PDA

View Full Version : Spyware and PPrune?

Tor
12th Mar 2001, 02:25
I have noticed that every time I have visited PPRune I get a doubleclick cookie.

Anyone else noticed that?

Is DoubleClick privacy plan adequate? (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1549770.html)

[This message has been edited by Tor (edited 11 March 2001).]

robione
12th Mar 2001, 06:37
Hey Tor,long time no speak,have u got a job yet?Me not very clever with this computer so cant tell u.

Tor
12th Mar 2001, 07:36
Hi Robione

No not yet (not flying atleast). How about you? Have you applied at DHL?

Best regards

Tor

slj
12th Mar 2001, 11:16
Yes

Does anyone from PPrune know why its there?

5711N0205W
12th Mar 2001, 16:38
The doubleclick cookie will probably be from the ads at the top of the page....

robione
12th Mar 2001, 17:34
Sorry to bust up your thread TOR but u got no e-m add.Sorry to hear no luck for u yet,but im sure it will come.Im going down the instructor route to get some more experience and hours.Start course 2wks today,and will be looking forward to having some fun doing it.

Capt PPRuNe
12th Mar 2001, 19:23
The cookies are from the ad at the bottom of the page. No ads, no PPRuNe.

If you are really that paranoid about cookies just turn them off in your browser but you will find a lot of websites, including this one, one work properly. things like the lights, red folders, your password and username are stored on cookies. If you really want to know what what info there is just look at the cookies.

I have the option set to ask me if I want to accept cookies or not and every time a new one is about to be set I either accept it or decline it. 99.99% of the time they are used purely to enhance functionality of the website you are visiting. A cookie can only be read by the site that set it.

Nothing sinister and a necessary item for many websites that use time sensitive displays such as the indexes on PPRuNe. Now, to prevent a few of you using this thread as an open letter to each other instead of email and to put it in its more suitable forum I am moving it to Computer and Internet issues.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

robione
13th Mar 2001, 06:39
Tor,we,ve had our wrists slapped cos u got no e-m add,get it sorted out mate.Sorry CPT,excuse was mentioned in the post.

xsimba
13th Mar 2001, 12:01
Danny, I have no objection to accepting a cookie from PPrune but I don't understand why an advertising banner needs to give me a cookie. In particular I understand that doubleclick track your movements throughout the web - not something I would generally want.

Yes it is possible to set up your system so that you are warned when a cookie is being given, however you are then constantly getting security alerts and browsing becomes tedious. Is there any way that you can accept banner ads on your site without forcing us to accept their cookies?