PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPs 3+ ; Free downloadable maps?

Mo Heekan
11th Mar 2001, 23:45
Hi,

Does anyone know of a website that you can download free maps for a Garmin 3 + gps from?

I know you can buy them, but being a typical pilot, I don't like to pay for things (it's the standard 3 wives and 9 kids scenario ;)

Thanking you in advance

Mo

Feret
12th Mar 2001, 07:07
This unit was not available in Australia so I bought one in the U.S. That meant it came with the U.S. map database installed and only had capital city locations for here. I was unable to find any download site for maps so, like you, would be interested if there are any.
I eventually purchased the Garmin MapSource WorldMap CD on the Net and install the maps from that. When away from home on very long trips, I use a laptop to add/delete maps as required. BTW, the maps for this neck of the woods are in serious need of an update. On a recent trip to the centre of the country, I found that occasionally the map was up to 15 (FIFTEEN!) kilometres in error and at other times it was spot on. Usually around major populated areas (like the east coast) and in the major cities the map is pretty accurate. It is very handy for orientation though and the tracklog great for finding your way back in the bush, or in your case, the desert!

Mo Heekan
16th Mar 2001, 19:52
Thanks Feret. I'll let you know if i find anywhere that does allow downloads. It seems from your post that the World Map isn't worth the purchse?!!

Tell me what you think.

Thanks again

Regards
Mo

Feret
17th Mar 2001, 09:10
Mo,
I find the map data to be of some use in remote areas here as it shows lakes, rivers, railways and major roads and highways etc. The road/highway numbers appear on the screen (making it very useful in major cities) as do river names. I think the map error problem stems from the lack of accurate digital data for this region. I used the unit in the U.S. and it was excellent over there by comparison. As there are specific CDs for Europe it should be OK there also.
To answer your question - No, it is probably not really worth if you don't mind just having a screen with waypoints only. I previously had a Garmin 45 which gave me just that so I bought the MapSource WorldMap for the III+ to at least give me some map data. Put it this way - Even though there may be inaccuracies, I would buy it again. What is the point of purchasing a unit with this capability and not using it, when there are much cheaper alternatives available? I hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Feret.