PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Movie Scene

Salusa
12th Jun 2008, 14:34
I just watched The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and the end scene is magnificent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ

What other movie moments would you nominate?

Binoculars
12th Jun 2008, 14:42
Is the end scene where they all shoot at each other in a triangle? If it is, I don't think any of my favourite scenes would interest you. :hmm:

Salusa
12th Jun 2008, 14:59
Is the end scene where they all shoot at each other in a triangle

That’s the one.

Not the fact they shoot each other, but just the music and cinematography.

How many ‘modern’ films are there that can convey a sense of 'violence' without the old blood and splatter?

Also just remembered the end scene in Drugstore Cowboy, another classic.

Oooh and also the sword scene in Sanjuro!:ok:

Its all coming back now.

Go on Bins, what’s your fave scene then?;)

Sikpupi
12th Jun 2008, 16:54
The Banjo scene in Deliverance is a personal favourite!

Also like Michael J Fox playing Chuck Berry in 'BAck to the Future' and the look on the kids faces....

and finally.....I never miss the final fight scene in 'Last of the Mohicans' when the father fights Magwah for killing his son...what a cool weapon!

and......I could go on and on!!!

Parapunter
12th Jun 2008, 16:58
So many...

One that sticks is the opening scene in - and I may have this wrong - on the waterfront, the shot that tracks without cutting for five minutes or so.

I also remember the powerful shot in Jaws where Roy Scheider's realisation is conveyed by the zoom where his face approaches the camera & yet the background disappears - apparently it took three people operating the camera about four hours to get that one five second shot.

Salusa
12th Jun 2008, 17:01
and finally.....I never miss the final fight scene in 'Last of the Mohicans' when the father fights Magwah for killing his son...what a cool weapon!

I forgot about that one. In my top five for sure.:ok:

Standard Noise
12th Jun 2008, 17:11
'He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!'

'I have a fwend in Wome'

and pretty much the rest of the film.

Oh and the scene where Mr Blonde cuts off the cop's ear in Reservoir Dogs.

Salusa
12th Jun 2008, 17:15
Welease Woger!

tony draper
12th Jun 2008, 17:19
The Third Man, the light from a window reveals Harry Lime in the doorway and that zither music cuts in,magic.
As for one's first love, Westerns, the gunfight at the end of The Wild Bunch has never been beat.
:ok:

Parapunter
12th Jun 2008, 17:25
Watched a doc on the third man recently. Orson Welles refused to run around the sewers of London (where those scenes were partly shot) so at huge expense, a set was built to finish the movie.

The famous scene where you see the shadow on the wall as Harry lime runs away was done by Orson welles running on the spot more or less - a bit like when you see someone pretending to descend stairs as they walk behind a sofa. it was the angles you see.:rolleyes:

Great theme music mind.

Flash2001
12th Jun 2008, 18:10
The first fight scene from "Bad Day at Black Rock".

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

haughtney1
12th Jun 2008, 18:26
Reserviour Dogs

The "stuck in the middle with you" scene where the guy cuts the cops ear off......Stunning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=komvFIGYBYM)
Brilliantly dark, disturbing and yet, entertaining....:ooh:

dany4kin
12th Jun 2008, 19:10
The final dialogue in Dr. Strangelove, Peter Sellars at his greatest.

"Mein Furher I can walk!"

Air America with the PC6 Turbo Porter landing on the side of a mountain.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MlSx4O0rlDs&feature=related

Snatch, where 3 guys threaten Vinnie Jones with guns. Classic! (language warning!)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lTi6GGywBAM

oldshuck
12th Jun 2008, 20:04
Got to be Bladerunner. "I have seen things"

and that from a replicant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_xesrL8

C130 Techie
12th Jun 2008, 20:05
The Gunnery Sergeants introduction to his recruits in Full Metal Jacket

The 'You can't handle the truth' courtroom scene between Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men

Gene Hackman vs Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide.

Parapunter
12th Jun 2008, 20:16
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that Dave"

You'd be feeling a bit stuffed at that point I imagine.:eek:

Or "No one touches Mrs Lopsided" That one will always have a place at the table.

gingernut
12th Jun 2008, 20:34
Confrontation of the Bullies in Dead Mans Shoes.

The spanking scene in The Secretary.

Steve Martins realisation that John Candy hasn't really got a wife in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Richard Gere showin emotion on finding his dead friend in Officer and a Gentleman.

