PDA

View Full Version : Skype audio question

747 jock
12th Jun 2008, 22:33
I've finally decided to stop giving so much money to BT, and have set up Skype on my PC.
However, I have a small problem which I'm sure has cropped up before.

I'm using a USB skype phone, and when this is plugged in, the PC audio device (XP Pro) switches to the phone audio software. This is fine, but then the problem is that whenever there is an incoming skype call, the ringing can only be heard through the phone earpiece and not from the PC speakers.

One way around this is to leave the phone unplugged, and just connect it when a call arrives, but I was wondering if there was any way to leave it connected and also have the audio coming from the PC.
The phone I'm using doesn't have a separate ringer. The ringtone is just heard through the earpiece.

Thanks for any advice.

747 jock
13th Jun 2008, 11:04
I can't get it to ring through the PC's speakers because as soon as I plug in the phone, the PC audio switches to the phone and the speakers are disabled.

I think that I might have to see if I can find a USB phone that has an external ringer.

pierrefridez
13th Jun 2008, 12:13
Which version of skype are you using?
Reading in skype community forums (forum.skype.com), this exact problem seems to be general for a certain skype version.

Have you ticked the option "let skype adjust my sound device settings" ?If so, try to untick, which should allow you to set your preferred sound devices.
Another tip from the said forum:
"Under Control Panel>sounds, speech and audio devices, check the Audio tab and make sure that is set to your soundcard. The Voice tab can have your Skype settings"

Hope this is of help...

Sir Lee Bīstard
19th Jun 2008, 06:43
You might like to look at the Dualphone the base unit plugs into the router and allows you to use Skype without the computer being turned on. I think you can have up to 3 remote handsets. I have been using one for about 3 years and am very pleased. Rather more expensive than a plug in bu a great deal more convenient

Keef
21st Jun 2008, 00:18
I don't have the problem.

Skype on my desktop uses a USB headset(with microphone).
Everything else (and Skype "incoming call ring") uses the PC speakers.
Skype itself uses the headset.

Set the PC sound system to use the speakers: right-click on the little speaker icon in the taskbar, select "Adjust Audio Properties", and "Audio" and make sure your speakers are set as the Default Device (might be called something else, but if you do this with the headset unplugged, all will be well).

Then, when plugging in the headset doesn't switch the PC to headset, open Skype (double-clicking the icon in the taskbar will do that), then select "Tools", "Options", "Audio Settings".

Set the Microphone and Speakers in Skype to be your USB device, whatever it's called, and "Ringing" to be "Windows Default Device".

Job done.