View Full Version : Test Pilot - can it be done "the other way round"?

Speedbird715
13th Jun 2008, 23:10
Browsing through the FAQs and all the other good reading material in this forum, it always seems that the only route towards being a (civilian) test pilot is getting a degree FIRST and THEN going through flight training.

Can it be done the other way round - e.g. do you know of any airline pilots who decided at some point in their career that they want to go to university or obtain a degree through distance learning... and then went into test flying?

The reason I'm asking is that I've made it into Lufthansa's ab-initio ATPL scheme (Which is absolutely brilliant!). The trouble is, I COULD get a BEng in Aerospace Technology first, but that would mean an additional, unpaid 2 years of studying, loosing 2 years of seniority, risk of not getting the job in the end etc etc. Considering the current state of the industry, I'm not sure if it would be worth taking this risk. Unfortunately, being a test pilot is a personal dream (albeit a silly dream), that I don't want to give up entirely...

I hope you can see what I'm up to here - any infos from the pros here appreciated!

Thanks,
Holger

gr8shandini
17th Jun 2008, 15:16
I wouldn't say that it's a silly dream. Just make sure you know what it's actually all about before you make any irreversible decisions. I'd say most of our pilots spend at least 90% of their time flying a desk. It's a great job for some, some prefer to be crew dogs.

I'm a flight test engineer, not a professional pilot, so I can tell you that it'd be much easier for someone with the required flight experience to get a degree and become a test pilot than an engineer gathering enough flight time on his own to become qualified. But I'd be very leary of getting an "Aerospace Technology" degree. Most of those just prepare you to be a maintenance manager. Any type of engineering degree would be preferred by most employers with Aerospace obviously being the most helpful.

ICT_SLB
18th Jun 2008, 01:42
Beleive one of Transport Canada's TPs did it that way but it's definitely the hard way!

On the subject of required degrees, one of the best TP's I've ever had the pleasure of flying with (graduate of AX, ETPS & Edwards) had a really useful degree - in forestry!

Milt
18th Jun 2008, 07:34
Then there was Don Woodman (RIP) who first had a degree in mining. Didn't like it down there so went up and eventually ETPS.

After some TPing went lower into a Qantas heavy flight deck.

gr8shandini
18th Jun 2008, 15:19
I didn't mean any disrespect to those with degrees other than engineering. Or even those without a degree at all. Obviously, if you've got the smarts, you can learn anything regardless of what it says on your diploma. I was just saying that if your express purpose for going to school is to become a test pilot, an engineering degree is your best bet at making yourself marketable.

ianp
19th Jun 2008, 17:16
Speedbird,

Not too sure where or if airlines send there tps for training but I went to ETPS in 06 with 6 GCE's and a 2nd Mates ticket from the merchant navy. As one of the other posters pointed out your flying experience in roles, and variety as well as hours will count more than academic qualifications. (Then again it did mean I hit some of the subjects with a pretty steep learning curve!)

Whatever you decide good luck.

Ian

Jetset Jimbo
6th Jul 2008, 07:56
My father did a physics/engineering degree remotely via the Open University whilst he was still flying in the RAF before attending ETPS. It took him a while but full time isn't necessarily the only option open to you. If I were you I would take up the ab initio ATPL course and then get a degree via distance study in your first few years as an airline pilot.

Speedbird715
11th Jul 2008, 18:08
I'm stepping a bit late on my own thread - thank you VERY MUCH for all your opinions and insights (really confirming my initial opinion)!

I've gone for the quick route into the flight deck now, not doing a full time degree before that. It will be interesting to see whether the step from ATPL only to test flying can be made some day in the future - I'll certainly keep at it!

Regarding distance learning, what do you think would be a useful degree for TP'ing? Other than "classic" AeroEng, Embry Riddle University for exmaple offers some interesting courses... but these seem to be mostly management-oriented and I don't know if that would do any good.

Maybe I'll look into mining or forestry! :}

Thanks again
Holger