PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks

Binoculars
13th Jun 2008, 17:30
Funny the things that make you think you want to post on Pprune, and that bring a smile to your lips knowing the effect it will have on the usual suspects.

I just watched Shut Up and Sing, a documentary on the Dixie Chicks, and a worthwhile view in my opinion. Yes, I agree with their political slant, and as the movie shows, their view gradually became more acceptable, though the rednecks increased their hatred level in direct proportion.

Must confess I'm not a country fan, (Oh I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee) but Taking the Long Way Home is a great song no matter what side of the musical spectrum you follow.

No need to feel sympathy for the DC's, I found it incredible that they were the biggest selling female band of all time (Supremes, anyone?) but good luck to them in their choice to ignore southern radio stations who boycotted their music for one statement.

The redneck element is an ugly one no matter where it exists.

brickhistory
13th Jun 2008, 17:41
Bino,

I think I can speak for a majority of the US radio listening population today when I ask: "Who?"

That trio with their pudgy lead singer is soooo last year.......

However, I'm firmly on the "If I want politics, I'll got to a political rally. If I want a musical concert, shut up and sing." I used to like the Chicks.

Oh, and it wasn't just 'southern' stations. Country music stations nationwide dropped them.

frostbite
13th Jun 2008, 17:47
I think they were banned for 'Goodbye Earl' which I think is a brilliant song and worth buying their 'fly' album for alone.

West Coast
13th Jun 2008, 17:48
That trio with their pudgy lead singer

Miss Piggy.

Must confess I'm not a country fan

Heck, we do have something in common. I'd rather be shoved in to a wood chipper than to listen to country or rap.

Is there any country like music originating out of Oz?

Binoculars
13th Jun 2008, 17:59
Brick, do you not ever feel that in your rush to defend all things American , well at least those pertaining to the home of the true and the brave or whatever it is, you occasionally leave yourself open to charges of being, shall we say, a little blinkered?

I suspect the answer is a very strong no, and I don't expect anything I have to say will change that. Hey, that's what we're here for isn't it? You keep saying you don't give a shit what non-Americans think but you keep leaping in to every thread to tell us how little we know and how little our opinions matter.

You and Dushan can rejoice in your orgasmic adoration of Jack Nicholson's speech quoted elsewhere on JB, and an inspiring speech it was. Almost made me want to get up and cheer. Almost. Until I reread it and tried to inject some humanity into it.

Dushan
13th Jun 2008, 18:01
Binos

Who are you calling ugly? No personal insults...

G-CPTN
13th Jun 2008, 18:02
Is there any country like music originating out of Oz?Tie me kangaroo down, Sport?

brickhistory
13th Jun 2008, 18:11
Bino, I don't think an apology is needed, but I'll offer one if you want.

edited to add: WHERE in this thread did I justify your claim to 'rush to defend?'

I wasn't defending America, just saying that the furor (in a teacup) over the Dixie Chicks is long past its expired date here.

I also don't want to pay large sums of money for a concert and have the band and/or singer lecture me on their politics.

Hence, 'shut up and sing.'

As I said, I liked the Chicks until they went 'all political' at their shows.
That sentiment applies to any entertainer. I'm not looking for politics even if it agrees with me. I'm looking to be entertained via the medium I purchased the ticket for.

Also, I've never said "I don't give a sh1t what non-US ppruners think." It's true, but I've never said it......:}

If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't post. Doesn't mean I have to agree with much of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Aussie country: Big fan of John Williams and James Blundell's earlier works.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
13th Jun 2008, 18:14
No, that's better than country music.

Davaar
13th Jun 2008, 18:27
Earl was the missing person whom nobody missed at all. The Chicks became personae non gratae, Ithink, for opposing their President in the War against Saddam.

CityofFlight
13th Jun 2008, 18:29
If people would just consider that Golden Rule..."I can talk about my mama, but don't YOU talk about my mama", then perhaps one wouldn't feel the need to get defensive. In one post, you put down country music fans as 'rednecks" and slammed the gov't--again.

And I thought rugby was a national past time over there... :rolleyes:

Capt.KAOS
13th Jun 2008, 18:30
Girrlz with balls :ok:

Parapunter
13th Jun 2008, 18:36
COF, I stuck a few piccys of my garden up & it was compared to a toilet and bathroom - guess who?:rolleyes:

CityofFlight
13th Jun 2008, 18:44
You lost me on that one...

Darn...I'm sure it was good too.

Romeo Delta
13th Jun 2008, 18:49
Shoot, I was a fan of the "'Chicks," too... Matter of fact, I still am. :ok:

They were banned because of something they said at a concert in London: "We're ashamed to be from the same state as our President."

