PDA

View Full Version : ATR 42/72 FO looking for a chance ANYWHERE

pablo2973
13th Jun 2008, 15:53
Hi everyone , I wonder if someone can help me out , I have posted in the past several threads looking for a chance in the ATR 42/72 as FO ,I still havent been lucky enough to find that airline who would give me the chance , I have just renewed the JAR ATR type rating and medical , I have 525h TT unfortunately no hours on type ,its very difficult as you know get hours on type if you dont have a job flying it ,right ?
I´m looking for a job ANYWHERE in the world ,I also have all vaccinations required in Africa ,and could fly inmediately .
I have already tried and talk to the usual airlines in Europe and Asia,I´m looking for that airline, the one that you know but no one else ,because is small or just starting.
thank you all. ;)

TheFlyingDJ
13th Jun 2008, 16:02
Hi, it's a tough (aviation) world so just keep trying. I can imagine it's hard.
The only thing I can help you with is the two wiki pages with a list of operators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_42
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_72

I have looked at the website of atraircraft too but couldc't find a customers list, so maybe you know where to find it, you could get a very complete customer list and check that as well.

Thats how I've sent every A320 user in the world a letter.

Keep it going and good luck.

Rhodes13
13th Jun 2008, 16:34
One has to ask why you went and speculated on a type rating without a job at the end.

Unfortunately you are in a catch 22 no hours on type so no one will employ you. Have you tried actually doing the normal thing and building hours as a FI or by going bush flying or something?

It sucks to say this but maybe it would be better to kiss the money good by and start at the bottom. No point in keeping a type current that you aren't going to fly and the chances would be getting smaller by the day especially in the current market.

Once again Caveat Empor

pablo2973
13th Jun 2008, 16:44
Thank you very much for your answer ,I have built the time I´ve got in Dominican Republic ,flying small twins and singles,but not many people hire you with piston time either ,believe me I have tried everything already ,I´m not the kind of guy with money in the bank ,otherwise I would not be here at the age of 37 ...... waiting for my first job ,by the way I flew almost for free in Dom Republic , I cannot understand why you criticise people without knowing anything at all about them ,If I had to explain everything I´ve done to get a job the thread would be way too long and not many of you would read it either....
thanks anyway

IRISHPILOT
13th Jun 2008, 17:04
R13, it seems you know very little about the European market. No, one does not have to ask, however if you want to do this on your own thread, you are welcome to, even though this has been done to death... it should be self evident why Pablo did this.

The market is not too bad here, have you tried with FAT and DAE? both are not the best, but at least it is a job. - DAE tends to take anyone, a little more difficult with FAT, but both are quite desperate. I believe both bond you for 2 years even though you are rated :sad: but of course R13 knows all that...

good luck! IP

wheresmyelephant
13th Jun 2008, 17:52
AURIGNY. all the gen i've looked at say all they seem to be interested in is the type rating....

Flying Farmer
13th Jun 2008, 18:47
Avanti might be worth a shot with a rating, nice company so I'm told.

saucy jack
13th Jun 2008, 18:51
Pablo,

I tried earlier to post a link to atlanticexpress.co.uk which is the former ATR part of Atlantic Airlines in coventry...it now operates under the AOC of Sky Blue Aviation in Exeter with 1 or 2 planes I believe. You would need to contact Sky Blue who at one stage recently were offering line-training without cost and with expenses paid...if nothing else would get your hours moving. Sky Blue's contact info is on the atlanticexpress website.

If you are of spanish origin have you checked Top Fly in Barcelona?

I believe White Eagle Aviation from Poland are also now operating in Spain and may be glad of spanish speakers.

Best of luck...your persistence will pay off in the end!!

Rhodes13
13th Jun 2008, 20:33
I know a lot about the european market thanks seeing as I fly for a company based in the UK.

Listen Pablo the last thing I would admit to in a PROFESSIONAL pilots forum is flying for free, the last thing we need is more of your ilk willing to do anything to fly.

No offense I dont give a toss that you are 37. That should have come into the equation when you started flying that you may never make it to an airline and you should have judged whether you still wanted to be a pilot and planned accordingly! Have you tried working for a charter company? The old saying is you have to be in the right place at the right time. It took me four long hard years living in the back of beyond before I was lucky enough to get an airline job.

Its sad to see wannabes on here every other week bemoaning that I bought X type rating and Im xx years old so I cant afford to take my time. But thems the breaks and unfortunately thats how the industry works.

The major problem you are going to face is that any airline you go to will want another type rating from you done to their standards so you've effectively pissed your money away!

Its sad to see a once proud profession resorting to the lowest common denominator and yes Irish i know its been done to death but hopefully someone will one day learn not to prostitute themselves at any cost. And I stand by my comments that now isnt the best time to be looking for a job with NO time on type on a niche aircraft! :ouch:

DrJones
13th Jun 2008, 21:25
Rhodes 13 as it appears you work for FR don’t you think your statement

"someone will one day learn not to prostitute themselves at any cost"

is a bit hypercritical.

pablo2973
13th Jun 2008, 23:13
Rhodes 13 , to give an argument like that ,you have to know the person really well indeed and see his or her progress over the years and all the effort one has put to be be part of this industry, you have no IDEA whatsoever of anything related to me ,so you cannot judge ,just like that someone without knowing him or his circumstances . I´m sure if you know a little bit of me you would be the first one to put a constructive answer to help me out .

perceval
14th Jun 2008, 02:04
you should try precision air in dar es salaam (Tanzania ) . They need pilots and will take type rated foreigners . Look up their website and call them (I recommend getting in touch verbally rather than CV on email ) . Money is OK to get by , not brilliant , but you will build hours quickly ...and Dar is good fun .
pm for more infos if you'd like .
and good luck anyway ...

powerstall
14th Jun 2008, 03:39
Try out Vietnam Airlines, they are currently looking for type rated FO's on the ATR.

http://www.vietnamairlines.com.vn/

Hope this helps out in anyway. :ok:

Rhodes13
14th Jun 2008, 08:12
Dr Jones I never said dont buy a type rating what I said is dont speculate. If you join most companies they will ask for the money back somehow so if you have the guarantee of a job its a little bit more palatable although not nice. I dont like the system but thats how it is.