One of life's greatest pleasures is movie waching. I'm not always in the right frame of mind after a days work, and weekends are usually a bit packed, so I tend to "save up" my movies on the hard drive, put'em on dvd, and waste away hours and hours in me caravan, after a days surfing, a good barby and a rook of ale.

Trouble is, kids and Mrs G tend to find some films unsuitable, so I've started taping some of the old ones- you know the sort of stuff, Scott of the Antartic, Appiontment in London, Reach for the Skies etc.

Funny thing is, kids find 'em fascinating.

ad astra
12th Jun 2008, 21:54
What about the opening scene of the original 'Italian job'; the guy is driving through the mountains in a Lamborghini with Matt Munroe singing 'On days like these' in the background. Just magic.

handysnaks
12th Jun 2008, 21:55
I think the scene from witness where the young Amish lad recognises the killer on the photograph in the cabinet at Harrison Fords Police Station is pretty good.

airfoilmod
12th Jun 2008, 22:01
Climbing the stairs into the saucer in "Forbidden Planet".

(Well, to an eight year old...)

ad astra: "Italian Job" an excellent and very underrated movie

tony draper
12th Jun 2008, 22:06
Yer that frightened the poo out of me as well Mr airfoilmod.:uhoh:

priapism
12th Jun 2008, 23:27
The fight scene in " Anchorman"

tinpis
12th Jun 2008, 23:33
The worst ending?

No Country For Old Men gotta be up there somewhere?

Hagbard the Amateur
12th Jun 2008, 23:49
"Biggus Dickus" scene from Life of Brian - childish but very effective.

End confrontation scene between Hoffman and Olivier in Marathon Man - "Essen!! Essen!!"

Geezers of Nazareth
12th Jun 2008, 23:51
I like the suggestion of 'The Italian Job, which makes me want to suggest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlWG_boFr4

kluge
13th Jun 2008, 01:36
1. Opening sequence of Walt Disney Bruce Willis movie "The Kid" - red Strearman aerobatics - that's what its all about folks. If you don't like that then take up stamp collecting.

2. Red Stearman aerobatics with the puking kid in "Space Cowboys" - been there (had a punter puke doing aeros - not nice).

3. Closing shots of the moon crash in Space Cowboys playing "Fly me to the Moon" song.

4. Master and Commander - the crew hanging to windward chasing down the French ship in rough seas.

5. The "lesser of two weavels" and the toast sequences in Master and Commander (and the music for the entire movie). In fact all of that movie.

6. Alan Shephard (played by Scott Glenn) carrier landing in an A4 and taking the pi$$ out of the air force pilots in the astronaut selection sequence, the enema bag sequence - The Right Stuff.....most of that movie is good.

7. Dr Strangelove "Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room" and the rest of the movie. Awesome.

8. 2001 - ape discovers how to use a weapon, throws it in the air and then movie transitions in time to 2001 - that concept blows my mind.

9. End shots of "The Kid" when he meets his older self and discovers he becomes a pilot - I defy any aviator not to get misty eyed at that point.

10.End shots of 2010 "All these worlds are yours except Europa...." blows my mind. Helen Mirren big turn on also.

Dushan
13th Jun 2008, 02:14
Colonel Nathan Jessep in "you cant handle the truth" scene from "A Few Good Men"

JESSEP
You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has walls.
And those walls have to be guarded by men
with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You,
Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater
responsibility than you can possibly
fathom. You weep for Santiago and you
curse the marines. You have that luxury.
You have the luxury of not knowing what I
know: That Santiago's death, while tragic,
probably saved lives. And my existence,
while grotesque and incomprehensible to
you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth. Because deep
down, in places you don't talk about at
parties, you want me on that wall.
You need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code,
loyalty...we use these words as the
backbone to a life spent defending
something. You use 'em as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the
inclination to explain myself to a man who
rises and sleeps under the blanket of the
very freedom I provide, then questions the
manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer
you just said thank you and went on your
way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a
weapon and stand a post. Either way, I
don't give a damn what you think you're
entitled to.

airfoilmod
13th Jun 2008, 02:22
And gives me gooseflesh each time I hear it. I am honored to know more than a few good men. Equilibrium is defined by the extremes on either side of it, and barricaded by same.

