PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness - have things gone too far?

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2008, 14:03
I'm not in favour of repeating offensive remarks, however, is the word pikey (as used by Martin Brundle during the Canadian Grand Prix) worthy of sanction?
Are we in danger of destroying the English language by outlawing the use of words that have existed for centuries because some folk take it upon themselves to associate all uses of the expression as offensive?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7446274.stm
It's interesting to read the responses too . . .

Binoculars
11th Jun 2008, 14:34
Now THERE is a novel thought for a thread!

frostbite
11th Jun 2008, 14:34
"have things gone too far?"

You have to ask?!

Flap 5
11th Jun 2008, 14:43
To the seven who took the trouble to phone in and complain I say we all get called names of one sort or another - get a life. :hmm:

Effluent Man
11th Jun 2008, 15:17
Thought it was a just a term for a stupid boy.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Jun 2008, 16:03
Ah! that depends on how Lowe you want to get.

We are turning into nation of thin skinned whingers.

airfoilmod
11th Jun 2008, 16:10
Linguistics. We have "piker", which if memory serves, means a "lightweight" someone not to be taken seriously, its use is absolutely without social "charge". A culture cannot have adjectives it cherishes without a like amount of pejoratives. Superlatives of both descriptions will always be with us, as well as the cultural comfort or discomfort that goes along with it. Granting power to a word or phrase is done by "restricting" its use. Most of the argument about language is tiresome, some can be lethal.

luoto
11th Jun 2008, 16:14
Wonder if those who phone in to complain had paid for their tv licence, car tax, PAYE.. maybe even paid for their telly...? Just wondering like...

jayteeto
11th Jun 2008, 17:02
At a police station near here last week, a trainee constable brought in a doner kebab and dared to eat it at a desk. He was told to take it away or be disciplined in case he offended vegetarians.....:ugh:

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2008, 17:05
Would someone eating an apple be accused of offending meat-eaters?
I think we should be told.

tony draper
11th Jun 2008, 17:27
Err I thought Pikey was the politically correct term for Gypos.:rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
11th Jun 2008, 17:30
Did the guy who said it get Dunn?

It's puzzling though. In fact, the whole thing is Riddley.

Taildragger67
11th Jun 2008, 17:41
Jayteeto,

yes I just lurve this "in case someone is offended" business.

I rarely :E set out to offend. If I inadvertently offend by doing (or not doing) something, then upon being politely told, I will remedy my (in)action.

I think my reaction would be to tell the nonce who said this that I will eat my kebab where I f:mad:g well like until someone actually tells me they are offended. I don't work on 'might', I work on 'is' or 'will be'. Then again I s'pose being a trainee, his options were limited.

I am offended by all this false 'taking offence' bollox. No 'might be' about it. :mad:

Recently had a situation at work where a colleague asked me for advice on how to handle a situation; they were offended at what another colleague was saying sometimes (due bona fide cultural differences). I asked them if they'd taken it up with the 'offender' - no, they hadn't. I suggested they do so. They did, the 'offender' was ignorant that they'd been 'offending' and was mortified. They promised never to do it again, 'offendee' happy, problem solved, no issue, no escalation. All it needed was a quick, polite, respectful word. Likewise a bloke who brought in his own lunch every day was asked to eat it off the desk as the smell was truly offensive. But he was happy to do so; that kept us happy (not having to breathe it in) and him happy (still able to consume the mysterious concoction).

Please tell us the name of that cop shop so we can set about it with pitchforks and burning torches and set them straight. Or at least a phone call to tell the people in charge what a bunch of handbags they're being and suggest they get some spine.

G-CPTN,

Mate the short answer is 'Too bloody right'.

