PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 727 abandoned at Hanoi Airport, Cambodia

PoloJamie
10th Jun 2008, 20:53
Just found this browsing through the BBC News website. Any info at all?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7446469.stm

Edited to point out mistake in location, thanks airsupport!

atakacs
10th Jun 2008, 21:12
Wondering if it is anyhow connected to the 727 that mysteriously disappeared in Africa a few years ago...

daikilo
10th Jun 2008, 21:17
A quick search on internet suggests Vietnam authorities may wish to investigate Jatayu Air from Indonesia (airliners.net + jatayu website + plane pictures).

airsmiles
10th Jun 2008, 21:22
Presumably this one:-

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Dream/Boeing-727-223-Adv/1223437/L/

Previous operator was Jatayu Air.

airsmiles

daikilo
10th Jun 2008, 21:46
Have we helped your research?

I'd like to think that next time you give us the answer rather than have us do your ground-work, but, that said, why not give such delicate subjects to the professionals? Many of us only work with facts.

PS -x23 designates the operator to whom the aircraft was originally delivered by Boeing

PoloJamie
10th Jun 2008, 22:11
Well, I think I can safely say that I'm not a Beeb reporter. I'm certainly no reporter/journalist if thats what you're trying to suggest.

I had been looking for some more information about it, as it just caught my eye.

I too thought that it might have had a link with the 727 that went missing in Angola in 2003, but after looking a few things up, that theory has quicklybeen rubbished.

Jamie.

4 engines 4 longhaul
10th Jun 2008, 22:12
I'd like to think that next time you give us the answer rather than have us do your ground-work

I think that is a bit out of order to be honest, whats the point of a discussion board when just answers are given and you can not DISCUSS anything :mad:

airsupport
10th Jun 2008, 22:37
Unless there are 2 Hanois, which I doubt, Hanoi is in Vietnam. :confused:

daikilo
10th Jun 2008, 22:59
Maybe I was brought up to believe the BBC was the world reference, and many believed they were.

And I don't have a problem if they retain that role.

Taildragger67
11th Jun 2008, 15:47
Journos will use any resource available to them. We on these boards frequently learn things from various news outlets, then opine upon them.

Maybe the mark of a good journalist (and their employer) is their willingness to update their output as they learn new things. I have seen stories change on a number of outlets (eg. BBC, Bloomberg) as new facts became available.

I think it's clear that journos are not held in very high esteem by most PPRuNers; we do not like their apparent lack of in-depth knowledge about some aspects of aviation. One reason might be that they are not employed in aviation; frequently, aviation will be one of a number of things they cover. If they were in aviation full-time, they would not be journalists, now, would they?

Sorry I am not trying to defend junk sensationalist journalism which emanates from some sources but we, here, rely on these guys to start many a discussion. I am a bit sick of the constant carping when a journo deigns to darken our doorstep. Daikilo, I suggest you can generally trust some sources (I'll put the BBC in that pile) as they make an effort to check things (evidenced by the odd foray into these discussions). I personally used to work at a company which had a news organisation as a subsidiary and they positively welcomed and encouraged input from subscribers.

I have also seen a BBC story changed due to input by me, where I was able to point out the error and provide verification for my comment.

So if you see something you think is wrong, do us all a favour and let them know. BBC News website feedback form for style, accuracy and grammar (http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3950000/newsid_3955200/3955259.stm)

Rant over.

777fly
11th Jun 2008, 19:20
I operated through Hanoi for 3 years and do not recollect seeing a B727 anywhere on the airport. I have checked on Google earth to see if one is hidden behind a hangar somewhere, but there is nothing. There was a Tu 154 there for a while, so maybe that was mistaken as a B727?

Rabbit 1
11th Jun 2008, 19:57
Its parked just north of 11L at Noi Bai Intl, Hanoi. See it daily. Some other interesting relics parked at the airport as well.

Timber
12th Jun 2008, 00:57
Operated for Royal Kmer Airlines?? and owned by Air Smith??

http://www.airsmithinc.com/about-us.html

this page contains photo of the same aircraft

doesn't seem to be such a big mystery!