PDA

View Full Version : In-flight Conditions if Applicable

Bula
13th Jun 2008, 07:29
Does anyone have a reference on the inflight conditions to be reported on contact with approach?

I'm used to visual, Visual on top, In cloud but someone told me the other day that this had all been removed (6-7 years ago apparently)... I must have been hiding under a rock.

Any takers

Dragun
13th Jun 2008, 08:13
Yea was discussing this one the other day. Apparently changed recently from "visual/in cloud/on top" to either "visual" or not reporting anything. ATC either want to know if you're visual or not. If you're not, you don't say anything other than level and ATIS info and only report 'runway XX in sight' to director (where applicable) later on.

Capt Wally
13th Jun 2008, 09:47
What Dragun says is pretty much true, but not to most inc the airline drivers who are meant to be at the top of the tree & sharp ar a whip leading by Example!
I don't think anyone really cares ATC themselves often say non std R/T procedures, we all do, human nature simple as that:ok:

CW

Capn Bloggs
13th Jun 2008, 11:20
Onya Wally! Unfortunately, the airline pilot of today (well, their radio procs) is not a patch on yesteryear. So don't look to them for guidance.

ATC either want to know if you're visual or not. If you're not, you don't say anything other than level and ATIS info and only report 'runway XX in sight' to director (where applicable) later on.
This was the way it was BEFORE the superb ICAO RT arrived. In fact, AIP was reasonably clear on this call: you called "visual" if appropriate, which meant if you could do a Visual approach, then you said Visual, if not, keep your trap shut. I recall there was a note explaining the call. On top? Who cares? Proceed on the STAR/Radar descent until you get visual. If you never get visual, Inst Apps were probably on the ATIS so your follow the dials and land.

If at a non-radar tower, you called your inflight condition every time because that determined what the controller would give you - a visual app or a DME Arrival (for example).

Now, AIP is as clear as mud. It has the same call text as the old days, but not the explanatory text. :ugh:

Bula
22nd Jun 2008, 10:31
its nice to know what people think... Anyone have any Jepp reference.

My Jepps still say level, ATIS code and "in-flight conditions" if applicable.

Any references for in-flight conditions?

Howard Hughes
22nd Jun 2008, 10:54
On top? Who cares?
What about this one which I must have heard hundreds of times..."Visual on top of scattered"!

If I wanted a weather report, I would ring the MET OFFICE! :rolleyes:

PS: I like threads which make me go and get the books out...:ok:

Dragun
22nd Jun 2008, 23:00
Bula

That is the reference you're looking for. I think the discussion here is the interpretation of the words 'if appropriate'. There is nothing detailed for that.

ATC only want to know whether you're visual or not as it changes their separation criteria.