PDA

View Full Version : New Router and Home Network...

Jimmy Macintosh
13th Jun 2008, 17:09
I've just bought a Netgear WPN824NA wireless router and am trying to set up a home network.

The main PC is a Vista Home Basic, the other is an XP Home edition.

My internet connection is through a cable modem.

Initially I used the USB connection to get data from the internet into the XP machine. When I bought the new machine I just plugged the modem into the USB port and it worked great. I found I could unplug and plug in between the machines and both could access the internet as required.

Now in order to use the router I had to switch the modem to an Ethernet connection. It took a while to find out that the ethernet card wasn't switched on in the Vista PC, but that now works. So far I have the cable modem connected to the router and the Vista PC connected to the router.

The XP machine, needed to install drivers for the ethernet card, unfortunately as the card can't be driven it can't access the internet to find the drivers. I tried to plug the modem into the USB port but it seems the ethernet reinstall has reconfigured the modem so it can't find it. I found the motherboard name and searched for drivers using the Vista PC, and found an 8Mb download. I transferred this to the XP machine and ran the file, which happens to be LAN drivers. It claims that all are working.

Here's the problem, it still can't recognise the ethernet connection. I've swapped out cables, I can only find one ethernet connection on the back of the machine (on the motherboard) and four fire wires, one on the motherboard and a PCI card with three.

Any suggestions as to what the issue might be or should I just reinstall the modem as a USB attachment on the XP machine, activate the ethernet, then reinstall the modem as an ethernet.

Obviously I'd prefer a shorter version.