PDA

View Full Version : Body scans, is this true?

dazdaz
12th Jun 2008, 18:39
Don't want anyone seeing my willy..................

SECURITY scanners that can see through passengers' clothing and reveal details such as their sex organs, colostomy bags and breast size, are being installed in 10 US airports.

A random selection of travellers getting ready to board airplanes in Washington, New York's Kennedy, Los Angeles and other key hubs will be shut in the glass booths while a three-dimensional image is made of their body beneath their clothes.
The booths close around the passenger and emit "millimetre waves" that go through cloth to identify metal, plastics, ceramics, chemical materials and explosives, according to the Transport Safety Authority.
While it allows the security screeners - looking at the images in a separate room - to clearly see the passenger's sexual organs as well as other details of their bodies, the passenger's face is blurred, TSA said.

The scan only takes seconds and is to replace the physical pat-downs of people that is currently widespread in airports.
TSA began introducing the body scanners in airports in April, first in the Phoenix, Arizona terminal.
The installation is picking up this month, with machines in place or planned for airports in Washington (Reagan National and Baltimore-Washington International), Dallas, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Miami and Detroit.
The new machines have provoked worries among passengers and rights activists.

"People have no idea how graphic the images are," Barry Steinhardt, director of the technology and liberty program at the American Civil Liberties Union, said.
The ACLU said passengers expecting privacy underneath their clothing "should not be required to display highly personal details of their bodies such as evidence of mastectomies, colostomy appliances, penile implants, catheter tubes and the size of their breasts or genitals as a pre-requisite to boarding a plane".

Besides masking their faces, the TSA says on its website, the images made "will not be printed stored or transmitted".
"Once the transportation security officer has viewed the image and resolved anomalies, the image is erased from the screen permanently. The officer is unable to print, export, store or transmit the image."
Lara Uselding, a TSA spokeswoman, said passengers were not obliged to accept the new machines.

"The passengers can choose between the body imaging and the pat-down," she said.
TSA foresees 30 of the machines installed across the country by the end of 2008. In Europe, Amsterdam's Schipol airport is already using the scanners.

Footnote: I presume children may have to pass through this scanner, very dodgy ground if they (eventually) do away with optional 'pat down.

Daz

Mariner9
12th Jun 2008, 18:51
They'll be flogging portable versions on ebay soon I don't doubt. Or it'll come as an option on the next Nokia :E

Salusa
12th Jun 2008, 19:26
I will make sure to tie a ribbon around my willy.

Overdrive
12th Jun 2008, 19:35
I'm gonna tuck mine into me bottom, that'll confuse 'em :ok:

Richard Taylor
12th Jun 2008, 19:38
Hmm...if I travel they're gonna need a bigger booth...;)

rewfly
12th Jun 2008, 19:44
For those, interested this is what it looks like
http://www.modestofamous.com/node/1469

ZH875
12th Jun 2008, 19:48
Well at least people dressed like the 'Dewsbury Dalek' will be happy, as they can keep their faces hidden, and not be subject to a strangers hands finding out where the bombs may be hidden.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
12th Jun 2008, 20:46
Don't worry dazdaz, you'll be ok, I hear the machines don't have a magnification function :E

===

So what's to stop terrorists putting the b*m*s somewhere in their head? Seems a bit pointless really.

Salusa
13th Jun 2008, 03:57
I'm gonna tuck mine into me bottom, that'll confuse 'em

Like your style Overdrive :ok:

I envisage all sorts of opportunities for jesty japes and am looking forward to the introduction of these scanners at an airport near me.

The possibilities for tomfoolery are endless.:E

Codger
13th Jun 2008, 04:56
So, when are they going to issue dosimeters to those that pass through frequently? Perhaps if the backscatter xrays produce enough mutants the staffing issues for Homeland Security will cease to be a problem.

Buster Hyman
13th Jun 2008, 06:17
For those of you that need it...

http://austin.hollywood-costumes.com/assets/images/swedish2.jpg

Get in quick to avoid the rush!

Overdrive
13th Jun 2008, 20:35
For those, interested this is what it looks like
http://www.modestofamous.com/node/1469

Just looked at that rewfly. If what is said is true, then these images are possibly of medically useable quality. I really do worry about where "database world" is heading...

What are the geniune risks to health of being frequently scanned this way I wonder?

airship
13th Jun 2008, 21:27
If there's an airport nearby that installs this new equipment, I'd like to first to volunteer to be an operator for a couple of hours once a week without pay...?!

That way I wouldn't have to overuse Google...

PS. I think (or at least hope) that I'd be able to respond "Proceed (and thank you ma'am)" in at least 1 out of 50 scans... :(

gingernut
13th Jun 2008, 21:36
Reminds me of the time I tried to smuggle some wrist watches through customs- I was ok until some one said, "have you got the time on ya' cock?"

niknak
13th Jun 2008, 22:14
I can imagine that, at a busy place like Heathrow or Gatwick, the novelty value would wear thin pretty quickly.
Picture yourself spending an 8 hour shift being forced to watch the intimate working parts of the Blobby & Chav families jetting off to the sun?

No thank you:yuk:

airship
13th Jun 2008, 22:21
Might beat watching reruns of Dad's Army...8 hours of either would be a bit much though?! ;)

Newforest2
14th Jun 2008, 09:03
And what if you were wearing (?) a pacemaker?

tony draper
14th Jun 2008, 09:08
On yer nob!!???:uhoh:

LordGrumpy
14th Jun 2008, 10:30
Down and adjacient to that noble part. Is the normal hanging place for a Colt Peacemaker.

priapism
14th Jun 2008, 11:57
Richard Taylor ,

When you say they'll need a bigger booth for you , do you mean taller or wider???

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
14th Jun 2008, 21:32
Reminds me of the time I tried to smuggle some thigh watches through customs- I was ok until some one said, "have you got the time on ya' cock?"

Peter Fanelli
14th Jun 2008, 22:07
I wonder how a stick of salami would look suitably positioned of course :E

Buster Hyman
14th Jun 2008, 22:24
At 51 Peter, I should think a Party Frank would be more appropriate...;)

tony draper
14th Jun 2008, 23:25
I believe there was POW in a German camp during the war who carved himself a hollow wooden penis,obtained a urine sample from another prisoner who was suffering from a serious kidney disease filled said wooden nob with same and delivered it into a sample jar via his creation in front of a group of Geman Doctors during his medical,being a bit of a wag he could not resist carving this falsie a bit larger than life,eyebrows were raised in the medial room and the doctors were heard to mutter among themselves.
"Himmel!! zee var vee haf lost" :rolleyes:

The POW was repatriated to Blighty on medical ground

alwayzinit
15th Jun 2008, 14:34
I don't know why the TSA has spent so much on a special gadget.

There used to be adverts for X-Ray specs in all the best comics for less than 10 shillings!:E

G-CPTN
15th Jun 2008, 15:47
One wonders how long it will be before they declare these Xray devices unsafe (remember the machine in shoe-shops with all youngsters spending ages viewing the bones of their feet?).

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm

Amazing that there wasn't a generation of folk with withered feet . . .