PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW... Can't find the right discs.

pax anglia
6th Dec 2001, 00:38
I have yet to get to grips with the CD-RW on my new machine as I haven't been able to find the correct CD's.The spec is 24 x 10 x 40 which I understand are the Write,Re-Write and Read speeds respectively.Assuming I have got these in the correct order,I have not been able to find CD_R's with a speed rating of 24x.I could,I suppose,use a CD-RW (easily available) but I would rather use permanent media.For info I don't want to record music,I will be scanning old photos as part of a local history project and wish to store them on CD.Can anyone advise me as to the availability of the correct speed of disc and if a different type should be used for data as opposed to music?
Thanking you in anticipation.....PA

BayAreaLondoner
6th Dec 2001, 01:20
CD-Rs are rated for write speed and possibly rewrite speed. I think 4x is fairly common. Honestly, though, it doesn't matter. CD burning software will test the media first (and you should do this at least once) and determine the maximum reliable writing speed.
Go for data CD-Rs since they are cheaper. Also the 80 minute CD-Rs offer more storage than the other ones but not all CD burning software supports them. Worst case though you'd use the 80 minute disk as a shorter one.
Finally, if you get into burning audio CDs, you may find that you are able to getaway with using the cheaper data CD-Rs.

Lurk R
6th Dec 2001, 06:12
I was under the impression that whilst CD audio tracks stored on CD-RW are recognised by some CD players, the majority of car radios and commercial units will only recognise CD-R

BayAreaLondoner
6th Dec 2001, 11:11
I think it is very much a "your mileage may vary" type thing. My CD player at home and in my car have no problems with CD-Rs, CD-RWs or CD-Rs with "audio" marked on them.
My first DVD player wouldn't play CD-Rs or CD-RWs but my current DVD player is happy with them.
I believe it is to do with the reflectivity of the substrate of the disk. Memorex ones work well for me and buying one of those spindles of 50 keeps me going for ages.

bow5
6th Dec 2001, 16:27
Don't make the same mistake I rather naiively did. By using CD-R's for copying music I ended up with CD's all over the place, half of which I didn't want so I decided to splash out on 10 £30 CD-RW Cd's to stop this problem. What happened? I got them home and found that CD-RW's cannot be played in a normal CD player so I'm stuck with 10 totally useless CD's who PC Scrud more than likely won't take back. In my defence, nowhere on the damn box did it say this was the case. A clever bit of TDK marketing methinks. :rolleyes:

As far as the speed issue goes, it doesn't matter. Pretty much any disc will work - let your pc do all the thinking. :p

BayAreaLondoner
6th Dec 2001, 21:01
bow5 - at least you'll never run out of coasters ;)

pax anglia
6th Dec 2001, 23:13
Thanks one and all for taking the time and trouble to respond.It never fails to amaze me the depth of knowledge and experience that exists "out there".Equally I am pleasantly surprised that in an increasingly cynical and self-centred world there are people kind hearted enough to share their knowledge.
Thanks again.....PA

bow5
7th Dec 2001, 13:09
.......or frisbees. :rolleyes: :D

Tinstaafl
7th Dec 2001, 16:43
You're welcome, Pax Anglia.

That will be $30.00. :D :D

Evo7
7th Dec 2001, 17:07
...ex VAT, of course. This is the computer world after all ;)

BayAreaLondoner
7th Dec 2001, 23:26
Don't forget the annual maintenance contract at 15% of the sales price...
And oh you're in the UK so there's the 12% uplift ;)

PS - you're welcome.

Evo7
8th Dec 2001, 12:16
Oh, and as it is the UK that $30 will be £30. Keeps it simple, huh?

pax anglia
8th Dec 2001, 18:28
Er.....I mean,come on chaps.....£/$30 plus 15% of contract sum, plus 17.5% VAT, plus 15% for UK market....I wasn't really that grateful....in fact I didn't really want to know in the first place.As it happens I knew all ready.
(Retires to search for one's copy of "Debrett's Etiquette"-they must have a chapter or two as to what to do next in this situation")

moleslayer
9th Dec 2001, 18:09
bow5......

I've been using TDK CD-RW700 for music recording for some time now,and play them on a 10 years old B&O sound system.

Moley.

spannersatcx
9th Dec 2001, 22:42
Don't think I've seen the answer to the original question. Although your CD writer is rated at 24 x 10 x 40 you can use other speed rated CDR's all you need to do is set the speeds for recording in your software. I would say that the faster the speed the more likely it is that the recording, particularly audio, will not be as good as using 2x or 4x. :D

bodger
11th Dec 2001, 16:21
spanner,surely if it is a digital recording the speed of recording will not affect the quality.It should be a perfect copy.

spannersatcx
11th Dec 2001, 22:20
If only, unfortunately it's not as simple as that.
The individual CDR's are speed rated and their max recording speed is printed on the box, exceed this and you may well get a coaster.
It depends how well the data is read cached and sent back out, there are many things going on in your pc that will cause the odd blip, the faster you are recording the less chance it has of recovering, more coasters.

bodger
12th Dec 2001, 15:33
Sorry to be pedantic,but I appreciate that problems such as buffer under run can cause copies to fail but that is a different issue to the quality of the recording? If a recording is successful at 12x then it will sound just as good as a recording at 2x.

RW-1
18th Dec 2001, 01:39
It's ok to be pedantic! :)

The quality of the audio will not change from 2x to 12x, however the quality of the burn will change.

Even though you may not suffer a buffer underrun and completely stop (or have burnproof protection) the speed at which you select can determine if you will end up with pop's or clicks on the burnt CD.

I've found that if the buffer get's down to 10% or even 1%, on some burns, I'll notice what it was burning at the moment, and in that track (for audio) I end up with unwanted clicks or pops. This has to be due to the data stream being slowed down, etc. (But not causing a coaster, as burnproof supposedly holds the last position of the laser until the buffer is replenished, etc.)

anyways, that said, the point is that even if you have a xx speed burner, depending upon hat is being burned, and your system, the top speed is not always the right speed. the errors come from data interruption, not flaws in the audio being copied (unless of course, your audio had the flaw to begin with).

And yes, each burner has different CD media that can give varying results even at a sloweer burn speed. the type of dye used (color) etc. can either be acceptable to your specific burner, or not. I've found mine loves the blue dyed CD-R's myself.

:D

Just my .02.

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: RW-1 ]