PDA

View Full Version : call to all fish-heads and aviators (Sydney side)

wessex19
13th Jun 2008, 14:16
I am a ex navy FAA man who is currently on the Newtown Sub-branch of the RSL. We are currently in a pickle and I would like the help of PPrune's ex-servicemen where possible. I am looking for volunteers who are both serving and ex servicemen and woman. We are one of the oldest Sub-branches in Australia.We are in a very unique position in that we have only about 50 members (of which about 40 of them are in their late 80's) and about a dozen of us that are in their 40's to 60's. This year at our monthly meetings, we have announce the passing of a member every month. We need to bring in a new generation of men/woman to keep this once great club alive.

What makes us so unique?? Financially, We are a very wealthy club, however we are running out of men. We have just purchased an old church hall in the back of Newtown for 2.6 million and have spent over half a million on renovations. What we are looking for are capable and good men/woman to join and help us keep this club alive.
We are a generous club in that not one cent of your money is needed (so moderators this is not an advert!!! it is a plea), we pay for blazers, trousers, ties etc membership fees to ANZAC house and any costs involved with your association.
When our Sub-branch was formed pre WW2, we had over 1200 members peaking post WW2 with over 2500 Sub-Branch members. We were one of the first Sub-Branches formed in Australia and at one stage the largest. Newtown had a man from every street in that suburb killed in the first war. Over the last 10 years the club has been slowly dieing in regards to numbers and myself amongst a few others are trying to keep the club alive.
In looking through our records we have had men who have been awarded the DFC, MC and even had the last surviving man who was on the first landing party on ANZAC Cove.
The dirty dozen of new generation members come from a varied background such as a HMAS Voyager survivor, Navy pilot and Observer, Royal Marine, RNZAF, Infantry men, 3 RAR digger and even a Sapper.
Tommorrow Saturday 14th June we will be having a few beers for invited potential new members. Any eligible Ppruner would be more than welcome to come and meet the guys.
As a Sub-branch, we have donated more money to charity than any other in our district, and all you would be required to do is give about 3 hours a month. We also have the most generous beer issue in Sydney!!! Please PM