Davaar
11th Jun 2008, 17:49
I can remember -- with black burning shame, that goes without saying -- when the politically correct name for "Gypos" was "Gypos".

tony draper
11th Jun 2008, 17:50
Up here a Riddley was a buckshee day off ont sick. :)
In my day Gypo also meant a native of the Land of the Pharos,prolly get wrong for calling them that now though,but then we prolly owned the feckin place in my day.
:rolleyes:

Taildragger67
11th Jun 2008, 17:56
The only people who get easily 'offended' are those without a decent sporting team to follow. I suspect few people have referred to Mr Sean Fitzpatrick as a 'sheep-shagger' and walked away...

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2008, 18:00
Up here a Riddley was a buckshee day off ont sick.Was that based on a Civil Service ruling whereby someone was challenged for having had too many days off allegedly 'sick', whereafter a limit was set for the total number of sickies that could be taken before 'questions would be asked'?
Then there are Baker days in schools . . .

goudie
11th Jun 2008, 18:30
In my local, my drinking chum and I are often referred to as the 'two bald headed old gits' We're not offended because we are TBHOG'. Same goes for pikeys, they're called pikeys because they are pikeys.

Davaar
11th Jun 2008, 18:38
That's certainly what it meant in 1956.

Loki
11th Jun 2008, 20:38
Interesting the way language changes. Locally the word "pikey" is used to describe the residents of the encampment of "traveller" people. Generally used as a perjorative term.These are the people who will offer to resurface your driveway, chop down trees etc for a no questions asked cash fee. "travellers" they are not....since many of them have been here longer than I (over twenty years). As I say, interesting how the language changes.

Some while ago, the word "gay" meant happy and bright. Then some people in California started using it to describe aberrant behaviour. Now, it is used here in the UK to mean sad, weak, or inadequate, as in "oh, that is so gay" Curious isn`t it?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
11th Jun 2008, 20:43
I think Pikey is better than the word Didacoy (spelling?) to describe the unwashed brethren of the touring caravan. They are the only people who can take a green and pleasant field and turn it into a $hitehole in 5 mins flat.....

Pikey is used more than Gypo in my part of the world.. Gypsies they aint!

con-pilot
11th Jun 2008, 20:52
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Loki said,

Then some people in California started using it to describe aberrant behaviour.

"ABERRANT BEHAVIOR!!!!!!!!!":eek:

I must now go and wash my eyes out with caustic soap and water. :ooh:

The shame, oh the humanities!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize don't you Loki that I will now be forced to consume large quantities Scotch to erase the memory of such a un-PC statement.

And for that last bit I thank you very much. :ok: ;)

Usually I have to come up with an excuse.

reynoldsno1
11th Jun 2008, 21:13
I suspect few people have referred to Mr Sean Fitzpatrick as a 'sheep-shagger' and walked away...
and it was he who was taken to task by the English team whe he was heard to mutter in the scrum "push, you black b*st*rd" ... ISTR it was the player Victor Somethingorother who blanched at this slur. Fitzy had to explain that he was actually issuing instructions to one of his own bros....:}

S'land
11th Jun 2008, 21:20
Mr C D:

If memory serves a diddycoy was a "traveller" who was not a pure blood gypsie. I seem to remember that there were other names for interbred gypsies, it all depended whether the outsider was male or female.

dazpoo23
11th Jun 2008, 21:58
I can confidently say that political correctness has been the only factor that really separates the social acceptability between my upbringing and my parents. Never have i been racially insulted (to my face), certainly haven't had to run home from school everyday, and seldom get glassed/beat up on the way from pubs.

I hope at least some of you can really give some consideration to the effect PC has had on minorities, as you can tell by the 'similar' threads linked below this is obviously an issue.

In regards to the initial post though, well,

I'm black so i couldn't give a toss about upsetting pikeys
:ouch:

flyingfemme
12th Jun 2008, 11:28
Has it gone too far?

A couple of weeks ago my Beloved was on a major US airline. After food service he was offered coffee...."How do you take it, sir?" "Black, please".

Several minutes later the cabin services director sidled up to him and told him that such language was no longer tolerated on their flights. Coffee was, henceforth, to be requested "without milk and without sugar".

I kid you not!

Binoculars
12th Jun 2008, 11:47
Horse shit.

