PDA

View Full Version : PC "freeze" whilst using vertical scroll down arrow

Tartan Giant
7th Jan 2001, 04:17
Hello chaps,

Please could somebody help me solve a problem I get, simply caused by the action of using the page-down vertical scroll bar arrow (whilst on-line) to view items further down a page - the PC will "freeze" every so often. It does not happen every time, but more and more these days !

It usualy happens whilst scrolling down a page whilst "PPruNing" and after the pages have apparently fully loaded.
I do use "NAVISCOPE" which pre-fetches, but of late this mouse/scroll-down (lower arrow) action results in a "freeze" and the only way out is a reset.

OS Windows 98Me / AMD Thunderbird 900 / 128 SDRAM.
Running in the background....Naviscope and Zonelabs.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Cat1234
7th Jan 2001, 05:06
You did say any assistance didn't you? I have the same problem sometimes, when it happens I use the page up/page down keys one or twice then go back to using the scroll keys. My theory is the commands go into a ring register which clocks around with each command and if after a predetermined amount of commands the command is the same as the first command in the register (which has been clocked back to the start) the computer thinks it has a stuck key and disables.
Just a theory though...

Tartan Giant
7th Jan 2001, 15:17
Cat1234

Thanks for that mate !

Just to clarify though....you are able to use the page up/page down keys at the first instant the PC freezes ?
i.e. the mouse/scroll routine has frozen the PC but using your page up/page down 'work around' you unfreeeze the thing ?

I shall keep your idea in mind the next time it happens. It has also given me the idea of using the wheel on my mouse as a possible 'work-around' too.

Cheers,
TG

Grandad Flyer
7th Jan 2001, 21:36
I've had the same problem, the frequency varies hugely. I usually find that when its bad I can get rid of it by doing the "Maintenance" cycle.
When it happens the entire keyboard freezes up, which I guess means, as someone mentioned, that the computer disables because it thinks there is a stuck key.
I don't think I tried using up/ down arrows first though.
The only way I have been able to "unfreeze" when it happens is to turn the computer off and on again.
Pressing control-alt-delete has no effect.

Tartan Giant
8th Jan 2001, 16:28
Grandad Flyer,

Your PC snag is exactly the same as mine then ! Ctl + Alt + Del does absolutely nothing. It's a reset that cures the stupid thing.

Thanks for the info though.

Cheers,
TG

BOAC
8th Jan 2001, 21:33
Me too TG. Reset the only option. I assumed it was a present from Bill Gates! Will try the page keys next time.

While I'm on, OE5 has started the odd ' General Protection Fault' in dibeng.dll. I've looked through the MS Knowledge base with no joy. Anyone know:-
a) what the dll does
b) why OE5 is clashing?
W98 Second Ed
Mike

solari
8th Jan 2001, 22:18
I've just started having the same problem.
Seems a coincidence so many at the same time.
Could it be a problem at the Prune server end?

400 Hertz
9th Jan 2001, 18:11
Make sure you are not getting in too deep. This seems a classic case of the 'dicky' video driver software.

Try selecting another resolution and do the same thing. Try different refresh rates etc.

Still the same snags? Perhaps not.

------------------
400 Hertz but DC is easy

stickyb
11th Jan 2001, 14:55
I've also had a freeze a couple of times whilst scrolling down pprune pages. Doesn't seem to happen any other time

PPRuNe Towers
13th Jan 2001, 12:41
Your problems noted here at the Towers. Similar problem on the PC side of things but as usual not present on the great leader's Mac.

As usual feedback appreciated. Could you have a glance at the address the page is trying to access information from (Netscape users) at the bottom of the page. My feeling is that the scroll bar is hanging while the server is trying to go offsite to Ozvalue.com for the ad graphics at the very bottom of the page.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 13 January 2001).]

TheShadow
13th Jan 2001, 20:42
After Scandisk the next cab off the fixit rank should be: (for win 98)

<START><RUN><sfc.exe> and run religiously and conscientiously through that process (first run-through is always lengthy). It sorts wrong versions and corrupt system files. It has resolved all my glitches time and again. You need to do a run-through after program installs or Win98 re-installs also.

then<START><RUN><msinfo32.exe> and go into
<TOOLS><Version Conflict Manager> and ensure that current versions are later ones.

Norton Windoctor is also a good idea. (part of Norton System Doctor)

Windows REGCLEAN will always find potential trouble also. Most windows hiccups are caused by Win system file versions being replaced by older ones in poorly constructed shareware and thence getting corrupted and thereafter being unable to cohabit peacefully.

Finally, a lock-up of the scroll-bars normally means that you've run down your system and GDI resources (and maybe have some locked up memory that's not been released) so a pseudo-reboot (which will leave you connected to the NET) may be in order. Open a Notepad Window and look at it's HELP drop-down and note the % resources available (or load resource.lnk into startup as follows):
copy the shortcut

\ WINDOWS \ Start Menu \ Programs \ Accessories \ _System Tools \ Resource Meter.lnk
over to
\ WINDOWS \ Start Menu \ Programs \ StartUp
and keep the free Windows Resource Meter running in your system tray. This is an easy way to watch those system resources when they start running low.

For the pseudo-reboot simply go CTRL-ALT-DEL and highlight the main WIN EXPLORER line and hit <END TASK>. The shut-down screen will come up. Hit CANCEL and wait 7 seconds (the "close explorer" panel will open). Hit <END TASK> and a new copy of Explorer will load. Now re-check your resources and they should be back up in the late 80's or early 90's. Locked up memory and resources are released and refreshed.

Tartan Giant
14th Jan 2001, 00:18
Thanks for the 'gen' Danny....will advise after I do the business that "TheShadow" has so expertly laid out here.

TheShadow
Where have you been all my life ? (Only kidding). If it works, I shall be indebted.

I'm going to go outside....and may be some time (sorry about the poor quote !).

Cheers,
TG

Tartan Giant
14th Jan 2001, 05:04
TheShadow

I come with cap in hand....bowed head...and bad news.....I cannot find the file, "sfc.exe" !!

I did the START / RUN / sfc.exe and nought happened Sir !! (apart from a pop-up window saying "Windows can't find sfc.exe.....").

Worse to come......I cannot locate "Version Conflict Manager" either.

I can get to the TOOLS bit, but there is nothing under the tab suggesting the file/programme V.C. Manager awaits my command/s.

I can report however that the Resource Meter is giving very low readings ! More dismay....
System 61%
User 61%
GDI 75%

These readings are when I'm off-line composing this message....the sodding PC is doing little else.

The programmes running/under the hammer when I press C + A + D are,
Resource Meter
Trend PC-cillin 98
Explorer
Zone Alarm
Naviscope
Sxgtkbar
Tcm
Tca
Systray
Web trap
lomon 98
------------------------
The Penicillin is virus software, and it's I/O Scan Monitor.
Tcm and Tca is "The Cleaner" trojan detector software.
Zone Alarm and Naviscope are "watchdogs" that you probably know about too.
What "lomon 98" is God knows !

I've had a quiet look around the "SYSTEM INFORMATION" programme and I was surpised to see that under the WMI Drop Down tabs, despite the box being "ticked" for Automatic Back-Ups every 30 minutes, the last B/U took place on the 28/12/2000 !! AND WinMgnt process "restart" was in a default position of, "Don't restart".
Is that normal ?

I think it is time for....PanPan...PanPan...PanPan, this is TG..

I need more of your help TheShadwow...please.

BOAC
14th Jan 2001, 19:46
Coming over by email, TG. Sits in my win/sys folder. Call if you need more.

spannersatcx
15th Jan 2001, 01:03
Go to Start then Help and select the Index tab, and type in system it should auto take you to a list then click on the system file checker select display and then click run now.
If it still doesn't work, you can try doing a Find Files option type in sfc.* (* is a wild card so will search for all files beginning sfc.) if it is not in the windows/system folder I would guess you have a problem with windows and need to reinstall after first backing up your data.

Tartan Giant
16th Jan 2001, 03:44
spannersatcx

Many thanks for your contribution.....but you will not believe this, there was NO file called, “System File Checker” under the System listing !!!

Find Files did NOT find sfc.exe either !!!

