PDA

View Full Version : Qantas, reducing Japan flights, I don't understand?

AllInGoodTime
12th Jun 2008, 23:27
Can someone explain why Qantas would reduce capacity out of Japan to such a degree. Historically, Japan has been a big market and they clearly like flying on a full service airline. Instead of in difficult times, reducing flights which does nothing but bring bad press, and the media like nothing more than a negative story, why not try the opposite. Hit the market hard, and make a positive news story. Even if it is just good spin, shuffle aircraft around, make it at least look like you are interested in that market. To me, looking at other airlines like Emirates, they look like they develop markets and encourage growth. What has happened here is Qantas will reduce some capacity and save some dollars, but I bet the longer term damgae they do to their name in Japan will be greater then some temporary economic slow down.

Anyway, just a thought, i could be completely wrong on my view of this.

Urshtnme
13th Jun 2008, 02:35
Hmmm a "positive news story"...... that'll never happen in aviation, especially in Australia.

I remember hearing some time ago that the Japanese weren't traveling to Australia as frequently as they used to.