Lydia Dustbin
12th Jun 2008, 13:27
Flyingfemme

A friend of mine in one of the UK police forces reports the same thing. They are not allowed to ask for black coffee inside the police stations, it must be 'without milk'.

Binoculars
13th Jun 2008, 16:15
It appears flyingfemme is not disposed towards justifying her story. I'm not surprised.

Lydia Dustbin
13th Jun 2008, 16:20
Bino's

I don't know about flyingfemmes story, but i can say 100% that there is at least 1 UK police force that adopts the same rule. Asking for black coffee is not permitted.

tony draper
13th Jun 2008, 16:28
Hmmm,,surely it would be more err,correct to call that that substance "Manure" Mr B,after all there may be the odd pony or two reading prune.
:rolleyes:

Binoculars
13th Jun 2008, 16:32
Mr D, yo should have realised by now that I am a long way removed from being a fan of PC. I still call a spade a f**king shovel.

Ozzy
13th Jun 2008, 17:29
It appears flyingfemme is not disposed towards justifying her story. I'm not surprised.

Can you justify your calling flyingfemme's story "Horse shit"?

No? Thought so. Now go have another tinnie.:E

Ozzy

tony draper
13th Jun 2008, 18:29
I heard more or less the same story re coffee in a different context,the problem is we are surrounded by so much of the ridiculous PC nonsense that such tales become all to believable.
I know someone who swears he lost out on a promotion because he used the term "Chinese Whispers" he says he know as soon as the words were out his mouth he had dropped a clanger,sharp intakes of breath around the promotion board,much scribbling on note pads,he says he knew that minute he had blown it,the organisation he works for is particularly riddled with it to the point of imbecility.
:cool:

Ozzy
2nd Jul 2008, 15:22
I swear the UK is going to the dogs (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030798/Muslims-outraged-police-reveal-new-advert-featuring-cute-puppy-sitting-hat.html)!!!

Who gives a flying fcuk that the advert has upset Muslims because that lot consider dogs to be "ritually unclean". Muslims should fecking assimilate and stop wasting energy on their prehistoric and facile views - or they could go practice their brand of religion in a country that promotes that type of backward thinking.:mad::mad::mad:

Ozzy

frostbite
2nd Jul 2008, 17:00
Sometimes it bites the hand that feeds it....

The Blair Witch has admitted that she worries every time any of her children leave the safety of the house.

Nothing to do with that 'Human Rights' nonsense she's made a fortune from, of course.

Davaar
2nd Jul 2008, 17:40
A propos manure and the other stuff, President Truman rather offended some delicate ears by referring to "dung". The good lady asked Mrs Truman if she could prevail on Mr President to use something more acceptable, like "manure" or maybe "fertilizer".

"My dear", said Mrs Truman, "If you only knew how long it took me to get him to say "dung" you would not ask.

arcniz
3rd Jul 2008, 01:29
With respect to 'black' coffee, flyingfemme, Binos, whores*it, spades, f*ing shovels, fags, queers and ponies.... they all seem to have a movable feast of meanings. The only consensus lightning rod word for b**cks in the US is n***er... forbidden to whites but ok for use by blacks... which they commonly use among selves as a bonding thing. Spades are hispanics in the language of yore, as are spics. One suspects the "gay" thing was grabbed by the homo PR dept. as abbreviation from "Gaia", a sortofa Weltgeist thing, but implying merely that all homonids are citizens thereof, and those homos who really want to be more gaia than the norm need to show themselves on record by bragging a bit.

Plato's Cave comes to mind. People in the 'public' mode always seem to prefer dealing with incomplete and distorted shadows of things, rather than with the things themselves.

Squeegee Longtail
3rd Jul 2008, 10:22
Any suggestions for a slang word (suitably offensive) for a member of the PC brigade? I'll happily use it whenever I can.

tony draper
3rd Jul 2008, 10:42
A IC1 a IC2 and a IC3 walk into a Pub..............:rolleyes:

redsnail
3rd Jul 2008, 10:55
Squeegee Longtail,

I can think of a few.

