PDA

View Full Version : CBT memory problem !

Flare armed
8th Jan 2001, 14:48
I have a UAL Boeing737-300/500 CBT CD-course that worked well under Win95. The program crashes under win98, winME and win2000, and the error message says : Not enough default memory(wich I suppose is the same as convensional memory). Does anybody know the program or can you help me to free memory???
In win95/DOS6.22 I used memmaker and QEMM to free memory.

The program is a nice alternative to the books and i don't want to reinsall win95.

My PC: Compaq 5686,128 MB, 450Mhz. Winfast 3D s320II ultra 32MB.

5milesbaby
8th Jan 2001, 16:33
I've had this problem with older games either on disc or floppy. I found instructions on the 'readme' file of one that works for all. Apparently you need MS-Dos for older games, but still need to temporarily change the memory settings. To do this from Win98, click MyComp (normally top left on Desktop), right click 'D' drive and access settings. Choose 'extras' then 'fixmem' and able this either by selecting yes or choosing a number. Restart the computer and then restart again in MS-Dos. Then cd.. and then whatever the directory was called on installing. After playing it must be undone by choosing MyComp, 'D' drive and extras as before, but then select 'undo' in the list and fully restart again. Its a very long process but worth it for great oldies. If there are still problems it could be that the wrong sound card has been detected. to change this for the game only, click 'Start' bottom left, 'run' and type 'C:\<filename>\install.exe<ENT>' and use the arrow keys to find sound and ammend. I couldn't find the right sound settings but one of the options allows most games to run, but with bad or no sound. Hope that helps, 5miles.

spannersatcx
8th Jan 2001, 23:45
If it is running in DOS mode, you can also change the MS DOS Window config by clicking start-programs-right click on ms dos prompt and select properties, one of the tabs allows you to change the amount of conventional memory allocated to the dos window. Don't forget the max amount of convention memory available is 640kb.

Flare armed
10th Jan 2001, 16:04
Thank you for both answers. The problem is just that Windows will not let you allocate more convensional memory in the properti section for the program EXE-file, than the 556k that is free when Windows is running.
I know that 640K is max, but I need about 600K and windows will only allow 556 or less.