PDA

View Full Version : Running DOS preoggies

Smurfjet
12th Mar 2001, 09:14
Was just going through my old 3.5" collection, and found a nice old SIM I used to play on my 386. I tried to run it (PII WIN 98) but it gave me a not "enough conventional memory thing..."

Anyone from the DOS era remembers how to configure the conventional memory? EMM386 and all that?

And to say I used to be king of DOS! Ugh, I feel so old!! :)

Regards
SJ

Ausatco
12th Mar 2001, 09:37
Assuming you're using a DOS window in Win98...

Haven't tested this myself, but right click on the MS DOS shortcut, then properties. One of the tabs is Memory, then there are heaps of things to fiddle with, one being "conventional memory".

Do you still have your DOS 6.0 or 6.2 disks? If so, install the help files (and only them) to a new folder and then get help on emm386. You will need the files help.com and help.hlp, which may be compressed as help.co_ and help.hl_ in which case you will need to run the DOS 6.x expand utility (on the DOS disks) to expand them into your new folder.

HTH

AA

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 12 March 2001).]

ExSimGuy
12th Mar 2001, 10:29
Have you tried booting the pooter in DOS-MODE ? (start -> shutdown -> restart in DOS mode)

Of course, it you've upgraded to the Win2000 or NT range of WinDoze, you have lost all opportunity to run any DOS mode at all!

Smurfjet
12th Mar 2001, 11:07
Thanks for the replies!

Got it working thanks to this http://members.aol.com/axcel216/msdos.htm

Still have to figure out how to make the Joystick work now, but t'was fun! :)