PDA

View Full Version : Yet another problem with Outlook thread

Grayfly
11th Jun 2008, 14:47
After years of happy service with Outlook, I am all of a sudden unable to send mail. Mail received, no problems.

I have 6 e mail accounts, 5 have stopped sending, the remaining account is via a different domain server and still works.

Any thoughts? System restore?

I can still send via pop3.

Regards

BOAC
11th Jun 2008, 17:11
XP/Vista? Have you installed anything lately/changed any settings? What sort of mail are you trying to send if not Pop3?

Grayfly
11th Jun 2008, 17:45
Using Xp pro, no changes, been churning away happily for a couple of years, then suddenly won't send mail.

The pop3 reference was just that if I go to domain providers page and go into my accounts I can send and receive. the problem appears to be when I use outlook.

BOAC
11th Jun 2008, 18:10
The fact that one a/c sends ok seems very odd and would not suggest a system restore, I feel. Which Outlook?

I suspect that going to the domain webmail system is NOT pop3 but web based?

I assume you have checked all the settings for all the accounts against the required? What happens when you 'send' one of the offending?

Is there any common link in the SMTP settings for the 5 accounts?

Saab Dastard
11th Jun 2008, 19:22
I can still send via pop3

Actually, you can't - no-one can. POP3 is a protocol for receiving mail. SMTP is the protocol for sending mail.

Has the ISP changed the requirement to log in or provide a password for sending mail? Has the ISP changed the server name for SMTP?

From the account settings in Outlook, identify the SMTP server - can you ping it?

SD

Parapunter
11th Jun 2008, 20:13
Most ISP's will have a help page for email, which will detail exactly how to setup accounts to work with outlook. I'm no trying to teach your granny to suck eggs, but likely as not as Saab says, there is some small change there that knocks the accounts out.

I just set one up & it wouldn't poll - it was driving me mad until I noticed I'd set it up as auth.smtp1and1 instead of auth.smtp.1and1. It's always the little things:p

Grayfly
11th Jun 2008, 20:19
I'm using outlook 2000 and have just reset it again, same problem. I also have a laptop set up the same way on tiscali and it's working on all email accounts. The only difference is the problem is on a t-mobile usb connection which up until now hasn't been a problem.

Perhaps it's the t-mobile usb modem?

BOAC
11th Jun 2008, 20:52
Unlikely I feel as one a/c is working.

As parap says, it sounds like your settings. Try looking in detail at all the account settings on one of the mis-functioning a/cs on both machines. EG you may have selected 'authentication' or 'secure password' by mistake, or some other setting?

BOAC
13th Jun 2008, 07:20
Wouldn't it be nice..............................??:confused: Is he/she still alive?

Grayfly
13th Jun 2008, 14:54
Some late feedback.....work got in the way!

It all just started working again after 2 days of not sending. Don't know why, how or what. I'm sure there's a term for it.

Thanks for all the input.