[email protected]
Oxygen thief
Tool

Dan D'air
3rd Jul 2008, 11:38
If memory serves a diddycoy

I had some diddycoy swimming in my garden pond. Feckin' trashed it, they did, I should have gone for the more expensive, Japanese option.

ArthurR
3rd Jul 2008, 12:03
Would a gay male, born on the isle of lesbos still be called a lesbian? :confused:

radeng
3rd Jul 2008, 12:12
It is a fact that a few years back, the Black Dyke Mills Brass Band were banned from playing in Madison Square Garden because of their name.

I wonder how much longer we will be allowed to have faggotts and black pudding? How do we re-write history to explain that when George Stephenson laid the railway across Chat Moss by sinking faggotts into the Moss until there was a stable road bed, he was not referring to persons of a particular orientation - or that the railway was being laid on top of a recreational drug user?

corsair
3rd Jul 2008, 16:05
That dog story is unbelievable, all the more so because it's true. Who would have thought dogs were offensive to Muslims? No wonder the police never thought to consult their diversity advisor.

Councillor Asif said: 'People who have shops just won't put up the postcard. But the police have said to me that it was simply an oversight and they did not seek to offend or upset.'

It occurs to me that maybe the only person really 'upset' here is Councillor Asif and maybe a shopkeeper or two.

As for 'Pikey', if Brundle was Irish he would probably have said 'Knackers' which is our generic term for that particular bunch of thieving, drunken wasters. In general I'm fairly PC, non racist etc. But I am prejudiced against that particular bunch of people who like to term themselves 'Travellers'. It's all borne of personal experience dealing with them. You only have to watch a group of them in a shop blatantly using distraction tactics to shoplift or catch them trying to steal my sister's purse from her handbag or see them move onto a patch of land and turn it into a cesspit to relieve yourself of any lingering sympathy you might have for their 'plight'.

There are decent members of the 'Travelling Community'. Not enough to make a difference to their 'culture' though.

Juud
3rd Jul 2008, 16:14
dazpoo23, could you expand a bit on your last post? You write "I hope at least some of you can really give some consideration to the effect PC has had on minorities"

I think I understand what you mean, but I am not sure. :) So please?

As you noted, PC is a recurring subject on this forum, but discussing it is fairly moot since we have few black people who can tell what good/bad impact PC has had/is having on their lives.

We are talking about PC from a mostly (not quite) lily white perspective, your input is needed! ;)

radeng
3rd Jul 2008, 16:15
Does this mean that if a police dog grabs a muslim who is attempting to avoid arrest, a claim ensues agAinst the police for degrading him or whatever?

'No constable. call the dog off. He's a muslim and if the dog gets him, it will be in breach of his human rights!

Has there yet been any polcie investigation of situations where a white, male christian has complained about some other religions acts or requirements being grossly offensive to him?

I have wondered whether or not the North Wales police chief couldn't be accused of racism against the English on occasion......

tony draper
3rd Jul 2008, 16:18
Berra hang on to yer purse then Mr c, according to a eastern European lady of my aquaintance there's another 3,000,000 of them just waiting to come across with the next tranch of EU membership,and the lady says you ain't seen nothing yet until you see the next lot.
:uhoh:

None of the above
3rd Jul 2008, 18:38
Taxi firms warned over guide dogs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/7487297.stm)

Draw your own conclusions.

ORAC
9th Jul 2008, 06:37
Torygraph: Pensioner arrested for chasing away youths with piece of wood

A pensioner who used a piece of wood to chase away a gang of teenagers who had been throwing stones at his home is facing a jail term after being arrested and charged with possessing an offensive weapon.

Sydney Davis, 65, a father-of-two, dialled 999 when his home in the Pinehurst area of Swindon, Wilts, came under attack. But when police failed to turn up over the next two hours he decided to take action himself. He grabbed a section of wood from a broken-up sofa lying in his front garden and chased the youths down the street - just as police officers finally arrived.

