PDA

View Full Version : Looong B747 Nose Gear Pin

westafricaops
14th Jun 2008, 15:42
I have used a B747 Nose Gear Pin that can be installed from the ground without a ladder (long extension), while at another airline. I don't remember where I have used it. Does anyone have a diagram of such so that I can have it locally manufactured?

THX
Wes Afra

aintsaying
15th Jun 2008, 03:03
We had a real NLG pin put thru a bit of steel and welded together. Then a bungy cord at the end to attach to some structure on the gear.
Got no diagrams, it was a home made job.

tristar 500
15th Jun 2008, 15:55
B. A. at LHR have used long nose gear pins for years.

it is a long pole with a gear pin fixed to it, there is a keep type plate fixed to the other side which is able to rotate by means of a lanyard.

The lanyard is pulled down to uncover the pin which is then inserted in to the hole & the keep plate is then spring loaded back to the vertical position, this will prevent inadvertant removal.

At the bottom of the pole is a red streamer.

The pole is approx 6ft (2M) long.

Tristar 500

matkat
15th Jun 2008, 17:51
Drawing (if the pin is legit and pretty sure it is) should be in the AMM.

Beeline
16th Jun 2008, 12:32
WARNING! Do not use long nose pin when performing undercarriage retraction tests unless it has the latching mechanism fitted, if not use the flight kit pin. Certain incident at LHR proves how it can become dislodged!!

westafricaops
16th Jun 2008, 16:02
Thanks for the input. We should be able to build one.

Wes Afra

Beeline
18th Jun 2008, 13:51
If you are fabricating one i would get the correct spec of the material, airbags might be out again otherwise!