Richo77
13th Jun 2008, 03:12
Given we already have the Few Good Men monologue then you have to have this one from Any Given Sunday... awesome Pacino!

I don’t know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. All comes down to today, and either, we heal as a team, or we're gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play. Until we're finished. We're in hell right now, gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time. Now I can't do it for ya, I'm too old. I look around, I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I've made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I've pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who's ever loved me. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know, when you get old, in life, things get taken from you. I mean, that's... that's... that's a part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losin' stuff. You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the ******* difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying! I'll tell you this, in any fight it's the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I'm gonna have any life anymore it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that's what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can't make you do it. You've got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think ya going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That's a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That's football guys, that's all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?

PLovett
13th Jun 2008, 03:51
Mr d,

You like the closing gunfight in "The Wild Bunch", yep its great but not as great as the opening sequence with the titles being overplayed. Every scene in that ride into the town with the children playing and then you get to see what they are playing with. Awesome stuff and chilling.:ok:

tinpis,

If you haven't read the novel "Old Country For Old Men" you will never understand the film or its ending because the film adaptation is so close to the novel.:=

There are just so many good films out there that it is really hard to pick out the best scenes but there are so many gawdawful ones as well, especially now when all Hollywood seems to do is make remakes.:yuk:

hoss58
13th Jun 2008, 03:59
Baked bean scene from Blazing saddles.

Also the scene where the sheriff puts a gun to his own head and pretends its someone else.

Hoss58

Atlas Shrugged
13th Jun 2008, 04:24
hoss58,

Ya beat me to it!

Richo77
13th Jun 2008, 05:08
I would have put you down for the enormous PANTIES scene in Bridget Jones Atlas!

Charlie Foxtrot India
13th Jun 2008, 05:18
How about the puppet sex scene in Team America?

"I promise I will never die!"

kluge
13th Jun 2008, 05:27
The opening scene of Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.....HD walks out of the room having finished with the girl, fires up his bike and blasts off in to the night - all to the music of Bon Jovi

Here it is. Crank up the volume and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtxeYsnaZ0

BernerOH
13th Jun 2008, 05:57
The coffee shop scene in "Heat" where Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino discuss their lives.

CoodaShooda
13th Jun 2008, 06:18
Sadly dated now in the 'oooh wow' stakes but the start of the first Star Wars movie as the star cruiser comes in over the top of the cinema was pretty impressive at the time. :eek:

The intro into Carry On Cowboy with the stranger in black riding his white horse into town and taking out a group of local cowpokes in a showdown has also stayed with me over the years. Cue close up of Sid James as he mutters the line "I wonder what they wanted".

"Nobody move or the nihger gets it" was the line from Blazing Saddles IIRC.

spittingimage
13th Jun 2008, 06:59
Pulp Fiction. When Uma Thurman volunteers herself and John Travolta for the twist competition. Travolta's face is a picture. Boy, did I identify with him just then ! That whole episode is very watchable.

Jurassic Park with the velociraptors in the kitchen. Full of alien menace. Brilliant.

ORAC
13th Jun 2008, 08:03
Air to Air combat scene in The Battle of Britain with just the music score in the background. The criss-crossing contrails intercut with flashes from the cockpits of obviously screaming and shouting men - unheard - balzing aircraft falling from the sky. And always with the music givng the impression of this high speed desperate fight going on - with the people below unhearing and unaware.

Brilliant.

GANNET FAN
13th Jun 2008, 08:35
A number of scenes but with one theme and that is the selecting of the gun fighters for the Magnificent Seven. Great stuff.

Actually so was the James Coburn scene, same movie, bringing down the escaping baddie with a very long pistol shot and angry with himself because he killed the man but only meant to wing him. Wish I could remember the line. Fabulous

tony draper
13th Jun 2008, 08:37
The Lawyer getting scoffed by the Tyranosaurus in Jurrasic Park of course.:E

Ace Rimmer
13th Jun 2008, 08:58
Jake and Elwood in the tunnel "it's 200 miles to Chicago..."etc etc - you know the rest ...actually come to think of it the whole damn film...

kluge
13th Jun 2008, 09:12
Monty Python The meaning of Life - "Find the Fish" sketch

MarlboroLite
13th Jun 2008, 11:18
The scene from "Dog Soldiers" where they realise something isn't quite right on the training exercise.