Mr Davis, a retired builder, was astonished when police arrested him while allowing the gang to run to safety. The householder now faces a court appearance and a potential prison term of six months if convicted.

Mr Davis, whose windows have been smashed five times in the last eight months, branded the law "a colossal ass". He went on: "This is Britain gone mad. Just what in the world is this country coming to when the police arrest people like me for protecting their own property? The police say they want to reduce crime, yet they let evil little toe-rags like this off. Then they prosecute hard-working, upstanding residents like me. There is simply no way we can shake off this problem of 'Yob Britain' if the legal system fails to protect the everyday person".

Mr Davis' difficulties began on July 2 when a gang started throwing stones, stick, mud and eggs at a number of homes. His wife, Pauline, 42, and their sons, Peter, seven, and James, five, cowered behind the sofa as the windows were hit by a flurry of missiles.

"My wife called the police at 6pm, but they just kept on throwing stones through my back gate.I left the back door open to stop them smashing it. Suddenly a really big rock came crashing into the kitchen. I just grabbed the wood, which was the nearest thing I could find, and chased them off. The police turned up just as I was chasing them. As a result I was arrested, but they didn't arrest any of them."

Mr Davis was handcuffed, taken to a local police station and later charged. Wiltshire Police confirmed both the charge against him and the fact that no one else had been arrested in connection with the incident.

The householder is expected to appear before local magistrates later in the month.

arcniz
9th Jul 2008, 07:23
Sounds like a good market for blowpipes and poison darts.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Jul 2008, 10:41
What's wrong with a good English long bow? Skewer the little toads from the back door at 100'.

If it was good enough for the folks at Crecy and Agincourt it should be good enough for Joe Bloggs.

frostbite
9th Jul 2008, 12:04
It says a lot for his self control that he didn't (apparently) assault the arresting officer.

Think I might have done.

ORAC
15th Aug 2008, 14:58
Please, can we hang these f**kers? (http://timworstall.com/2008/08/15/please-can-we-hang-these-****ers/) Pretty please? Iíll even provide the lamp post if necessary (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4534934.ece):

A volunteer coastguard crew face disciplinary action after going to the rescue of a teenage swimmer in a boat that had recently been repaired and was awaiting a seaworthiness inspection.

The four crewmen were on duty at Hope Cove in South Devon when the 15-year-old girl was swept out to sea by a powerful rip tide. They braved heavy surf to launch their 17ft rigid inflatable.

The girl was rescued by a diver and the coastguard crew brought her ashore. But within hours their boat had been confiscated and the station officer and his crew had been threatened with disciplinary action......

Avitor
15th Aug 2008, 15:10
I have reported this to the police and expect action....not.

YouTube - Cher - Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWeezUxIzaE)

BOFH
15th Aug 2008, 15:41
ORAC

Please ensure that your lamppost complies with all relevant HSE and EC guidelines for lynching. We don't want anyone to become injured.

The piano wire to be used must be 18/10 stainless steel as it significantly reduces the risk of tetanus.

The braying mob must have clearly posted signs of egress in the event of a fire or other emergency. Appoint someone to check that the rotten fruit with which they pelt the lickspittle scum is not beyond its throw-by date, and that the lynchee gets her 'five a day' in the interests of a balanced diet.

BOFH

candoo
15th Aug 2008, 16:47
According to European regulations our street lighting did not come up to scratch in terms of "brightness"

Under the terms of our lease in the locality we have to contribute to the cost of new lighting which has now been installed all around our pretty little square.

Just took this quick snap on my phone so excuse the quality but we now have tandem lights all around us which when come on at night probably exceed the expectations of the floodlights at the new Wembley.

Will they eventually remove the old ones?

Must say I like the soft yellow glow coming from the old sodium ones.

http://i21.tinypic.com/29f4hw0.jpg

frostbite
15th Aug 2008, 17:06
Since we seem to have a Minister for everything these days I was going to suggest a Minister for Common Sense.

Then I remembered where all this crap started!