PDA

View Full Version : BBC discover life outside London and the M25 periphery !

Krystal n chips
11th Jun 2008, 19:45
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7447985.stm

No kidding !...........how come it's only taken them until now to realise what the rest of us have known for years ........:ugh:

Won't make any difference of course.....anywhere North of Brent Cross might just as well be in South America as far as some of the News "persons" are concerned......like the "delightful" :rolleyes:lady who pronounced Bacup as....Bark up ...and the traffic tosser ( male ).....who pronounced St Asaph as...Saint A saph......:ugh::{

tony draper
11th Jun 2008, 19:56
Well London is not really part of the British Isles now is it,I would even let the French have it,feckin polyglot cesspit.:suspect:

selfloadingcargo
11th Jun 2008, 21:03
Delighted they are focusing on the Sarf-east

Keep the sensation-hunting, story-inventing, truth twisters well away from us....

sisemen
12th Jun 2008, 02:57
"37% of people in Scotland said that there was nothing relevant to Scotland"

Well, at least they got that right :} Is anything relevant to Scotland and the Jockanese?

F R E E D O M ! YEAH, WHATEVER.

Beatriz Fontana
12th Jun 2008, 06:46
The BBC is merely reflecting the political geography of the country. It was established in the 1920s when all political power hung around London. That, whether the Welsh and the Scots like it or not, continues to be the case.

Therefore, in these days of cut backs and freelance news journalism, you see 'national' stories about fuel strikes coming live from a petrol station in West London.

The national newspapers are as bad. All London focused because that's where the driving organisations for news production (i.e. politicians and think tanks) are based.

The only way to represent the regions of the nation in the media is for the nation itself to be disestablished into a federation of regions.

And if the Scots and the Welsh want more relevant news, then go independent and establish your own BBC. Or SBC., or whatever you wish to call it.

cats_five
12th Jun 2008, 10:59
Since the BBC follows up the 6pm news program with 30 minutes of regional news I was pretty surprised at this. It provides much better local coverage than ITV does, and it's news website also has plenty of local news.

DX Wombat
15th Jun 2008, 21:31
The BBC is merely reflecting the political geography of the country. It was established in the 1920s when all political power hung around London. That, whether the Welsh and the Scots like it or not, continues to be the case. Just a touch biased are we BF? I live in the northern half of the country and I would like to hear more about Scotland and Wales and less about the self-important suvverners.
You remind me of the twit I had the misfortune to have sitting behind me from Singapore to LHR on one occasion. If what she said was to be believed then the civilised world ends north of the Blackwall Tunnel whereas those of us with intelligence and commonsense know that civilisation BEGINS north of Watford. :}.

The only way to represent the regions of the nation in the media is for the nation itself to be disestablished into a federation of regions.Does the existence of Welsh and Scottish Parliaments not make you think that this process might be under way? :confused:

And if the Scots and the Welsh want more relevant news, then go independent and establish your own BBC. Or SBC., or whatever you wish to call it. Why? We all pay our licence fee so are entitled to equality in all aspects of broadcasting. :*

Beatriz Fontana
15th Jun 2008, 22:13
DX Wombat,

What an assumption! I'm a northerner....!

I also know that the media and politics are intrinsically linked. I regularly feel trodden on by a London bias, I'm merely stating how it is!

I'm all for disestablishing the TV tax as well. You have to ask why the BBC's rival, ITV, is reducing regional news output. Because they can't afford to keep it going. Therefore, the BBC needs to fill that gap. However, how regionalised is regionalised? BBC TV in Lincoln, for instance, is served by Hull*. What relevance is that? Only the lie of the land and transmitter location unites Hull and Lincoln.

Nevertheless, the move of BBC Radio Five Live north to Manchester has been controversial because the political-news-current affairs costs will rise, apparently. Why? Because the legislative is based in London and high quality telephone lines don't come cheap. And the legislative ain't going to move north because the BBC has.

Then again, what relevance to Manchester has Yorkshire got... :O

*Friend of mine lives in Scarborough. Listens to Radio York. Often can be found yelling at the radio words along the lines of "stuff York, what's happening in Scarborough?".

G-CPTN
15th Jun 2008, 23:44
"stuff York, what's happening in Scarborough?"
I can believe that as there is a World of difference between Newcastle and Sunderland (and that's only half the distance between York and Scarborough . . . ).