PDA

View Full Version : NTL or AltaVista0800?

Basil
11th Jan 2001, 14:34
Can't do a search to look for previous comment.
Can anyone kindly post the benefit of their experience with unlimited access ISPs?

SOHCAHTOA
11th Jan 2001, 17:17
I have been using AOL Unlimited access (£14.99) for about a month or so. Get a connection every time and at about 50k on average. Dont know anything about NTL but I thought AltiVista had scrapped their plans for a flat rate access plan?

Fitztightly
11th Jan 2001, 21:19
AOL has got to be the best for connection speed and reliability. Have been with them for a month and I'm blown away with how good they are. Was with BT Click but they closed that and started off those rubbish anytime deals which as far as I'm aware only offer 32KBPS and you have to pay extra for the ISP anyway. With AOL it's £14.99 flat, connection of 56K and lots of other comms stuff (eg palm pilot software and mobile phone text messaging) abslutely free. Would recommend them to anyone! Cheers.

G:RUFF
11th Jan 2001, 21:20
NTL is quite a good service to use. You don't have to have cable as long as you have a BT line.
You buy a NTL connector box to plug into your phone socket (it costs £10 on your first phone bill with NTL). They give you a password and a dial code and bobs your uncle! As long as you spend £10 a month on non-internet phone calls with the NTL box or dial code you then get "totally" free internet access. The internet access cuts off after 5 mins if you do not use it and also cuts off after 2 hours of continuous use, but then you just log back on straight away. There never seems to be any problems accessing the net (sometimes a little slow).
Visit www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com) for better details.
I have used various isps and so far this is the best by far>

PaulDeGearup
11th Jan 2001, 23:33
I'm on AOL and it's Unlimited Access plan but I find my connection is max 44k and it often locks up. Roll on version 6.

Basil
11th Jan 2001, 23:57
Grateful thanks to all for advice - so, what to do?
I hate making decisions http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

spannersatcx
12th Jan 2001, 01:37
How much do you spend on phone calls a month, if the answer is more than £10 then all internet access with ntl cost a big fat zero. If your phone bill is less than £10 a month the most you will be charged is £10. Connection everytime nebver seen a connection speed less than 42000. You could say it another way in that you pay £10 for internet access and get £10 worth of free phone calls. Also if you call abroad alot I think for a £2 monthly fee there are great reductions on international rates. By the way I use ntl if you hadn't guessed.

Fitztightly
12th Jan 2001, 20:10
PauldeGearup.... AOL 6 is out.... downloaded it whilst asleep the other night. Took about 2 hours. Even better performance now.

xsimba
25th Jan 2001, 02:49
NTL the way ahead.

Never had a problem with connection and if I wasn't imminently moving house I'd be looking at their high speed cable modem offering (£19.99 a month).

Their digital TV package is pretty good too.

Basil
25th Jan 2001, 16:17
Just set up NTL this am - v straightforward & appears to work OK.
Tks 4 kind advice. :)

spannersatcx
25th Jan 2001, 20:30
From 1st Feb NTL world will be £15 per month. Still cheaper than all the others.