, Humph.

RIP and condolances to your family.

leading_edge_device
6th Aug 2008, 10:00
Thanks for the start and the job all those years ago. Seems that you were right and I ended up in the pointy end of a big shiny jet.

I promise I will leave a long contrail in your memory every time I fly.

Cheers

LED;)

Capt Fathom
6th Aug 2008, 13:23
With no disrespect to Humphrey...

I ended up in the pointy end of a big shiny jet

A wonderful thing humility!

gcafinal
11th Oct 2010, 12:22
It is 2010 and I have only just found out the news about Humphrey's passing. I flew with him regularly in Townsville while I was CPL training and also knew him when he was a LT in the Aviation Regiment. He was an inspiration, a true and well meaning gentleman with very high flying standards indeed. "What do you need for formation flying lad? Courage thats what you need...lots of it...get in there and do it !!" If anyone knows where his memorial is if there is one, I would be most obliged. Even better I would like to contact his family if possible and offer belated condolences. A good mate, aviator and gentleman. Rest in Peace mate.