We are now up against live, hostile targets. So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the b*tch

Foss
13th Jun 2008, 11:25
Gannet
Off the top of my head, I think he said 'I was aiming for the horse' probably wrong.

The bank breakout in Heat. Brilliant.
GO! Brrp bbrp bbrppp
Brrp bbrp bbrppp GO!

Try and YouTube it, it asks if you are 18, on YouTube. Goodgrief.

pineridge
13th Jun 2008, 11:34
The final scenes of "Zulu" when the vast numbers of warriors finally retreat without delivering what would certainly have been the "coup de grace" and the old chief, alone, walks towards the fort, salutes the survivors, and walks away. Magic.

Effluent Man
13th Jun 2008, 11:52
ORAC nominates The Battle of Britain. Despite being almost 40 years old now the film has possibly the best reproduction air combat sequences ever filmed.I remember lieing on a Suffolk beach and seeing a formation of the aircraft fly over.The score includes Walton's Spitfire fugue.It's a film I can watch time and again,good historical research too.

jethro15
13th Jun 2008, 12:05
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

The scene where the Indian Chief pulls the water font away from its floor mountings and throws it out of the window.

First time I saw it at the cinema the whole audience stood up and cheered as one.

Foss
13th Jun 2008, 12:26
Bit more recent I'm afraid, Band of Brothers. Carentan.
They're walking towards this town and every window suddenly opens up with MG42s. People start dropping everywhere. There's the trademark BoB's zzzzzzp zzzzzzzp bing zzzzzp zzzzp zzzp of bullets flying past and these two guys find themselves alone.

First guy: 'Where's everyone else??!'
ZZZzzzzp zzzzzp zzp. ZZZzzz zzzp
Second guy leans out and fires his itty bitty M1. At a building.
POP pop popopopop
ZZZzzzzp zzzzzp zzp.
And shouts back: 'I HAVE NO IDEA'

Davaar
13th Jun 2008, 12:27
My entry does not so much belong to "favourite" scene in a movie as "informative" on the audience.

I saw "The Battle of Britain" in a theatre in Bermuda. A Spitfire is shot down and the pilot bales out. His parachute does not deploy right away and it becomes sickeningly clear that it will not deploy ever. The pilot dwindles into a tiny speck.

And the reaction of the Bermudian audience? Gales of mirth and wild applause.

The SSK
13th Jun 2008, 12:31
I'm with Flash2001 - Bad Day at Black Rock
One-armed Spencer Tracy beating the crap out of the local thug.

Esoteric - the Rock Man in Nilsson's The Point - "You been goofin' with the bees?"

skydriller
13th Jun 2008, 12:48
Funny thing is, kids find 'em fascinating.

I was watching reach for the sky the other day having recorded it from Film4 a while ago. SD Jr came in and saw the aeroplanes, so sat and watched too.

After about 5 minutes he says "Daddy....."
Me :"Yes, what is it?"
SD Jr: "why is it all grey on the TV..."
Me: "What do you mean its...."

....at which point I realised he was talking about the film being in Black and White. It never occoured to me before, but he had never seen/whatched anything on TV in Black and white before..

Regards, SD..

Flying Binghi
13th Jun 2008, 13:02
I'd have to say "An Inconvenient truth" is my movie of the moment. I especialy like the bit where Al Gore earns $100,000,000 from the adoring schmucks

.........educational it is :E

frostbite
13th Jun 2008, 13:05
is the one where Bambi's mother is killed.

It upset me as a kid, and would probably do so today.

tony draper
13th Jun 2008, 13:17
The sword fight at the end of Rob Roy,no swinging on chandeliers sliding down bannisters or leaping on tables like big daft girls blouses,just two chaps laying into each other no nonsense with cold steel.
:E

angels
13th Jun 2008, 13:47
Another vote for Rutger Hauer's speech at the end of Blade Runner. Without googling, I believe he made it up in the dressing room on the day of filming and just came out with it. Astonishing anyway.

Loads of Blazing Saddles, especially the beans scene.

Loads of the Third Man, as well as the first sight of Orson I really love the 'cuckoo clock' scene on the Big Wheel in the Prater.

The helicopter attack scene on a Victor Charlie village in Apocalypse Now!

Slim Pickens rodeoing the nuke at the end of Strangelove. Funny and terribly sad at the same time.

