PDA

View Full Version : Falifax Bank the Thieving Bastards

modelcuirstudios
10th Jun 2008, 20:59
Well its not Falifax but you know what I mean without sounding lible...
But I just checked my statement on a 0% purchase card...
I did a cash ADvance of 750 so maybe it's because of that but it's charging me 5% and not the 3% that it says...
I can't believe this...I thought they just give you an initial charge of 22 which they did...
I hate them you know...I did online banking and expected to get online bills and I paid early...but it then sent me a statement so I thought that month was done then I end up missing a payment because it didnt take my minimum payment as a payoff for their monthly payment...I won that back but it costs me nearly all that late fee money in calling them...anyway I'm getting another 0% card to pay off that card and I'm going to make sure I dont do cash advance...I hope the other card doesnt think of paying another card as a cash advance either...
I mean 13 a month in interest PFFT!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jun 2008, 21:21
They're just picking on you because they know you crack easily.:}

modelcuirstudios
10th Jun 2008, 21:22
I know ROFL :p

Forkandles
10th Jun 2008, 21:32
Ahhh, but how do you know ROFL?

TFlyguy
11th Jun 2008, 06:29
I used to have a Credit Card from said company but tore it up about a year ago as part of my saving money plan!

However it took a while to get the balance down to zero and just before going out to the Haj for 5 weeks forgot to post my payment. At the time my credit limit was 6000 and I owed 18.75 - not my minimum payment but literally all i owed!

Three days before my return to the UK i received a phone call on my mobile and not wearing my glasses couldnt see the number so answered it. It was aforementioned bank needing to talk about my card. I asked if it was important and was told "No" so asked if the could ring back in 3 days when I would be home and was told that was ok. I then received 5 more calls on the subsequent 2 days!

When i got home I discovered it was a debt agency set on me for owing SO much!

After paying the amount owing over the phone I spoke to ******x and told them of my displeasure and how much those calls had cost me and they refunded the 18.75 as a "goodwill gesture".

I now take great delight every month when the postman delivers my statement thats tells me i'm in credit. I cant spend it because the card no longer exists but every month it costs them time and money!

sisemen
11th Jun 2008, 08:33
It's the same with internet banking. One is "invited" to sign up for not receiving paper statements. Bolleaux. If they want to charge me fees for keeping their grubby hands on my dosh then they can fecking well send me statements in a proper envelope - all the way to Oz!

gingernut
11th Jun 2008, 09:31
If you're transferring a current balance to another provider, careful you don't get stung for a 5% "balance transfer fee."

This'll negate some of the gain from the 0% promotional rate.

Always arrange for your minimum payment to be collected by direct debit each month.

Assume that this hasn't been arranged until you get written confirmation.

Try use your savings to pay off any debt. Credit card / store card debt is nasty debt, unless you're on the ball, and unfortunately, most of us aren't.:)

Mariner9
11th Jun 2008, 10:55
...are a [email protected] way to pay off CC debt.

Besides the initial transfer fee, if you use the card for any other spending, then that spending will be charged at high interest and your minimum payments will go almost entirely (~95%) to the zero percent balance.

Get a bank loan instead. And read the T&C's first :ok:

HXdave
11th Jun 2008, 11:00
we have just had a nasty incident with afore mentioned bank. my wife went over her agreed overdraft limit by 6. this was due to a direct debit going out that she thought had already been taken, but hadn't. the overdraft amount was exceeded when she cashed a cheque at our local social club. the afore mentioned bank charged her 35.00 on top of the cheque for processing the cheque, and then a further 28.00 for exceeding her overdraft limit (even though they could have refused the cheque, it was their decision to accept it). AND........ on top of these 2 charges are also charging interest at exorbitant rate on the overdraft amount. have written to said bank but with no joy. was thinking of taking it to the FSA, however there is the big court case going on about bank charges at the moment so they would probably wait to see what happens with that.

my advice - stay clear of this bank.............

Mariner9
11th Jun 2008, 11:02
Try the Royal Bank of Scotland instead :E

Anyway, whilst their charges may or may not be justifiable, surely it is not unreasonable for a bank to expect you to read their terms and conditions for their products, and not to have to babysit your accounts and decide for you which cheques should be cashed and which bounced?

