PDA

View Full Version : You have to check this guy's blog out. Boys own stuff.

helimutt
12th Jun 2008, 20:52
No doubt TD and co will enjoy this thread on another forum. It's a bit long but the first post is enough to get you completely hooked. Guess I could go excavate some snails in my back garden.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=141&t=543304&i=0

RiscOS
13th Jun 2008, 01:39
I have to agree. This is going to be compulsive reading for the next few weeks.
The guy has received 115 PAGES of replies in one week ! ! !

Sincere thanks, Helimutt, for posting the link.

RiscOs. :ok:

G-CPTN
13th Jun 2008, 01:52
Looks like he's opened a Pandora's Box of 'liability' with no prospect of any 'reward'.
And the 'false floor' is, IMO, just a necessary floor inserted in the otherwise tubular tunnel to provide a flat floor of reasonable width rather than have a semi-circular cross-section. I don't expect there to be anything stored underneath (although I could be wrong, and it would be a useful void to secrete items).
I believe that the previous owner had the right idea to block it off (unless the space is suitable for use, once cleared-out, as a storage shed).

Maybe I'm getting (too) old, but it looks like a money-sponge project to me . . .

Howard Hughes
13th Jun 2008, 10:16
Very interesting, wish I had more time to read further, thanks!:ok:

tony draper
13th Jun 2008, 11:36
Good link Mr H, thanks :ok:
There is a large grassed area in one's park that supposedly has a huge air raid shelter underneath it,covered over after the war and forgotten about.

angels
13th Jun 2008, 11:57
Near where I was bought up there was a small wood (fenced off) which had a bunker in it which was the shelter for an AA emplacement used in the defence of Croydon aerodrome in WW2.

The fences were easily scalable by scallies such as me and we used to have great fun playing in the woods.

The bunker was used by courting couples for 'kissing' etc. We once rigged up a 'Stalin's organ' consisting of about 5 or 6 bombshell repeaters taped togther. We aimed it into the entrance when a couple were inside, lit the blue touchpaper and legged it.

They're probably still deaf from the experience.

I wonder if that bunker is still there?

tony draper
13th Jun 2008, 12:07
It's amazing how quickly abandoned structures are forgotten and not only underground structures, a stick of bombs fell in my Park during the War,they were apparently forgotten about until the early sixties when one was uncovered and the rest dug up with great publicity,yet there must have been thousands of people in the vicinity that knew about them.
:)

Jimmy Macintosh
13th Jun 2008, 16:50
It was a fascinating read, I highly recommend just reading the Blog though.

It was doubtful anything of significance would be in there as it was covered over after the war, hence anything of value would have been removed. (If the Germans had covered it then there was a chance they were burying things that they couldn't take with them.)

Very cool all the same.

I'm intrigued as to when he's going to demolish his garage.

helimutt
13th Jun 2008, 19:32
I can just picture his wifes face as they return home to a huge boulder and jcb sitting there and she says ' where did that come from?'
'Oh i'm just renting a jcb to go on an adventure!'

If you have google earth, go to these co-ordinates and see what one of the guys at work noticed the other day. Flown over it for years and only just saw it through the trees.:--

53 35' 17.27"N 0 12' 47.25"W

Radar66
13th Jun 2008, 20:20
Helimutt... that is absolutely FASCINATING! I'm hooked now - thanks! :ok:

Notso Fantastic
13th Jun 2008, 23:26
What are those concrete holes in the trees? Big underground bunker?

tinpis
14th Jun 2008, 02:14
Roxton Lincs (http://www.subbrit.org.uk/cgi-bin/webdata_roc.pl?fid=988309552.043003&query=Post%2BName%3D%26OS%2BGridRef%3D%26County%3D%26Date%2B opened%3D%26Date%2Bclosed%3D%26Location%3D%26Description%3D% 26Surface%2BStructures%3D%26Date%2Bof%2Bvisit%3D%26Future%2B actions%3D%26pagenum%3D1%26cgifunction%3DSearch&cgifunction=form)

Takes an ozzer to show ya :hmm:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/uploads/988309552.043003_Pic1_roxton1.jpg