PDA

View Full Version : Trip length = planes age ?

beachfront71
13th Jun 2008, 03:17
Hello and thanks in advance.

I am a FF here in the US and I have always wondered the following:

Do airlines strategically place aircraft based on its route?

What I mean by this is when (for example) I fly from LAX to IAH direct with my favorite airline I am always on a nice, clean and fairly new 737-700.

Now if I am flying through IAH and connecting to SAT (another 180 miles) the second plane is almost guaranteed to be an early 1980's 737-300 that looks beat up, in need of a wash, no glass cockpit, etc...

I am assuming they are both maintained to spec and could easily swap places in terms of flight lengths so what would be other reasons if any?

Thanks and I hope this ? makes sense as it was a bit of a challenge to put into words...

SNS3Guppy
13th Jun 2008, 04:08
You mean, are the newer, more fuel efficient airplanes with longer range capability placed on longer routes where they are more economical and suited to the task, while older, less fuel efficient airplanes with shorter ranges placed on shorter segments? Yes, sometimes. Depends on the airline and the needs.

Very soon you'll see many of the older 737's gone completely.

beachfront71
13th Jun 2008, 13:56
Thanks and appreciate the answer ... makes sense when its put that way which I had never thought about.

my bad..

Notso Fantastic
13th Jun 2008, 16:03
Differing fleet types based at different airports? Makes maintenance/crew rostering more efficient.

beachfront71
15th Jun 2008, 15:51
Thanks.

My follow up question would be, since the newer planes are on the longer routes..are these "older" planes just as reliable as the new ones...

meaning...

lets say you needed a plane to make a 4 hour flight and all you had was the 737.300 I mentioned in the first post...would you have any hesitation flying it?

SNS3Guppy
15th Jun 2008, 16:16
If the aircraft is airworthy and maintained properly, then I have no concerns flying the airplane, or traveling on it.

Some of the airplanes I fly right now are the highest time and oldest aircraft of their type. I leave on one in two hours.

Rainboe
15th Jun 2008, 16:27
Absolutely! Any aeroplane licensed by Western World Licensing authorities will be bang up to scratch and safe to consign one's carcase into! Any. That is not to exclude many Far Eastern or Asian carriers who are just as good. The culprits are pretty obvious.

beachfront71
15th Jun 2008, 20:24
Thanks to all who replied...appreciate it.

N