:rolleyes:

In my beloved US of A these days, it's not about intelligent debate and opinion based on the facts. It's "who can shout the loudest and drown out the opposition." (Especially if the facts that support your argument are weaker than the other side.) It's the attitude of "I'm right, and anything YOU say is wrong if it doesn't agree with what I say."

Hypocrites, the lot of them... "I believe in the right of Free Speech as written in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights... As long as you agree with everything I say, or else you're un-American and should be deported. Ya Terr'ist..."

brickhistory
13th Jun 2008, 19:07
In my beloved US of A these days, it's not about intelligent debate and opinion based on the facts. It's "who can shout the loudest and drown out the opposition." (Especially if the facts that support your argument are weaker than the other side.) It's the attitude of "I'm right, and anything YOU say is wrong if it doesn't agree with what I say."

I'd submit this is primarily, but not exclusively, the tactic of the left.

Whereas this:

I believe in the right of Free Speech as written in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights... As long as you agree with everything I say, or else you're un-American and should be deported. Ya Terr'ist..."

is a so far Republican-only tactic

West Coast
13th Jun 2008, 19:11
Girrlz with balls

Well Kaos, to each his own I guess.

arcniz
13th Jun 2008, 23:29

You keep saying you don't give a shit what non-Americans think but you keep leaping in to every thread to tell us how little we know and how little our opinions matter.

just about nobody can forget "A Pub With No Beer"

http://www.slimdusty.com.au/graphics/SlimIPnew.gif

Have you been feeding your meds to the dog again, Binos?

AA SLF
14th Jun 2008, 01:05
arcniz - hit it smack on the nose!! Slim Dusty is a "country" singer and the song "A PUB WITH NO BEER" is for sure a true country anthem, says this 'ole redneck from Texas.

The Dixie Chicks - TWO problems with them: 1) I ain't never ashamed of my country - just some of the stupidity we get up to sometimes. 2) They were right for - all the WRONG reasons

con-pilot
14th Jun 2008, 01:11
Dang it AA, if you keep posting like the last post, I'm going to really going to start to like Texans. :ok:

(Hope all is well my friend.)

(Okay, I'll like Texans until the Red River blowout. :p)

Blacksheep
14th Jun 2008, 01:27
The real 'Dixie' Dixon were a Geordie you know... ;)

They needed a couple of Englishmen 'cos the cousins could never agree on anything as simple as where the north ended and the south began...

arcniz
14th Jun 2008, 01:41
the cousins could never agree on anything as simple as where the north ended and the south began...

Much less where "Country" stops and "Western" begins.

Pretty ladies in slim-fitting jeans is the best clue, one believes....bikini bits & tank-tops are "country", and "western" is long-sleeve shirts buttoned at the neck.... or, better, no shirt at all.

Capt.Grumpy
14th Jun 2008, 03:20
knowing the effect it will have on the usual suspects.

That it did Binos....that it did, the usual frothing at the mouth and the gnashing of teeth. They crack me up :p :} :ok:

tony draper
14th Jun 2008, 08:02
That bloke wi the guitar is taking a chance int he?,standing in the middle of the Australian A1 like that.
:E

Track Coastal
14th Jun 2008, 10:39
I quite like this little number as well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FF0cS9s6Aw

...and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seGhTWE98DU

that it did, the usual frothing at the mouth and the gnashing of teeth.
stand by...;)

brickhistory
14th Jun 2008, 11:39
the usual frothing at the mouth and the gnashing of teeth. They crack me up

Umm, where?

Is simply because some have posted?

Or is there a specific examply you'd care to highlight as particularly 'frothy' and 'gnashed?'

Howard Hughes
14th Jun 2008, 11:56
I'd submit this is primarily, but not exclusively, the tactic of the left.

I call bull shiit!!:rolleyes:
is a so far Republican-only tactic
Once again I call bull shiit.;)

forget
14th Jun 2008, 12:03
"Dang it" " Shoot" :confused::confused:

Are these euphemisms - aren't allowed to swear in the good 'ol US?

Load Toad
14th Jun 2008, 13:48
They opposed the war, got slagged off for it. A war that's cost brazzillions of dollars, resulted in the world being no safer, cost thousands upon thousands of lives, was based upon lies and a betrayal of trust but at least we don't have a country and western song about it.

Yet.

forget
14th Jun 2008, 13:56
Never miss an opportunity to throw in Kris Kristofferson at his brilliant best!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3rxm17Soz3c

Capt.Grumpy
14th Jun 2008, 14:19
Or is there a specific examply you'd care to highlight as particularly 'frothy' and 'gnashed?'

No, nothing specific...............you're just a bunch of clowns :p :} :ok:

Track Coastal
14th Jun 2008, 14:40
Hey forget good link to one of the "highwaymen".:ok: