PDA

View Full Version : First Spin - WOW

Jumbo744
11th Jun 2008, 21:22
Hello there!

today I've done my first spin. It was really impressive! I got a little bit sick which never happens to me (except when I did my first flight) and felt desoriented after my instructor recovered. I didn't like it too much but can't wait to go back and do it again to practice the recovery.

How did you feel on your first spins?

:ok:

spinnaker
11th Jun 2008, 22:11
How did you feel on your first spins?

'twas a long time ago, but if I remember correctly, it felt like real flying, which of course a spin most definitely isn't!!

You will find the recovery quite important, enjoy your next sessions

:ok::)

EIPCW
12th Jun 2008, 00:40
Is it actually required to do spin recovery in the JAA PPL syllabus? I completed my PPL over 2 years ago and never physically did a spin, was talked through the recovery obviously but just wondering if it's a requirement?

cheers

Slopey
12th Jun 2008, 00:57
No - it's not required (actually doing one vs learning recovery I mean).

I heard from a long time CFI that when it was, at that point around 40-50% of PPL students dropped out of the course - true?

My instructor took me up and did an hour of spins in a 152 Aerobat - great fun - entry into and recovery of the spin was fine, it was always the pull out which got me with the G loading - wierd sensation.

Rob.J
12th Jun 2008, 01:53
I remember my first spin :ok:

I was actually attempting my first steep turn with my instructor. As I initiated the turn I was a bit too forceful on the controls and I just turned it over with the nose dropping away under me.

My instructor quickly sorted it out and while i was at it actually let me do a few practice spin recoveries. Definitely one of the more memorable lessons i had.

WALSue
12th Jun 2008, 06:24
Stopped at stalls but wouldn't mind at doing a spin, saves me a trip to Alton Towers :)
At what part of the training did you do the spins? When you covered stalls?

geordiejet
12th Jun 2008, 06:53
I was absolutely terrified the first time! I had a great fear of entering a spin during stalls on my PPL.

But during my FIC, I did around 20, and now they are quite enjoyable, in a sick twisted kinda way. But I would be apprehensive about putting a student in a spin - as a lot do get scared off apparently, especially if it done near the start of the course.

They were no where near as bad at I had expected.

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Jun 2008, 06:56
The coompulsory spin training was dropped from the syllabus in the 90's. The logic was impecable but there was a lot of heated debate at the time. The argument was that there were around 8 spinning related deaths per annum in the UK. Of which around 6 happened as a result of spin training. By dropping the training requirement (and inserting incipient recovery technique training) you might see the non-training spin deaths rise from 2 to 4 but you'd see the traning related spin deaths of 6. A net reduction in lives lost.

I support the move as most of the non-training spin deaths were from either totally disorientated pilots in cloud or mishandling close to the ground and stalling - often whilst circling their house waving or taking pictures. From which spin recovery was impossible anyway due to lack of height.

Canada Goose
12th Jun 2008, 07:40
Back in the 90's in Canada it was a PPL requirement and flight test component. Following training and demonstration of competency we would be encouraged to go off solo and practise them. Scary, but good for confidence building. However, just before I took my Canadian PPL it was dropped as a flight test item. That said, it still remained as a flight test item for the Canadian CPL and so I was eventually examined in spinning. I do enjoy spinning, but most a/c I fly these days are not certified for spinning !

hollywood285
12th Jun 2008, 07:43
I did spin training after my PPL, on my IMC course!! great fun, but the disoriantation after it was unbeliverable!! i was in my local area after a few spins I could see all the local land features but did not know were the hell i was!! it took a good minuite to suss out which direction i was!!!

And i did feel abit green round the gills!

flyboy55
12th Jun 2008, 08:04
ill be starting my ''spins and stalls'' in the next few weeks.

a bit off topic here, but recently an old nice chap gave me practically the whole theory for PPL......they're from the 1960's tho. Will they still be helpful ??

Mickey Kaye
12th Jun 2008, 12:06
I've only spun two aircraft 152 and a Tomahawk. There was no comparison the tomahawk was ohh so much better. Although the first time nearly gave me a heart attack.

will fly for food 06
16th Jun 2008, 11:49
You should find an aircraft that can do inverted spins. They are great fun!

corsair
16th Jun 2008, 16:09
The Cessna 150 will do an inverted spin, if you know how to mishandle it right.....

Spins have always been seen as a 'big scary moment'. I don't particularly remember my first spin. But then that was probably ignorance on my part. I tended to regard it as just another manouevre albeit interesting. It hadn't been built up in my mind as a big deal. But then I like aerobatics, not all pilots do.

Since then I had a quite a few spins. They are dangerous if you start the spin too low. That killed someone I know not too long ago. I think it's a good idea that they were taken out of the syllabus for the reasons described. But I also think that an Instructor should demonstrate one if the student is willing. If only to emphasise what will happen if the really do mishandle the aircraft.