PDA

View Full Version : Offline Browsing with IE5.5

Scallywag
6th Jan 2001, 01:03
Up until a few days ago I was able to click away Online using IE5.5 , and then look at all the history pages at my leisure Offline (settings are history of 5 days and cache of 50MB). I haven't changed any settings in internet options or anywhere else, but when I try to look at pages Offline they are now grey. I've tried restoring previous configuration of IE5 with no improvement, so I've put 5.5 back on. Having tried all the help files I can only assume I must have unwittingly done something to bugger it up, but can't fathom what it is - can anyone help. OE5 is working fine & OS is W98. Any ideas folks ??

Century
6th Jan 2001, 05:50
I not 100% sure but IE in any form is not backward compatible. I may stand to be corrected. The cache settings you have are certainly OK.
I assume you have done all your Win98 patches from the Windows update page, which included offline browsing patches.
Also IE 5.5 is very 'buggy' hence the very quick release of Service pack 1 which does make considerable improvements.

Scallywag
7th Jan 2001, 16:33
Thanks Century, hadn't read about the backwards compatibility. Had done all the updates from MS site though.

Maybe I'll try Netscape ???

Hew Jampton
7th Jan 2001, 22:26
Try Tools, Options, Advanced and make sure that 'Empty Temp Internet Folder when browser is closed' box is not checked; and recheck your History settings under 'General'. Or have you got Tweakui installed, with 'Paranoia' set to delete all history on shutdown? Alternatively, save the pages you want as Favorites, with 'make available offline' checked.

[This message has been edited by Hew Jampton (edited 07 January 2001).]

Scallywag
8th Jan 2001, 02:14
Many, Many thanks to meagaphallus Hew Jampton !

I have got tweakui, but didn't have paranoia set. Somehow the empty history folder box had become checked, and I'd not seen it when troubleshooting. all is now well again, so thanks for your trouble; please have a beer or 3 on me.

Cheers, Scally :)