TBirdFrank
11th Jun 2008, 11:05
Barclaycard no longer have my business because they tried the old late payment penalty when I had a bank counter receipt in advance of that date for full payment on my account.

They were adamant that they wouldn't reduce, or talk, so I just stopped using it and let them keep administering a Nil value account until it died.

What the silly call centre plonkers didn't know was that later that same day I would need to use my card for a very substantial virtual bridging loan to pass a credit which would be paid off from an investment realisation within days, but from which they would of course get a large merchant fee - except that they decided to argue with me - so lost it to the Co-op. Silly Barclaycard! who needs them? :ugh::ok:

Then last month Halibank tried an even sillier stunt - 60.00 worth of interest because their computer showed underpayment by ten whole pence, :* but my Halibank stamped receipt showed full payment in good time. :E And they expect customer loyalty ............. Of course they are crediting my account in full - will help towards a tank of petrol :{

Duckbutt
11th Jun 2008, 11:16
Sorry, HXdave, little sympathy. The charges are perfectly transparent and had been before the lady got it wrong. I accept that the charges as you detail are disproportionate for the offence but they would have been automatically applied without human intervention. From my experience, if you talk to them sensibly, admitting guilt and politely asking them to reconsider, you are like to get a sympathetic response. Making the assupmption your error was a first offence of course.

Bet she never helps herself the the bank's money uninvited again, which is of course the whole point of the charge.

What are you all whinging about, banks are not there to provide a social service they are BUSINESSES and are there to make money. There are other, much cheaper ways of borrowing money and frankly if you do so on a credit card you are a mug.

Again, the charges are detailed in the terms and conditions so read them and act appropriately.

gingernut
11th Jun 2008, 11:23
Hmmmm, maybe transparent, but probably illegal.

Roll on court case.

TBirdFrank
11th Jun 2008, 11:26
Duckbutt - talking through it!

Mariner9
11th Jun 2008, 11:35
Duckbutt - you clearly fail to understand three basic modern concepts:

Nothing is my fault. If I screw up -somebody else should have stopped me.
Business should not make profits
Any business making a profit is "ripping off" customers

Grayfly
11th Jun 2008, 12:21
On a slightly different note, but equally frustrating. I run my own business and on the advice of my well known bank, signed up for a business debit card. As a business I have to buy equipment and supplies and I thought I could use this card, the bank even encouraged it. In reality I can purchase items up to say 50, beyond that I get blocked by their security didvision because it is considered an unusual purchase.

I contacted all the parties concerned and advised them that as a business I would be buying items for several thousands of pounds a few times a year. They all said no problem. Next time a tried, blocked, unusal purchase :ugh:

This went on and on and I eventually had to go back to using a credit card for purchases. This lot couldn't find their backsides with their own hands:mad:

frostbite
11th Jun 2008, 14:43
Anyone who makes TV adverts with obnoxious front men is never going to get any business from me.

HXdave
11th Jun 2008, 15:43
DuckButt,

i understand a lot of what you are saying, but by what they did incurred 3 charges where as if they had refused the cheque (and effectively 'bounced' it) it would have only incurred 1 charge to the account. why did they not take this option - IMHO to get more charges out of the wife.

when i also questioned them about why these charges are so high, they said it was to cover the costs incurred by them, and as you say, it was probably all automated with cheque automatically put through and standard charging letter sent out with appropriate figures automatically inserted. cost to them -i would estimate approx 2-3 max. when i asked for a breakdown of the costs involved in relationship to these charges, they said they would not (would not as opposed to could not) provide this information as it was commercially sensitive.

the letter was even signed by a big wig at the bank, not exactly who as i do not have the letter to hand, but was someone with a really impressive job title such as a cheif executive or something like that. now on his pay packet, is he really gonna be sat there typing letters out to clients who have gone overdrawn.

lexxity
11th Jun 2008, 16:01
Some banks are just shite though. Take HSBC for instance. We have downgraded the joing account from a premium to a normal account, quite honestly we aren't getting any benefit from paying the extra each month. This means a complete reissuance of debit cards, we have been waiting over a month and a half now for these bloody cards. We have called time and time again. It'll be 3-5 working days to your home address. Then it was to the Branch so we tootled down there. Not there yet, a few more days! It's madness, every time we want to get money out we have to go to the branch! Useless tossers.