There's more, but that's enough for now!

airfoilmod
13th Jun 2008, 14:06
"Who are those guys??" "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.................. SH-T!!"

Men In Black: Edgar: "From my cold dead hands" Alien in Pit: "Your proposal is acceptable"

GANNET FAN
13th Jun 2008, 14:18
Foss, I remember now, you are bang on. He said it in reply to "that was the best shot I have ever seen" or close to that anyway.

GANNET FAN
13th Jun 2008, 14:23
"Think you used a little too much dynamite there Butch"

winglit
13th Jun 2008, 16:02
What about the audiophiles out there with posh sound systems?

I have a Bose surround system and my favourite scene to show it off is the Pod Race sequence in Star Wars the Phantom Menace. Fantastic sound effects.

Very ingenious I thought, to harness a pair of RB211s with lightning!

Binoculars
13th Jun 2008, 17:02
Guns. Bullets. Aeroplanes. Car chases. Has a woman bothered posting in this thread?

1. The eponymous scene in Sophie's Choice.

2. The scene in Midnight Cowboy where the crippled Dustin Hoffman waits in a New York darkness for Jon Voight to come back with the hopeful proceeds of a gigolo, and imagines himself running freely down a Miami beach with bikini clad ladies around him.

3. Jon Voight in the same movie realising that Ratso is dead in the bus.

4. The final scene in Field of Dreams, with the headlights backing up for miles.

5. The truck with a load of nitroglycerine that has to reverse on to a narrow and rickety wooden ramp in Wages of Fear, possibly the finest suspense movie ever made.

Lots more.

airfoilmod
13th Jun 2008, 23:26
"Rules? In a knife Fight?"

Winglit, Best ever sound production, the Pod Race, agreed

v6g
13th Jun 2008, 23:44
Scariest moment in a kids film ....

Charlie and the Chocolate factory (the old version) - not me but my cousin was totally creeped out by the first scene with the Oompa-Loompa's singing and dancing. Don't know why it was exactly but those little purple men had him hiding behind the seat when he saw it in the cinema.

AA SLF
14th Jun 2008, 00:41
The movie is "Dr. NO", the scene is URSALA ANDRESS walking up the beach from the water towards the camera.

Also - the movie is "10" , the scene is BO DEREK running across the beach towards the camera, filmed in "slow motion".

Either one of those scenes can give a young man a metal boner ` ` ` :p

chiglet
14th Jun 2008, 13:37
BoB, [again] where "Chiefy" is just about to set the Hurricanes alight, and the lead Bf109 tries to fly under a 4ft fence:D
Star Wars, when Obi Wan "allows" Darth Vader to kill him.
Hobsons' Choice, Charles Laughton "ascending" the stairs.
Binos, agree with FoD end scene.
The Quiet Man, where Jon Wayne and Victor Mcglaughlin[sp] shake hands in the pub.
The Untouchables, when Sean Connery says "Just like an Italian, brings a knife to a gunfight"...then it gets sad...:{
Dam Busters, when Richard Todd, when asked if he is going to bed says that he has some letters to write, walks away from the Mess, and returns an airmans, salute....while the inimitable Eric Coates music swells in volume.......:{
watp,iltch

El Grifo
14th Jun 2008, 15:22
Was wondering when someone was going to mention my favourite film of all time, the not war film "apocalypse now"

Apart from the obvious Robert Duvall " smells like - - - - - - - victory" line, the finest moment had to be when Sheen lands at the bridge upriver, looking for the commander and ends up in a trench with a big, spaced out, motherfeking bro, who is launching grenades by sheer stoned intuition thereby silencing the unseen, jeering enemy one by one.

Excellent :ok:

farsouth
14th Jun 2008, 15:29
Winglit -
For sound production, the opening sequence of deck take-offs in Top Gun is fantastic - turn it up loud

Foss
14th Jun 2008, 18:00
This must be a bloke thing.
You can watch D-Day, The Longest Day, Battle of Britain over and over again. Even with Private Ryan you're pretty sure that even Tom Hanks may actually survive Normandy. I think it's called suspension of disbelief.
But how many people have watched Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe twice.

yip. no one.

Beatriz Fontana
14th Jun 2008, 18:07
Guns. Bullets. Aeroplanes. Car chases. Has a woman bothered posting in this thread?

Well, go on then, since you asked... although the above sounds like a perfect lazy Sunday afternoon in front of the telly in the Fontana house to me!