Pablo you still seem to be defending working for free and most of the guys here seem to be brushing over it. How could you do such things and call yourself a professional aviator?

You probably have worked really hard but so have many other people the big difference is that they havent worked for free! Life is tough and especially this industry. Just because you can afford a type rating doesnt mean you can fly one.
You say no company wants piston time. Ill say you are lying. I came to Europe with nothing but piston time and found a job, had three job offers actaully so your either not looking hard enough or dont want to fly unless its in turbine equipment. Whats wrong with going to work for a company that starts you on twins and works up from there, or shock horror going to africa and getting a paid job and working your way up from the start?

But im sure youll come back and say I dont know you and that youve worked really hard and tried everything else and that this is the only option.

Anyways its seems as though Im talking to a brick wall as your type will never learn and will continue to be a drag on the rest of us.

lokione
15th Jun 2008, 00:55
Pacific Air are advertising for ATR pilots - both Captains and F/Os. Check it out anyway cheers Loki

hardcase
16th Jun 2008, 21:22
Air Contractors have recently hired some FO's with no time on type. Also Aurigny need FO's i hear....

good luck
:ok:

tyfilou
17th Jun 2008, 13:56
Hi Pablo,

If you really are ready to suffer in Africa... Go there!
Your non-experience is typical of people flying there at some places...
People go to Africa to get experience and either they survive and come back with it... or they die! I've lost two good friends there, it's not a joke!
You can try Solenta Aviation Pty ltd (Offices in Johannesburg) flying DHL routes in west africa... been there, done it... Good luck!

Regards

tyfilou

saucy jack
17th Jun 2008, 15:53
Talking of Africa, I gather Interstate Airlines of Maastricht are now operating their 42-500 in Nigeria for Virgin.

Trans Maldivian Airways are also now using an ATR 42-300 alongside their fleet of Twin Otters although I have been told you will not build hours quickly there...

Quite a few ideas here for you Pablo, we are trying!....or has nothing been suggested yet which you did not already know about and try?

Do let us know.

stancioiu
18th Jun 2008, 13:48
Try TAROM in Romania. They operate ATR 42-500 and are in need for pilots.

CathayBrat
18th Jun 2008, 16:24
I have to agree with Rhodes13 and tyfilou, get some time under your belt, and the best way to do that is in the dark continent. Did it for 6 years, best flying and fun you can ever have in an aeroplane, ( 10 ft over the Serengeti at 160kts!). ALL will start in a Piston, as they should, you cant play with big toys untill you know how to crawl. You may get in with Precision, but they will not look at you unless u have a TZ license, ask soapbox cowboy in the africa forum for more details.
"Pablo you still seem to be defending working for free and most of the guys here seem to be brushing over it. How could you do such things and call yourself a professional aviator?":D:D:D Nuf said, who the hell works for free these days!
I now have JAA Atpl, FAA atpl both with IR, 2000hrs+, no type rating as i dont want to narrow my options. Waiting to hear back from some companies, if i get an offer that needs me to fund my own type rating may turn it down, as i think if the company wants you, they should train you to their standard's, not some out sourced company that only wants your money. These have sprung up because people will pay for a rating after flight school to try to pad out their CV, but seriously, who wants a very low houred pilot up front! Having said that their are some (few and far between) jobs for baby pilots, AURIGNY is a good bet, but 99% guaranteed that you will start on the BN2, lovely plane to learn twin, v forgiving, and with a ATR rating, you may get a slot up to theirs. Basic lesson, almost no one will take a pilot with v low hours, so suck it up, leave your pride and ego behind and go bush flying, in Africa or any other inhospitible place, and get some experiance. As tyfilou says, what doesnt kill you will only make you stronger:E
This is not directed at Pablo, but all baby pilots who whine " Where is the shiney jet job the flight school promised me! " They will tell you anything to get your money, and thats where the fu:mad:ers interest stops! Slow to find you a plane slot, but let your acc go into the red and see some fast movement!
Best of luck
The Brat
TRIC

johnnyDB
19th Jun 2008, 12:16
http://www.flydae.com/

they used to have several ATRs and took on people with only the rating.

mirkorak
30th Jun 2008, 05:38
Farnair Swiss,
Air Arann, Ireland

wind check
30th Jun 2008, 07:16
seriously, who wants a very low houred pilot up front! Having said that their are some (few and far between) jobs for baby pilots, AURIGNY is a good bet, but 99% guaranteed that you will start on the BN2, lovely plane to learn twin, v forgiving, and with a ATR rating, you may get a slot up to theirs

As far as i know, the pilots flying the BN2 in Aurigny have thousands of hours at least, and some of them are ex airbus/boeing/dash pilots. It does make sense actually if you look at this type of operation (single pilot, basic cockpit similar to a Seneca, basic instruments, no autopilot, piston engines, all together with a typically bad weather such as strong crosswinds/variable winds and low RVR).
On the other hand ATR pilots in Aurigny are joining with no experience, and some of them don´t even have any type rating when they are called for a job interview. One of the main reason why people with experience are not going to Aurigny is that the salary and conds are very poor. That is also why the turnover is pretty high.

Pablo, try contact all the ATR operators and you will increase your chances to be invited for an interview. WestAir has not been mentioned in that topic so try them as well.

good luck