Duckbutt
11th Jun 2008, 18:49
Lexxity, you looked at what you were getting in return for what you paid for your premium account you decided it wasn't worth the fee. You illustrate my point perfectly. The bank publishes its charges for its services and one should choose which of those services one uses and pay the appropriate charge. If you don't want to pay the charges don't use the service. Clearly the service you have received re the debit cards is very poor.

HXdave, it doesn't matter what the actual cost is to the bank for your wife inadvertantly taking their money without permission, they publish what their charge would be for doing so and applied those charges when she broke the rules.

ModelTfrank, very clever response (please check your pm's)! You would appear to disagree with my position so please elaborate and tell me where I am wrong. As an aside, a point in your previous post I find interesting, one payment not being credited properly although it clearly shouldn't happen is nevertheles feasible, when it happens twice it would bear investigating to see if you are capable of understanding how to fill the paperwork in properly.

TBirdFrank
11th Jun 2008, 20:35
Mr Duckbutt

I have your advice before me

Very soon it will be behind me.

gingernut
11th Jun 2008, 20:41
No matter how the bankers try and dress it up, it would appear that the charges they've made, are unlawful. (Illegal)

Last judgement here... http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/judgments_guidance/oft_judgment_240408.pdf

If you think you've been ripped off, (people have been driven into bad debt by these illegal charges), then register a claim immediately. (I think the limit of claims is about 7 years.)

There is plenty of advice out their, template letters etc.

In my tolerable opinion, these people are almost beyond contempt, and have caused immeasurable stress to decent folk and famlies up and down the land.

Fight back, the law is on your side.:)

MartinCh
11th Jun 2008, 22:08
First of all, you, who started the post (don't see 'that far'),

You're from Mars or what? Sorry, but no sympathy.
Credit card charges are quite transparent, unless they really mess up dates or something. 0% period is only for card purchases, any standard or high rates incurred purchases or transactions are paid off first. You have it in T&Cs. Only child not speaking moneyish, can miss that. Or migrant speaking yes no in which case he won't be able to apply for CC.

I just got my white Halifax All in One CC. I'm happy to have it although I had fair deal of hassle with stupid employees, screwed up instructions etc from the past. Too much to contemplate here. I've had Capital One crap until recently and M&S CC, which is fine.
Halifax's One card is useful for improving credit history.

As for cash advances, which screw up the whole 0% deal, I just received my CC cheques from Halifax. 15mins after the letter with them burned in the gully in backyard. Who needs it? It better not be around. Sensitive data..

As for Halifax's unauthorised overdraft or bounced cheque, I had this funny moment when I had Helicopter International annual subscription cleared to my account. Like two months ago and I posted the cheque beginning of January. Since I'm stashing dosh into savings, I keep my current account balance low. I top it up when needed or leave my wages there. So I had this online banking doc saying they'd charge me 35 for going overdrawn 4.

When I opened the current account after having only cashcard thing for a year, I had letter stating I have 5 'overdraft'. It wasn't in the 'system', though. So I went to branch, told the enquiry desk guy that I'd like it back. He disappeared, then came back, apologised and sorted refund few days from then. By then, I clicked through to have couple hundred overdraft, so if I go tad below, it's just day or two interest rather than 35 extortion.

Also, the Barclays step of 'Reserve' as they call it, 22 for five days of overdraft up to 150, if one doesn't have official overdraft with them. But at least, they decreased bounced or unauthorised fee to 8. Already posted return opt-out. Like I care.

By far the best option is my NatWest account. 500 overdraft, BUT, first 100 of it is free of charge. So unless I go over it, I can keep it there forever. Not that I do, but it's good to have it for a cheque, direct debit or purchase online when I can't use another card. But then, their policy change means that even online transactions in foreign currency on UK Maestro debit, has the bloody min fees, ERTF etc, so.. Better use another card.
Problem is that more and more UK banks start to kick in these hidden charges for buying something abroad (OBVIOUS) but also online, when one can't switch to billing, and it's in USD or EUR. Like bloody Ryanair booking fee in EUR, so using Visa Electron or Maestro (if I can actually) means paying way to much on top of cheap fare..

