PDA

View Full Version : Who Hit What?

PLovett
12th Jun 2008, 08:45
Heard today, very third hand, of an aircraft attempting to get into Alice Springs late Saturday night that hit the shrubbery on the top of the Macdonnell Range.:eek: I believe the aircraft is still parked on the GA ramp at Alice Springs.

Now Saturday in the GAFA was one of those rare days of rain in the desert, low cloud, cold and drizzle. Doesn't happen all that often but when it does it makes all the locals go blue. A number of charter flights to Finke in association with the Desert Race had to be cancelled due to the cloud. Not a day for VFR flying at all.:=

Does anyone know the real story? The suppositions flying about at the moment don't bear thinking about because if true then the pilot seriously lacks some decision making skills.:uhoh:

Maggott17
12th Jun 2008, 10:09
The instrument approaches at Alice haven't been checked for many years, despite what the regulations say.

Is CASA doing anything about it?

Zhaadum
12th Jun 2008, 11:17
So the MacDonnell ranges are growing??? :uhoh:

PLovett
12th Jun 2008, 11:24
I don't know that the aircraft was under IFR which makes it all the more extraordinary if what I have been told is true. Hence my query.:uhoh:

Maggott17
12th Jun 2008, 22:06
Trees grow and mobile phone towers go up everywhere without the authorities being told.

PLovett
13th Jun 2008, 02:30
That mighty tome of all the news thats fit to print, the Centralian Advocate, is reporting that the pilot is a 73 year old from Victoria, flying a Seneca that hit shrubbery on the top of the Ilparpa Range.:eek: The Ilparpa Range is lower than the MacDonnell Range but quite close to each other for those that don't know the area.

He is reported to have said that he could not see the airport lights although earlier he had been told that they were on.:uhoh: Mind you that is not surprising given the conditions that were prevailing that night.:ugh:

It looks as though someone seriously needs to review their flying standards.:rolleyes:

Socket
13th Jun 2008, 02:46
Ilparpa is 200 meters lower than MacDonnell. He must have come damn close to hitting MacDonnell seeing as they are only about 2km apart.:ooh::eek:

Desert Flower
13th Jun 2008, 03:06
That mighty tome of all the news thats fit to print, the Centralian Advocate, is reporting that the pilot is a 73 year old from Victoria, flying a Seneca

I am tipping that I know both the aircraft & the pilot. If I am right, this comes as no surprise to me. Describing him as a menace is putting it politely! He pranged a Seneca many years ago at Oodnadatta, & he is very fond of just rocking up at an aerodrome without giving any radio calls on the CTAF so he can avoid paying landing fees. :mad:

DF.

Jabawocky
13th Jun 2008, 03:10
If its known, and able to be proved........Run the silly bugger in before he kills someone else besides himself.:=

Idiots are welcome to take themselves out of the gene pool any time they like, unfortunately his days of breeding have past, however he needs to be stopped before he wipes out others!

J

Desert Flower
13th Jun 2008, 03:42
My thoughts exactly Jaba, but how DO you get rid of idiots like that? He is the type of person who has so little regard for rules & regs that I wouldn't put it past him to fly without a license!

DF.

P.S. If anyone finds out the rego of the aircraft please PM me!

Jabawocky
13th Jun 2008, 04:10
I think you & I had a PM discussion before about this guy...... Do us all a favour. If you don't and someone gets hurt you will not sleep as well at night.:uhoh:

And if he is grounded and flies again..... he will be thrown in the clink, and its hard to fly from there!

J

Desert Flower
13th Jun 2008, 04:37
I think you & I had a PM discussion before about this guy

Yes, we did. I have made noises about this peanut in the past, however nothing has been done.

DF.

Ovation
13th Jun 2008, 10:36
Here is the link from the Centralian Advocate. It seems like CASA are on the case.

http://www.centralianadvocate.com.au/article/2008/06/13/2984_news.html

tail wheel
13th Jun 2008, 11:34
THIS (http://www.centralianadvocate.com.au/article/2008/06/13/2984_news.html) link works.

Desert Flower
13th Jun 2008, 12:31
The aircraft is registered to a man in Yarrawonga in country Victoria.

So I was right. This is the second time (that I know of) that he has cheated death. And as to why he was flying around at that time of night? Well it all fits a pattern that I have observed over the past 18 years or so. And it was late at night when he pranged his other Seneca at Oodnadatta too. :mad:

DF.

Two_dogs
13th Jun 2008, 12:35
Last edited by PLovett : Yesterday at 08:47. Reason: Should check grammer first. Doh!Grammar and spelling should both be checked prior to posting.