Has to be the car chase from Ronin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1e7djNVipc). It set the standard for many others that followed!

Just realised that this is another film I scandalously seemed to have lost when I moved house :(

j-mac
14th Jun 2008, 20:26
got to be mad max when he walks into the underground garage and the mechanic has one of the last v8s :ok:

SOTV
14th Jun 2008, 20:48
The final scene of 'In Which We Serve'.

A tattered Noel Coward in an Egyptian dockside warehouse saying goodbye to all the survivors of the 'Torrin'. Rather moving in a cheap wartime utility way.

All the above quotes from Life of Brian.

Just one more Monty Python scene:

Holy Grail. The bridge of death......

What is the SP velocity of an unladen swallow?
European or African?
I don't know that.......Aaaaaaaarghhhhh!

:}

very old flyer
14th Jun 2008, 22:03
I forget the name of the movie, but it had Sharon Tate in a bikini, jumping on a trampoline. We had a projector that could run backwards, so we run it backwards - and forwards - and backwards - and forwards - and backwards - and etc...

She was beautiful, her death was a great tragedy.

PanPanYourself
15th Jun 2008, 02:04
The final scene in 'There Will Be Blood'

Daniel Day Lewis slobbering "drainage, Eli you boyyyy"
absolutely priceless :ok:

Rollingthunder
15th Jun 2008, 02:31
Opening sequence at the station. "You brought two too many" . That ran for about twenty minutes and then the titles began.

Jill's carriage ride through the desert to Sweetwater with Morricone's enigmatic music.

Harmonica shoots two bad guys off their horses with two shots. Cut to Jason Robarts looking on. "He can play....and he can shoot".

Close to the end - the showdown between Harmonica and Henry Fonda. Leone's trademark 3/4 face shots and the travelling camera.

A masterpiece.

obgraham
15th Jun 2008, 03:27
Barry Lyndon. The most beautiful film ever made.

Top scenes: the Battle, the duel, and the gorgeous candlelit scene with Marissa Berenson.

And while we are on Stanley Kubrick: The "assault" scene, and the "test of therapy" scene.

In fact, jst about anything Kubrick except Eyes Falling Closed.

PLovett
15th Jun 2008, 03:34
El Grifo

If you read Michael Herr's book, "Despatches" you will find where that scene from "Apocalypse Now" comes from. It was a real situation.:eek:

Incidentally, that film still makes my top 10, the original was good but the Redux version is brilliant.:ok:

Flying Binghi
15th Jun 2008, 04:00
Schindlers List

The Who stole the chicken scene made me laugh (tension release?) The only time I laughed in the entire sad movie

Binoculars
15th Jun 2008, 04:16
But how many people have watched Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe twice.

I have. :uhoh:

Metro man
15th Jun 2008, 05:42
The scene at the end of "An Officer and a Gentleman" where Richard Gere walks in to the factory in uniform and picks up his girlfriend. :ok:

tony draper
15th Jun 2008, 05:51
The Mr Creosote scene in the restaurant in Pythons Meaning of Life.:E

Little Blue
15th Jun 2008, 06:32
Any number of scenes from The Shining.

Jack Nicholson kissing the naked girl in the bathroom, then seeing the reflection of her rotting aged body in the mirror......

Shelley Duvall reading just what Jack has been working on
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy !" over and over again and realising that he's finally lost his mind.

Danny riding his little bike around the corridors, turning every corner until finally coming face to face with the two dead twins.

But of course, the most famous
"Here's Johnny.........." gets my vote.

dc9-32
15th Jun 2008, 07:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8goWjZGdo :ok:

ZFT
15th Jun 2008, 08:59
The ending of Usual Suspects.

chksix
15th Jun 2008, 10:55
40 days and 40 nights
The scene where the main guy (under celibacy vow) is seeing all women almost naked everywhere on the streets, busses, office etc....

Just a normal day for me ;)

Flying Binghi
15th Jun 2008, 11:45
...another scene that had a major impact on me, from Hotel Rwanda.

I had been watching this movie for a little bit, slightly bored, my brain having been desensitised by watching years of mindless violent hollywood crap... then this scene...

Red cross worker telling of a murder she had witnessed recounts what the young Tutsi orhan girl said before she was killed....