Also, not sure for under 50s, but my neighbour uses Alliance and Leicester account and has huge overdraft, but think because of being over 50 or that kind of current account, he can have few thousand overdraft and paying nominal monthly fee. So he's actually making money on them, as it's interest free. some 5-10 quid a month for being minus 2000. That's it. Not bad.
Yeah, Martin's 50, but no credit history. Just using his debit card as CC.

5% for balance transfer is too high. Which crap CC has that? From what I know, Halifax doesn't. Standard is 3%.

Overdrive
12th Jun 2008, 01:53
The bank publishes its charges for its services and one should choose which of those services one uses and pay the appropriate charge. If you don't want to pay the charges don't use the service. Clearly the service you have received re the debit cards is very poor.

You clearly come from the "personal responsibilty above all" angle Duckbutt. You're right, from that singular stance, that people should read the conditions, manage their account etc. This is assuming their eyes are still good enough, and they don't lose the will to live halfway through (as intended).

However, if you had business customers (some of them loyal for several decades bear in mind) and they pay late by a couple of days, hours or even seconds... would you have a system that automatically defaults to assuming they are deliberately taking the piss, and always apply punitive, unrealistic and unreflective charges? Maybe you might, but you would not last long, unless you were a bank.

Banks increasingly operate in an instant computational environment, where the rigid pre-programmed parameters are very much at odds with the sometimes chaotic flux of personal & business finance. Instant except when it comes to cheques paid in taking several days to clear. It's all but closed-loop nowadays. They want you to do your own (their) admin. online. They don't want the cost of employees to deal with enquiries, even at cheap overseas labour rates, and to this end, they give me a gentle reminding poke by charging me a higher rate to telephone them about my money... often about an electronic f*ck-up that they've made.

If someone owes me a hundred quid after a couple of months, I chase them down. If a good customer owes me a couple of grand, they probably won't hear from me for a week... and it works both ways. I do not give someone a 30-odd quid (plus further charges) cyber slap for owing me 7.38 for 9 hours.

The enormously increasing profits of these institutions in recent years makes defending them ridiculous. I have nothing against anyone for being succesful. I do despise nasty, penny-pinching against individuals, because I know it happens to many thousands every day... and then it becomes serious money in the bank.

This being said, if they are sometimes brutal now... wait til the profits slow further.

TBirdFrank
12th Jun 2008, 13:04
Mr Duckbutt

I am happy to conduct correspondence about this subject in the full glare of Jetblast - not by the hidden means of pms.

My post said what it meant - about what you wrote. If you wish to extend its meaning, that is your privilege. I will derive my further opinions from that mindset.

Gingernut and Overdrive have clearly submitted all that needs to be said on this issue.

Pedantry terminates business relationships, a reasonable stance creates and retains goodwill. You appear to have chosen your stance, and I will therefore be terminating this response - as I would business when met by this sort of nitpicking.

Duckbutt
12th Jun 2008, 19:50
OK Frank, as you wish to debate in public - as I said in my pm I have no problem with anyone not sharing my opinions but merely felt that your responses to me on here have been a bit brutal. I therefore wondered if I had upset you at sometime in the past and asked you how I could make amends if I had. No intention to nitpick merely thought this was the politest way to resolve any problems ie in private.

I ask you again, have I done anything to upset you and if so and I feel it appropriate to do so, what do I have to do to make good the situation? Or am I merely being a bit over sensitive? Not unreasonable questions I suggest.

TBirdFrank
12th Jun 2008, 23:53
Its a good job I got here before this relegated itself to page two.

Yes - you are being over sensitive - because your comments about others are damned insensistive, but when anyone comments on yours ...........

Duckbutt
13th Jun 2008, 08:25
OK Frank, thank you (genuinely) for your comments which I shall bear in mind in the future. To paraphrase, as you quite rightly say if you give it out you have you have to be prepared to take it back.

I am sure you will remember that in the future as well.

Kind regards,

DB