I should correct that last statement, because BOAC sent me (private email) his copy of sfc.exe and of course the “search” did find that copy (I had made a short cut to it onto the Desk Top). There was no other copy (different date for instance).

When I ran BOAC’s copy of sfc.exe nominating, “Scan for altered Files” it whizzed through the lot in double quick time….but there was a reason for that…….it only had looked at 1206 FOLDERS I had, NOT at all the files as well - despite me having ‘ticked’ the two boxes “Check for Changed Files” and “Check for Deleted Files”.

The “Results” under the “Details” heading, verified it had “Folders examined 1206”…… “Files examined 0”. Naturally all entries below the “Files examined” were indicating zero.

I feel a headache coming on !!!! Looks like a reinstall of Win 98 ME……ugghhhh.

This is what was shown in the Dr Watson diagnostic view panel.
Adobe Type Manager has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: ATMSYS.DRV
Description: Adobe Type Manager
Version: R v4.00-32S058G06NN
Product: Adobe Type Manager
Manufacturer: Adobe Systems Incorporated

--------------------
<unknown> has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: <unknown>

--------------------
If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Multimedia background task support module.

Module Name: mmtask.tsk
Description: Multimedia background task support module
Version: 4.90.3000
Product: Microsoft Windows
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
UNQUOTE

Going back about 3 weeks the tech help guy at Meridian (ATLAS by any other name) advised me to reinstall the DMA drivers again………..he sent me an email with the drivers……..I did so, but that did not solve my problems.

Thinking the drivers he had sent might not be dated the same as the ones on my original CDROM as supplied, I installed these DMA drivers off the original disk. Maybe that’s where the problem lies ??

Would the System / User / GDI low readings (using the System Resource Monitor) and lack lustre performance, be on account of these drivers being screwed up ?

Sorry to load you with more “Tech Log Entries”.

If you can be bothered, I would appreciate further guidance.

TheShadow
22nd Jan 2001, 14:11
Tartared Gigant
"The programmes running/under the hammer when I press C + A + D are,
Resource Meter
Trend PC-cillin 98
Explorer
Zone Alarm
Naviscope
Sxgtkbar
Tcm
Tca
Systray
Web trap
lomon 98
------------------------
The Penicillin is virus software, and it's I/O Scan Monitor.
Tcm and Tca is "The Cleaner" trojan detector software.
Zone Alarm and Naviscope are "watchdogs" that you probably know about too.
What "lomon 98" is God knows !"
I/O monitor (checks for spurious writes)

I would tend to eliminate many of these load-ups as they are obviously sucking resources big-time. I'm not in the vicinity of my win ME machine right now so I can't check how you'd go about doing it. When I get back from this trip I'll check / let you know how to untick their boxes - you should see a difference. I've ditched VET and PC-Cillin because of persistent software conflicts. I use Macafee to check after downloads (automatic via Gozilla) and run it over dinner (but don't have it running in the background). So when I hit ctrl-Alt-Del I see that I have Explorer (only) running (plus RAANap if I'm dialled up and not on the net via our LAN server).

Tartan Giant
22nd Jan 2001, 15:27
TheShadow

Many thanks for the promise of more help....very much obliged.

Have a good "trip".
Cheers,
TG

TheShadow
3rd Feb 2001, 19:44
TG
Unfortunately I've just had to give up on Win ME. It's the wife's machine and it's totally scrambled. I tried (in between trips) unscrambling it via application of the many patches for win ME - but shortage of time and recurring problems (always a fresh one) plus a couple of re-installations and I'm no closer to a properly operating system.
I'm back on Win 98SE and I find that's it's very mature (for a MicroSoft product) and quite trouble-free. I do a lot of web-site work so I've frequently got five or six major applications open plus ten to fifteen IE5.5 windows sitting in the tray. It never hiccups.
I just haven't got the time or inclination to fool further with WinME. It's another brilliant innovative but problematic money-spinner from MS - that one can do without IMHO.

------------------
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Tartan Giant
3rd Feb 2001, 21:46
Hello there TheShadow

Very many thanks for taking the time to try and help me.

I too had 98SE and found it OK. I will give this PC a "clean" install again with this 98Me crap and see what happens !

All the best.
TG