PDA

View Full Version : Beechcraft Skipper V's Cessna

Integro
13th Jun 2008, 05:56
Good Afternoon all, just started training in a Skipper at the advice of the School I'm flying with.

However the Cessna 172 is only $25 more per hour which air craft do you think I should be flying?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
13th Jun 2008, 06:25
G'Day Integro',

Just a suggestion...

Why not learn in the Skipper at the cheaper rate, then, when you have qualified, do the 172 'endorsement' with the $$'ss you have saved.:)

That way, you will have the benefit of being able to comfortably fly both aircraft, and carry your passengers, at approx the same $'ss.:ok:

Fly safe.....

Jabawocky
13th Jun 2008, 06:31
You can buy my Jab in a month or so and fly it for way less $$, go faster and carry more............ and then keep flying!:ok:

J:ok:

Tiger 77
13th Jun 2008, 11:53
You can buy my Jab in a month or so and fly it for way less $$, go faster and carry more............ and then keep flying!

How much do u want for it? I'm kinda looking for something like that.

Sorry for the thread drift btw...

Tiger

Capt Wally
13th Jun 2008, 23:28
hey 'jaba' can't give the jabawocky away hey?:E

Somebody will love yr 'wocky', just not sure why!:E
Nice day down here.....NOT:bored:
Good advice, fly the little toy plane then get checked out on the Cessna, it's not an endorsement as such anyway but the idea of having access to both at the end of the day is good.

CW:ok:

Mr Milk
14th Jun 2008, 10:18
Jaba you knob. The cessnas, pipers and beech will still be flyin long, long after your jab has been recycled into happy meal toys. Are you buying a part share in your siamese twin's bonanza?:}
Integro stick with the skipper until you want to pay more. fly as many types as you can mate:ok:

FlyCessna
14th Jun 2008, 10:40
Amen to Mr Milk,

We're talking about AEROPLANES.... not fibreglass S**Tboxes...
Too many jabs buzzing around as it is :ok:

airman1
14th Jun 2008, 12:13
Now Now ... The jabs are to some extent an aircraft too, but I must say they perform best when parked in the hanger :eek:

Integro,

Get as much experience in as many different types of aircrafts as you can (bank balance permitting). It all helps the learning experience and will also help you adapt rather quickly to other aircraft in the future.:ok:

Ultralights
14th Jun 2008, 12:38
We're talking about AEROPLANES.... not fibreglass S**Tboxes...
Too many jabs buzzing around as it is

hmm am i the only one that sees the irony in this statement! if they were sh***boxes, why are there so many around??

not only that, there are plenty of the original LSA series Jabirus still around, 15 yrs old already, and approaching the 10,000 hr mark...:ok: not bad for a ****ebox that only cost $50k! new..:ok:

FlyCessna
14th Jun 2008, 19:44
Correct Mr Ultralights,

Perhaps i should clarify a little.... from what i have seen in a training environment, the jabs do not hold up so well - im sure they are great for a run about once you have your licence etc, however, im sorry to say that for me its still "sbox" :ok:

VH-XXX
14th Jun 2008, 23:10
A fully loaded J430 Jabiru will out perform an empty 172 and do it for less than half the cost, faster. End of competition.

What else does 120 knots on 20 litres an hour and carries more than its' empty weight...?

Rant over.

Mr Milk
15th Jun 2008, 02:08
VH-XXX You sound like one of those tooradin W**Kers.

so you would love jabs and probly own the one that sounds the W*ank horn if you move the thing.

I dont care what it will out perform it is still just an ultralight, they are great for a look around but gimme a REAL ****box anyday

rant over

Capt Wally
15th Jun 2008, 03:56
no matter what you love to fly it's when it comes to selling it what matters at the end of the day. Spam cans although don't come anywhere near a 'flying surfboards' capabilities when it comes to sell time you can always sell a spam can easily, I think that a lot of people are a little cautious of buying something that can't be repaired as easily by way of bolting on a new panel. I wouldn't like to imagine what lurks under all that glue & composite stuff over time when they have been bashed around a bit. As usual horses for courses & personal opinions, like Holdens & fords I just happen like the old sh*t boxes better that's all:ok:
And lets face it when you see a Jab for Eg just about everyone thinks of a homebuilt!:)
Even the likes of good 'ole 'jabawocky' is seeing the light & i thought he was a huge fan of 'toy planes':E

CW:)

Cap'n Arrr
15th Jun 2008, 05:56
At the risk of being seen to be stirring the pot

hmm am i the only one that sees the irony in this statement! if they were sh***boxes, why are there so many around??