"Please dont let them kill me, I promise not to be Tutsi any more"....

frostbite
15th Jun 2008, 13:02
Britt Ekland doing that naked dance in The Wicker Man!

Parapunter
15th Jun 2008, 13:20
I like Cohen Brother movies a great deal The Big Lebowski is one of my favourites:

You pull any of your sh*t out on the lanes, like getting your piece out, I take it off you, shove it up your ass & pull the trigger 'til she go click!

-Jesus!

-You said it bro, no one f***s with the Jesus!

wiggy
15th Jun 2008, 14:21
I'm with ZFT in nominating the award of "best film scene ever" to
the scene at the end of "The Usual Suspects", which begins with Agent Kujan alone in the office staring at the notice board......still gives me goosebumps everytime I see it...

The airfield attack scene in "Empire of the Sun".

The moments just after the ramp drops in "Saving Private Ryan".....

As for "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe", didn't do much for me but since Mary-Lousie Parker is in it it's not all bad :E and allows me slide over to TV and "The West Wing", in particular the funeral Scene in "In Excelsis Deo", and finally the press conference scene in the "Two Cathedrals" - best bit of TV ever in my very HO, best played very loud on a good system to get the full benefit the soundtrack :ok:

VH-MLE
15th Jun 2008, 14:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKg27i5Y3T4

ALPHA ECHO
15th Jun 2008, 18:46
Elephant Man - John Merrick reciting the 23rd Psalm and Anthony Hopkins realising that he hadn't taught him that part thus discovering undiscovered intelligence.

Silence of the Lambs - Lecter's escape

Remains of the Day - the Butler (Anthony Hopkins) in his quarters with Ms Kenton and rejecting her

I Know , I Know i'm a Hopkins freak, I admit it !

Gallipoli - Mel Gibson arriving a second too late at the end.....

Jaws - the "we're gonna need a bigger boat" scene OR
the "show me the way to go home" scene OR
When old Ben Gardener's head pops out of the hole in his boat

Blazing Saddles - Telegram for Mungo !

The Sleeper - Woody Alan with the Orb

Picnic at Hanging Rock - The moment Michael opens his hand to reveal a piece of cloth, signifying he had found one of the girls (The Music at that moment is for me, one of the best pieces of cinema music ever written)

and many,many more......

Overdrive
16th Jun 2008, 00:51
The first "Alien" film.... Sigourney Weaver stepping into that hung spacesuit when she realizes the alien is onboard the escape craft... that's not too painful to watch :p

Jack Nicholson & Jessica Lange on the kitchen table in The Postman Always Rings Twice.... :ooh:

brickhistory
16th Jun 2008, 01:10
to go along with el grifo (this is a first!), also from 'Apocolypse Now,' is the laconic "Never get out of the boat...goddamn right...."

and

"Charlie don't surf..."

Many of the lines from Dr. Strangelove (as a SAC veteran, it was required viewing), "You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company for that."

"Get through? Why Mr. President, my boys are gonna go in so low, they'll be roastin' chickens!"

"Alright, Dmitri, I'm upset and you're upset."

"Mineshaft gap!"

And, one of the greatest: Slim Pickens inventorying of the survival kit:

"Fifty dollars in Russian rew-bles, fifty dollars in gold, two prophylactics, one pair nylons, shoot, fella could have hisself a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all this..."

Strelnikov
16th Jun 2008, 08:40
The beerhouse scene in Cabaret.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMVql9RLP34&feature=related

The facial expressions are perfectly constructed in sequence of increasing tempo.

We can all read the mind of the old feller who is uncomfortable.

beamer
16th Jun 2008, 10:08
Dambusters (yeah, I know - bloody aeroplanes)

Guy Gibson to the crews lounging on the grass before the raid

'OK chaps, my watch says time to go'....

------------------------------------------------------------

Strelnikov
17th Jun 2008, 16:36
The scene in Mulholland Drive where Rebekah del Rio sings Llorando.

It rook me three watchings until penny dropped and I worked out what this meant.

Very clever. That Lynch feller is light years ahead of we mortals.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jLhbf-K10IM&feature=related

Hobo
18th Jun 2008, 07:02
Second only to Spinal Tap as the funniest film ever,

The scene in 'Kenny' where he's trying to unblock one of his portable toilets and says There's another classic example of someone having a two inch ars*h*le and us having installed only one inch piping.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822389/