PDA

View Full Version : Virus, Bud Frogs pt. 2

ExSimGuy
9th Jan 2001, 10:32
Tried to bring up this page, but got :
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">HTTP/1.0
Error 404
Object Not Found
The requested page does not exist on this server.
Please check the spelling of the URL.
</font>
I have noticed this on a few other pages around the system - [i]or has the Bud Frog got into Danny's Server[/1] ;)

(edited to get the UBB code right!)

What goes around . . .
. . . often makes a better landing!

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 09 January 2001).]

ExSimGuy
9th Jan 2001, 10:48
Looks like it's a "known problem" as IceAir's post below regarding "calendar" has the same problem, after the first attempt was locked.

I expect Towers will advise . . .

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing

Mycroft
9th Jan 2001, 17:11
My conjecture (based purely on the number of replies to these phantom threads) is that the originator of the thread has had second thoughts (they are also often multiple posts) and have deleted the text; unfortunately the thread topic is saved elsewhrre and reamins visible

PPRuNe Pop
10th Jan 2001, 00:57
Spot on Mycroft! That is usually the answer.

Dunno why people will not let their posts get on the page before hitting the submit button again, sometimes three times, I have even seen four. THAT usually will result in the thread going "404".

Blacksheep
11th Jan 2001, 09:22
Hi Pop,

It might be a system characteristic on their PC. My old machine would multiple-post if I used the "Back" button after posting. Why do that you say? Because my old PC would often freeze when posting and it is too tempting to use the back button to get back to where you were before the freeze.

Through difficulties to the cinema

miss approach
11th Jan 2001, 17:45
Not sure if this is the same issue - but we received this at work yesterday :

Read immediately and pass on to everyone you know:
Someone is sending out a very cute screensaver of the Budweiser Frogs. If you download it, you will lose everything! Your hard drive will crash and someone from the Internet will get your screen name and password! DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! It just went into circulation yesterday. Please distribute this message. This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people know about it. This information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft. Please share it with everyone that might access the Internet. Once again, Pass This Along To EVERYONE in your address book so that this may be stopped. AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO remedy for it at this time. This is VERY important. If you receive a screen saver from a friend or anyone you may not know with the Budweiser Frogs in it, DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT OR OPEN
THE FILE! Press the forward button on your email program and send this notice to EVERYONE you know. Let's keep our email safe for everyone. This is a service to all of our affiliates to help them keep their email and computer files safe.

Mycroft
12th Jan 2001, 16:20
Miss Approach - definitely a hoax (it may even have started in an IT department of a company to stop people downloading massive files); but in general see the thread http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum35/HTML/000665.html any genuine message from an antivirus company will give a link for more info (it was also not tell you to pass the message on, and will usually have required you to register to receive warnings)

[This message has been edited by Mycroft (edited 12 January 2001).]

miss approach
12th Jan 2001, 17:03
Good thing that I had deleted it then !!

Not sure about everyonelse at work though - I suspect that it has already whistled round the company.

ExSimGuy
13th Jan 2001, 09:49
Didn't know the "Bud Frogs Screensaver virus" was one of these hoaxes - but there sure are a lot of them around.

I'm frequently getting such hoaxes through ICQ (and also via email) and all these "pass to everyone you know" messages are just bandwidth-eaters (there's a link on the ICQ home page "hoaxes and damned lies" or something similar which gives a good laugh at some of the things people will believe!)

I recently got a "pass to everyone and you will receive a free Ericcson WAP phone", which I'm sure a lot of idiots will fall for ;)

As Slasher would tell you, the only way is to practice safe se.... er.. computing :)

Beware of all downloads and attachments unless you are sure where they came from and, if it's an email attachment, be sure whover sent it to you meant to send it http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Run ZoneAlarm and McAfee Anti-Virus (frequently updayed) - if you do all that, you should be fairly safe!

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing

RFCC
14th Jan 2001, 03:46
For those who aren't aware of it, the following link will give current information on virus hoaxes.
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html