There's plenty of excels on the road as well:E

Integro, stick with the skipper. The 172 won't get you your licence any faster, but you'll save enough from doing your GFPT in the Skipper to do a check in the 172 after you're done. Then you've flown more than one aircraft, which, as has been said, can only be a good thing!:ok:

Clearedtoreenter
15th Jun 2008, 07:56
A fully loaded J430 Jabiru will out perform an empty 172 and do it for less than half the cost, faster. End of competition.

What else does 120 knots on 20 litres an hour and carries more than its' empty weight...?

I often have the pleasure of one of those restart 172SP's. Sorry, I just cannot help feeling comfortable, safe and relaxed in it. Y'know, the Jabby does not give that same feeling - and guess whats usually holding the circuit traffic these days... its not a 172, a Skipper or a 152.... its a Jabby .....

They don't come near a REAL aeroplane

Capt Wally
15th Jun 2008, 12:12
Just as a side drift here (mods/nazis will shoot me no doubt) I was chatting to an owner of an experimental thingy today (can't think of it's name, low wing all metal & no not an RV anything) that had one of those toy 6 cyl engines in it from Bundaberg, 3.3 ltr? Anyway he's had this thing since new about 3 yrs & has had no end of trouble with it. Heating probs & mixture probs. Changed the oil cooler to a decent one, modified the cowl, cowl exit holes area etc. He's no amature by the sounds of things (mature chap owned many planes) Sounds like the 6 cyl is a troubled engine, any comments to support same 4 or 6? Now I know why I'd stick to the spam cans, old, dated, slow but RELIABLE!:)

CW

Jabawocky
15th Jun 2008, 12:55
Wally

Like all things, outboards for example, its often the owner and or the fiddler that gives rise to such stories.

The good old trustyl Lycomings and Conty's have just as much if not more history of problems yet they seem to have people turning a blind eye to it. Heck I am about to have one!

We have 620 hours of Nill trouble, never let me down once and going strong, last leak down was very good too!

So its not all that it seems I am afraid.

Mr Milk, I would be a little careful with your language mate, you never know when some silly statement like that will come back to bite you on the ar$e....... and you just do not know!

To answer your question ...... No I am not. Will be a brand new spam can thanks! Location 1400km SSE of the FTDK

J:ok:

Capt Wally
15th Jun 2008, 21:07
..................So its not all that it seems I am afraid..........No need to be 'afraid' Jaba, although I can understand why:E:E Like I said at least you have seen the light buddy:ok:
I think that aero engines of any discription would be a little more 'wanting' in the way of reliability & engineering than say some outboard motor!:)

After talking to the 'fiddler' I don't believe he wanted to 'fiddle' with it in the first place he'd rather fly it & by the sounds of things flying is the last thing he's able to do with the bonnet up so much!:bored: In fact it's a standing joke around the clubhouse when his hanger door is open they assume he has it again in bits & not by choice either!:)
A quick Google search on jaba engine problems & they pop in their millions, hmmmm:) Still I agree Lyc's & Conty's have their problems as well.

CW:ok:

Ultralights
15th Jun 2008, 23:24
Rotax 9 series engines, i would trust to fly across the pacific...

the jabiru engine.... hmmmmm i still fly like im in my vampire with a 2 stroke.. always on the lookout for a landing place.. just in case. though the only engine failure i have ever had has been a Continental.:eek:

OpsNormal
15th Jun 2008, 23:34
Clearedtoreenter wrote:

Y'know, the Jabby does not give that same feeling - and guess whats usually holding the circuit traffic these days... its not a 172, a Skipper or a 152.... its a Jabby .....

They don't come near a REAL aeroplane

No, in my experience it is usually the "real aeroplane" C152/172s in the coastal NSW CTAF that I often transit that get in the way and wont fit in with the inbound RPT and other turbine circuit traffic just because they can. It is the Foxbat, Eurofox, Lightwing and the Jabiru aircraft that are the most courteous of the lot and are quite happy to extend/shorten or hold position to allow us to get in and out of everyone elses way.

Big thumbs-up for you guys - it is much appreciated and works both ways.:ok:

Capt Wally
16th Jun 2008, 07:36
now 'ops' yr talking about airmanship there, not airframe type. The fore mentioned fading fast:bored:
I guess the Rotax jobs are simple engines, 'KISS' alwasy the best when it comes to engine thingies:)
'ultra' at least with a Conty eng failure you feel as though it's real & yr made of real man stuff to handle it, jaba eng failure just glide down stall at 40kts into a padock & go down the pub to tell y mates:ok:

CW