PDA

View Full Version : Use of 'back' button on my PC

Paul Hickley
8th Dec 2001, 00:20
OK, so this is a flying website, not a computer nerd website. I accept that. But a lot of wannabes work in IT whilst waiting for the big break and some of you may know the answer to my problem.

I use AOL Online 6.0 and when I go to pprune and have gone from the forum 'wannabes' to a particular thread, and have finished with it and am ready to go back to the wannabes forum index, the 'back' is not illuminated on my application and doesn't work. I have to go back to the top of the thread and re-select 'wannabes' - which is fine, but a bit slow.

However, if I select an individuals's profile, and when I'm finished with it, use the top right-hand 'close' button - you know, the St Andrew's cross - then, when I get back to the thread, the 'back' button is magically enabled, and works just fine after that.

Any ideas on how I can achieve that right right away, without having to interrogate someone's profile?

Many thanks.

Paul

monkeyboy
8th Dec 2001, 01:45
Paul, I'd say it was something to do with the AOL browser. I take it you don't use IE or Navigator to do your browsing? It works fine with IE so I'm assuming the AOL browser is the problem. Will AOL allow you to use a different browser?

[ 07 December 2001: Message edited by: monkeyboy ]

Fester Adams
8th Dec 2001, 21:36
I've experienced this problem with AOL 6.0 on some bulletin boards....(Though it seems to be a problem that has appeared only relatively recently) :confused:
I've just installed AOL 7.0, and it seems to work OK. :)
If you minimize AOL once you've logged on, you can then launch and use any browser you want.
Fester.

Superpilot
9th Dec 2001, 02:50
I agree with Fester, do yourself a favour and stop using the AOL browser. After connecting just minimise the thing and open the Internet Explorer. It makes life much easier.

The problem you mention will not go away easily. Sometimes browsers are just not compatible with certain websites. With IE you wont find any problems.

lame
9th Dec 2001, 03:26
I use AOL too, without many problems, however I have had that problem a lot lately just on PPRuNe. :eek:

When it happens, I now "refresh" the page and then it always works okay, that is then it will go back okay..... :)

Best regards,

"lame"