I had better not ever make a similar mistake myself after that.

But seriously, how the :mad: can this happen?

I have been guilty of being in IMC whilst VFR, but never below LSALT in IMC whilst VFR!!!

Two Dogs

dogcharlietree
13th Jun 2008, 12:41
It seems this guy was luckier than these poor fellows;
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1995/AAIR/aair199501246.aspx
VH-AJS 27Apr95.
Having been to the accident site and viewed the scrapes on the rocks and also the wreckage just over the crest, it is a very sobering place.

one dollar short
13th Jun 2008, 13:30
same guy that hit the fuel bowser at alice late at night, not all that long ago.

guy needs to hang up the headset.

SIUYA
13th Jun 2008, 21:53
...a 73 year old from Victoria, flying a Seneca that hit shrubbery on the top of the Ilparpa Range.:ooh:

...it was late at night when he pranged his other Seneca at Oodnadatta too.:ooh::ooh:

...This is the second time (that I know of) that he has cheated death.:ooh::ooh::ooh:

...same guy that hit the fuel bowser at alice late at night, not all that long ago.:ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:

...guy needs to hang up the headset.:D

It might be better to hang him up by his headset to stop him doing any more really stupid things with aeroplanes.

Desert Flower
13th Jun 2008, 22:35
Hmmm, now there's the solution - strangulation by headset cord! :D

DF.

Desert Flower
15th Jun 2008, 05:16
Here u go... VH - WDP

Yep, clapped out old Sneaker one. White with sort of bronzy brown markings. Know it & the owner well unfortunately. :ugh: He used to paint the thing himself - by the look of it at one time I think he must have used a broom & bucket! If anyone has got photos of this I would love to see them.

DF.

PLovett
15th Jun 2008, 06:34
DF

Have a look at the link posted by tail wheel. There is a photo on it that can be enlarged.:ok:

The shrubbery hit the right wing inboard of the engine. According to the article it did a lot of damage.:uhoh:

Given the man's history it appears he leads a charmed life. You would have thought he would have learnt a lesson by know.:=

ZEEBEE
15th Jun 2008, 08:08
I think everyone's being a bit harsh on the poor guy..

All he did was suffer a bird strike:=

Too bad, the birds were roosting in the trees at the time!

Could happen to anyone really:ok :

Mr. Boeing
15th Jun 2008, 09:39
From memory, CASA took him to the cleaners about twelve or so years ago and he was fined something like $6,000 in court.

Desert Flower
15th Jun 2008, 11:05
Have a look at the link posted by tail wheel. There is a photo on it that can be enlarged.

Thanks for that. It appears that it has blue stripes on it now, didn't have those last time I saw it.

From memory, CASA took him to the cleaners about twelve or so years ago and he was fined something like $6,000 in court.

Hmmm, wonder what that was over? I hope they do more than just take him to the cleaners this time though!

DF.

one dollar short
15th Jun 2008, 14:56
damage.

leading edge left wing, inboard of engine, smashed in.
left prop, missing several inches off both tips, kinda looks like a Q tip.
right engine cowling smashed back to the cylinders, debri still lodged in places.
misc other bits of damage.

this guy didnt clip a tree he went through it, and considering the average height of flora on those ranges it would be interesting to see if terra firma took those prop tips off......

ive got some pics passing through there last week but im not sure of the legalities of posting them. can a mod clear that up ?

Jabawocky
15th Jun 2008, 22:04
no crime in posting educational material you collected in the wild!

J:ok:

bullamakanka
16th Jun 2008, 09:34
As per dogcharlies post, this incident is not the first time that the Iellparpa range has got in the way so to speak.

It is a sad spot to visit. There is a lot of wreckage and bit and pieces up there still.

Seeing a site like that is a great reminder how careful we all must be.

PLovett, when are you getting out of the bloody territory? Have you done those subjects yet?

Bulla

jackson's_joyflights
16th Jun 2008, 16:15
As a past resident of yarrawonga with a family involved in the very small aviation industry I to have heard about, and know of the foolery that this guy gets up to.

Would you believe it, the guy is a pharmacist!!!! I think he is brewing his own juice!

I once saw the aircraft in question over run the runway in yarrawonga taxiing from a perpindicular taxiway on a charter to alice with said pilot at the controls. the passenger proceeded to then assist in pushing the aircaft onto the runway where it was restarted and took off.

Bulk strip required if you ask me! And a suspension of license to say the least!!!!!!!!