PDA

View Full Version : Three Flying Forts at Flying Legends...

treadigraph
13th Jun 2008, 08:59
Just seen that The Fighter Collection is expecting three B-17s to be flying at the Flying Legends display at Duxford in July. :ok:

Don Brook's "Liberty Bell" is coming over from the USA for a short tour and will be joined by the French "Pink Lady" and, of course, our very own "Sally B", providing her engine problem can be fixed in time.

Pity they can't get "Mary Alice" out of the USAF museum building to join them on the flight line...

Nopax,thanx
13th Jun 2008, 19:58
We have also started a blog with daily updates during the countdown to 'Flying Legends'

http://fighter-collection.com/pages.php

Look forward to seeing all fellow PPRuNers there!!

treadigraph
22nd Jun 2008, 22:17
See the reminder there that The Fighter Collection actually owned a B-17 for a bit in the 1980s... Presume it was more for trade than a serious part of the collection.

snapper41
26th Jun 2008, 11:08
I remember going to Duxford one day in the late 80s or early 90s, to see the amazing sight of 5 B-17s taxying, taking off, and formating before going off to do some filming for 'Memphis Belle'. That was quite something to see!

Avitor
26th Jun 2008, 11:28
I remember them coming home from missions. Holes in them, engines shot up, very lights for preferential landing as wounded were aboard.

And the flyer's in my City enjoying short periods off active service.

Flight tests during the day and forming up early mornings prior to meeting their fate over enemy territory. A lasting memory. I pay tibute to all of them.

barit1
26th Jun 2008, 11:55
If you get a chance to step inside Liberty Belle, look carefully at the fuselage stringers in the area just aft of the waist guns. Every one has been spliced - very professionally - where the fuselage was reassembled after tornado damage in 1979 (http://www.libertyfoundation.org/history-libertybelle.html) at Bradley Air Museum in Connecticut. A huge amount of work went into rebuilding Liberty Belle! :ok:

treadigraph
26th Jun 2008, 12:18
3?? That's nothing!

:ok:

I would love to have managed to see that sight. So sad that one was demolished in the take off accident at Binbrook. :{

Pity there are no airworthy P-47s in Europe at the moment...

Barit, I remember Liberty Belle was in Tom Reilly's hangar at Kissimmee when I last went there in 1999. I don't recall quite what state she was in but I'm sure the fuselage was still in several pieces and that major restoration had not started at that stage.

That hangar sure was a Tardis, looked tiny from outside but was crammed full of interesting aeroplanes. I'm pretty sure there was another B-17 packed in there as well! The work these guys do is fantastic... Is Tom still working on anything or has he "retired" now?

Cheers

Treadders

kms901
26th Jun 2008, 18:13
Avitor, I will never forget the only time I took my mother to Flying Legends. In the midst of the final Balbo, she was very quiet. I looked over and saw she was crying.
I asked her why. She said " I'm sorry, It's just that I can remember those formations full of gaps and smoking aeroplanes"

Never be sorry, and never forget.

treadigraph
30th Jun 2008, 19:01
Libery Bell is now on her way to the UK. Safe journey chaps...:ok:

KMS I will happily admit to a slight dampness of the eyes during the balbo - it's a very evocative moment, even though I was born 19 years after the end of the war.

Treadders

goudie
30th Jun 2008, 19:21
B17's are fixed firmly in my memory after seeing one crash and burst into flames at RAF Halton. Another one ended up with its nose over the boundary fence but intact, we village kids dodged the guards to rifle its contents of candy, gum, perspex and the odd 20mm round

Rafair7643
1st Jul 2008, 18:52
The B-17 N390TH is due to fly from Goose Bay, Canada to Narsarsuaq, Greenland today.

Routing via Prestwick to Duxford.

You can track it's progress here;

www.flightexplorer.com/libertybelle (http://www.flightexplorer.com/libertybelle)

Cheers

Stew

treadigraph
1st Jul 2008, 19:22
Now en route Narsarssuaq to Reykjavik. :ok:

For anyone wondering what it's doing so far north of route, it's visited the Lost Squadron site.

Wondering if anyone is working at recovering the other P-38s this summer? I had heard a while ago that German team were supposed to be having a crack, but nothing since.

barit1
2nd Jul 2008, 12:49
Now enroute to Prestwick.

Nopax,thanx
3rd Jul 2008, 11:16
Now safely at EGPK; the guys (and Gal!) are having a well-earned rest day. They will arrive at Duxford tomorrow between 1100 and midday. Looking forward to seeing y'all! :ok:

barit1
4th Jul 2008, 18:06
I was once on TDY at Prestwick about Nov. 86 or 87. The rest of UK was fogged in but PIK had about two dozen widebodies diverted there, awaiting the weather to lift...

... just like WWII! :}

barit1
5th Jul 2008, 13:48
Liberty Belle looks to be about an hour away from Duxford. Enjoy! :)

Cuillin
5th Jul 2008, 19:03
I believe she is at Biggin Hill at the moment - saw her transiting east of Stansted yesterday on her way southbound.

WHBM
9th Jul 2008, 10:39
Unfortunately the BBC weather forecast is for heavy rain both Duxford show days. Hope its not washed out.

Bill16STN
9th Jul 2008, 14:33
I don't want to poo on the parade, but it looks like Sally B is out. :{
- needs another engine if anyone has one laying around? :confused:

Weather: I reckon Sunday will be the better day? :)

PPRuNe Pop
10th Jul 2008, 05:57
Metcheck give both days as non-wet days. Temps as 17c.

Bus429
10th Jul 2008, 16:09
See the reminder there that The Fighter Collection actually owned a B-17 for a bit in the 1980s... Presume it was more for trade than a serious part of the collection.
N900RW or something like that? Ex-Warbirds of Great Britain. I was involved in putting a ferry radio pack on the aircraft at Duxford in about 1987.

I remember reading the pilot's report of the trip back to the USA stating that the VOR indicator worked like a windscreen wiper! Tested fine with the NAV 401 on installation; been waiting years to make this point!

treadigraph
10th Jul 2008, 18:33
Bus429, that's the one, ex G-FORT and F-BEEC (?) with IGN.

Sally B seems to definitely be out sadly, but I assume she'll be out on the line with the other two at least.