PDA

View Full Version : Climate change "protest"....Trains, not planes now !

Krystal n chips
13th Jun 2008, 17:12
Whatever celestial line up and / or Friday 13th has induced this lot to stop a train....and "kindly" informed the signal staff as to what was happening :rolleyes:.....I cannot, for the life of me see any relevance to their protest......if they want to shovel coal.....go and work in a mine !.

Feel sorry for the train driver here as well.....for those who drive trains, what, if anything, could he have done other than stopped ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7452395.stm

Overdrive
13th Jun 2008, 20:17
Life is getting crazier by the day...

airfoilmod
13th Jun 2008, 20:31
The faster it gets really insane, the sooner it will be done. Patience.
Behind every Silver Lining there is a Cloud.

Airfoil

BRL
13th Jun 2008, 21:49
Feel sorry for the train driver here as well.....for those who drive trains, what, if anything, could he have done other than stopped ?

Not a great deal to be honest. If you see a red flag being waved you simply have to stop, you (the driver) have no idea what it is being waved for.

I don't know much about it to be honest if they stopped the train with a single person and everybody else hid then you think something must be wrong. If they were all on the track in front of him then he still has to stop to avoid running them over.

That train they stopped is a powerful engine and I would just love to know what 'wire' they have used to stop the train!

minilad747
13th Jun 2008, 22:38
As a train driver if you see anything red waved at you then you stop asap. It can take around half a mile to stop and you may not be able to see that far ahead. There could be any number of reasons why you are requested to stop like that but whatever it was you would be stopping as quick as possible. I too would like to know what the wire was that the protesters were using to disable the train. I they had informed the signaller of the plan then I would have expected the signaller to have put all signals to danger and bought all trains in the area to a standstill, they could have also broadcast a radio message to all trains in the area to come to a stand.

Krystal n chips
14th Jun 2008, 05:15
Thanks for the replies re the train and the driver :ok:....my interest was also along the lines of could he be disciplined in some way for stopping....."management" being having the same illogical "thought" process at times irrespective of the sector they "work" in......as for the line.....possibly a convenient term for describing a length of heavy chain which, I assume, if wrapped around a locomotives wheels would have the same effect as wheel clamp on a car ?.....or heavy hawser perhaps.....no matter, they still qualify as irresponsible (and irrelevant to serious debate on the topic of climate change in the real world, not their "any cause will do" one ) retards.

minilad747
14th Jun 2008, 08:02
Well I cant speak for the management at the company involved but I cant believe any management would try and discipline a driver for stopping at a danger signal (which in effect this was). He did his job to the letter. What happened after he stopped doesnt alter the fact that he needed to stop. I guess a heavy chain might do the job if they had something solid to wrap it round. But whatever the ins and outs are these protesters once again show they are foolhardy and iresponsible beyond belief. It would be interesting to see what would happen if one of them got injured or even killed during one of these stunts.

henry crun
14th Jun 2008, 09:21
They, or their NofK, would probably sue the train owners for not warning them about the dangers of such stunts.

Fg Off Max Stout
14th Jun 2008, 10:18
I trust these people will be tried in court as hijackers. (Actually, since the Afghan Airlines hijackers of about 6 years ago simply got a pat on the back and a welcome to the UK benefits system, maybe they'll be let off with a caution).

PaperTiger
15th Jun 2008, 04:13
It would be interesting to see what would happen if one of them got injured or even killed during one of these stunts.After the applause and cheering had died down, you mean ?

Beatriz Fontana
15th Jun 2008, 09:58
Surely the daft protesters have caused even more environmental damage by shovelling the coal out of the train wagon and onto the countryside.... Maybe next they can start throwing themselves in front of petrol tankers once the drivers go back to work.

SOTV
15th Jun 2008, 10:49
The train was stopped on the branch line into Drax so there would not be any signals for the signaller to return to danger. AFAIR there is a signal to take you onto the branch and one to let you back onto the main line.

I had a red light displayed in front of my train last year while approaching Wigan at night. 1400 tonnes doing 75mph on a falling gradient. It was a ringpiece tightening 1200m before I stopped, all the while wondering what I was going to hit. Turned out to be a local scrote who was caught a couple of hours later while trying to stop the northbound sleeper. He got a community service order. What is wrong with this piece of statute?

Malicious Damage Act 1861
1861 CHAPTER 97 24_and_25_Vict

35 Placing wood, &c. on railway, with intent to obstruct or overthrow any engine, &c Whosoever shall unlawfully and maliciously cut, place, cast, or throw upon or across any railway any wood, stone, or other matter or thing, or shall unlawfully and maliciously take up, remove, or displace any rail, sleeper, or other matter or thing belonging to any railway, or shall unlawfully and maliciously turn, move, or divert any points or other machinery belonging to any railway, or shall unlawfully and maliciously make or show, hide or remove, any signal or light upon or near to any railway, or shall unlawfully and maliciously do or cause to be done any other matter or thing, with intent, in any of the cases aforesaid, to obstruct, upset, overthrow, injure, or destroy any engine, tender, carriage, or truck using such railway, shall be guilty of felony, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be kept in penal servitude for life . . .

Modifications etc. (not altering text)
C1Reference to penal servitude for life to be construed as reference to imprisonment for life or any shorter term: Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(1)

:ugh:

minilad747
15th Jun 2008, 12:22
Ah thanks for that SOTV I dont sign that way so wasnt sure of the situation.
I remember my worst experience was about 7 years ago heading for Liverpool with an 86 and 7 Mk2s...Rounding a corner running on greens to find a a signal put back to red on me. Slammed the lot in and rounded a corner to see a 156 in the distance unaware of which line it was on. Pulled up right next to it (fortunately on the up line as I was on the down) to find the driver had put the clips down because the local chavs had decided to put a 3 foot high mountain of bricks and rubble on the track. Definately a change of underwear situation.