PDA

View Full Version : Unable to download

Binoculars
5th Dec 2001, 14:14
I don't seem to be unable to download anything at all; from tucows, download.com, zdnet etc. I even tried to download a file attachment today and got the same result; basically a freeze of IE6. A CtrlAltDel tells me that IE is not responding, and shutting it down and reopening it is the only way to get going again. I wonder if this is still a hangover from the badtrans virus, although Inoculate tells me my system is clear. I never noticed any actual symptoms of having the virus at the time. The only other thing I can think of that's changed recently was installing IE6, which I didn't really want to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

I hope I'm not duplicating again; I didn't want to put this on the badtrans thread in case it had nothing to do with it.

Ausatco
5th Dec 2001, 15:18
FWIW, Binoculars, I'm using IE6 with Win98SE fully updated through the MS Update site and it's as solid as a rock on a rather Jurassic PII 233 MMX 256Mb. Wondering why you didn't really want to upgrade to IE6 but ended up with it?? My experience is there's less code, it's faster and more stable, so cannot figure why anyone wouldn't want it.

Dunno about after effects from your virus though. So far, never been infected (touch wood), so no experience to talk from. Good luck with your fault tracing, wish I could help.

Your profile indicates we enjoy the same employer. You probably already know this, but in case you don't ...

Our employer has a corporate licence for VET (http://www.vet.com.au) anti-virus software. The licence covers all employees and their home computers, so you get a legit service, free, with free updates. You can get the prog and its most recent update via any networked company computer. May be worth a try as an alternative to the one you're using now.

Cheers

AA

[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: Ausatco ]

Binoculars
5th Dec 2001, 17:20
Thanks, AA. I've been using Vet for about 5 years without problems. About 18 months ago they were taken over by Inoculate IT, an American firm, who provided a free service for a time. At the beginning of this year they started charging, but for Vet customers the fee was something like US$5, so I signed up. I'm delighted with their service. Every time there is any update they email me letting me know, I select auto download and in two minutes I'm up to date. This happens on average once a day, sometimes twice; excellent peace of mind. And it is still the Vet software.

After apparently letting the badtrans slip through, with no obvious effects that I have noticed so far, their support (again, quick response) suggested quite strongly that I download IE6. I was reluctant because of one negative report I had heard, and because IE5 wasn't broken, so I didn't want to fix it! I have noticed since installing IE6 that I keep getting messages that say "We apologize but there has been an error and we have to close this program" or words to that effect. Apart from that, there's been no real difference, in fact I can't see any changes in day to day use. Wonder why they bothered, actually.

Ausatco
6th Dec 2001, 15:16
Binocs,

I knew they'd been taken over, but I didn't take any notice of who it was.

I don't get the error messages that you get in IE6 - my upgrade from IE5.5 was quite seamless. Why did they do it? I think it's a bit faster and there are a few bells and whistles that I have found and undoubtedly some that I haven't. Having said that, I agree with you, IE5.5 didn't really need fixing - but the minor enhancements and speed increase are nice.

Cheers

AA

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: Ausatco ]

Binoculars
8th Dec 2001, 15:43
I have fixed the problem, in case it's worth anything to anyone else. Or at least I have removed the problem and can download again.

In Add/Remove Programs, when Internet Explorer is selected, an option exists to return to your previous browser. I tried that, and lo and behold IE6 was uninstalled, I was returned to IE5 as my browser and I can now download again, even if it sent my address book into the ether. (Why do I suspect it wouldn't work if your previous browser was Netscape?) :)

This was obviously a new feature on IE6 as the same option doesn't appear in IE5, but who cares? I can download again, whooo hooo!!!

Ausatco
9th Dec 2001, 04:05
Binocs,

Being an inveterate and curious fiddler, if it was me in your shoes I'd be wanting to know why IE6 didn't work and I'd probably download the update again and try a second time.

If you have the patience, time and on-line hours to spare, it maybe worth downloading IE6 from the MS Windows Update site again - clutching at straws here, but maybe you got a bad file first time around. In the installer, there's an advanced option to save all the files to disk for later installation, rather than install on receipt and have no saved copy. That way you can reinstall again and again if you want to without having to download each time.

Then again, if you're happy with IE5 ...

Cheers

AA