PDA

View Full Version : Plane Crash in Sudan

Engine Noise
10th Jun 2008, 19:06
CNN is reporting a plane crash in Sudan and it looks very bad.

SubsonicMortal
10th Jun 2008, 20:01
Good video on CNN covering the accident: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/06/10/sudan.plane/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

It clearly shows how ridiculously incompetent Africa is. I cant figure out if all the people running around in the video are trying to loot or put out the flames... If it's the latter, I rest my case.

There is no hope for Africa.

Contract Dog
10th Jun 2008, 21:13
Submental, you complete toss bag, how the hell can you blame "Africa" and "the people" due to some home video shot at night for this? Get over yourself! Having shared an airspace with this aircraft and its crew for many years I can truly say that they have always been nothing but professional. There are clearly unanswred questions here but for F sake, keep your rasist comments to yourself, you have only succeeded in flaunting your own lack of professionalism by your inflamitory remarks.

My sincere and heart felt condolences to those who have lost family and friends in this accident.

Dog

Coleman Myers
10th Jun 2008, 21:34
These guys fly in challenging conditions with limited resources. I think if you look into aviation history every country has seen its share of disasters. SUDAN has poor road infrastructure for a number of reasons and because of its size most transport is by air. They actually try to do quite a good job.Also they are unlikely to be looting a crashed aircraft in a Sharia state.There is hope for Africa.

perceval
10th Jun 2008, 22:05
no hope whatsoever for submental though. Please don't reproduce .... I think we can do without your kind in the world .:mad:
condolences to all

Engine Noise
10th Jun 2008, 22:06
SubsonicMortal, accidents happen in every part of the world, and when it happens i believe the best thing to do is to grieve and hope that we find out why it happened to prevent a recurrence.

I think it is where you come from that hope is lacking also. There is hope here.

On the crash, reports indicate that one of the engines exploded after landing.

V1... Ooops
11th Jun 2008, 00:19
Most unfortunate. It does appear that the winds were very strong at the time of the accident.

BUSHJEPPY
11th Jun 2008, 06:13
Hsss 101430z 12013kt 3000 M Ts/ra Few050cb Sct056 Bkn140 Q1011 No Sig= Hsss 101700z 27002kt 9/9 Ts Ra Ov St Few050 Sct056 Bkn140 26/26 Q1013 No Sig= Hsss 101830z 15010kt 9/9 Few050 Cb Ts To E Sct 056 Q1010= Hsss 101900z 14007kt 9/9 Few050 Cb Ts Toe Sct056 30/19 Q1010 No Sig=

Metro man
11th Jun 2008, 08:27
Interesting that someone had already put the cause down to weather conditions while the aircraft was still burning in the background.

Must be the fastest air crash investigation in history. Cause determined before the fire is even out.

fly1981
11th Jun 2008, 09:08
Tragic! We landed around 30 minutes before this accident, Weather was terrible, numerous aircraft holding, waiting to shoot the approach, runway 18 was active, most of the severe weather was located over and around the approach for 18, This resulted in 1 or 2 aircraft trying to shoot the approach for 36 as the weather was much better over that approach. On our approach, landing 18 there was a very strong headwind component, up until 25 feet where we experienced some severe windshear, I couldnt tell you the exact direction the wind was coming from below 25 feet, but it was all over the place!!!!!! Terrible conditions in Khartoum last night, my thoughts go out to all the family's involved, and the crew.RIP.

Capt Megathrust
11th Jun 2008, 10:55
Thanks fly1981 for the facts of the situation. How quickly we judge another crew. I can assure you they were doing the best they could, and who knows how we would have reacted under the same situations. No pilot wants to end his day in a ball of fire on a runway, so lets cool it with the judgements and remember how mortal we all are.

There are always many questions and few answers after accidents like this. Fly1981 - did you by any chance relay your wind conditions that you experienced below 25ft to the tower and was this information passed through to holding a/c? I would be interested to hear your comments.

I thank God there were so many survivors and pray for families who have lost loved ones.

fly1981
11th Jun 2008, 11:19
Capt Megathrust, couldnt agree with you more, the guys from this particular airline, fly in this weather very often, especially at this time of the year, the windshear had been mentioned by previous aircraft, that is possibly a reason for some a/c trying to shoot the approach for the opposite runway, im not to sure. The talk around the airport is that there was a definite technical problem on the aircraft, and this was reported to the tower on final approach. On the approach for 36 if they had gone around to try sort a technical problem out, they would have flown straight into the most intense portion of the weather which was lying over the approach for 18. The aircraft is not lying off the end of the runway, but rather to the left side of it, almost looks like he had vacated the runway(36) on taxi way M, and then it caught fire. With a wind like what we had last night, it would not take long for a fire to spread through out the aircraft! And trying to manage it, is another thing.

sleeper
11th Jun 2008, 11:59
According the airport manager, the aircraft had landed and was taxying when the mishap occured. see thread in rumours and news.

VH-Cheer Up
11th Jun 2008, 12:33
According to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7447769.stm)The Civil Aviation Authority says the plane was taxi-ing to its parking bay when a fire started in one of the engines.

Some eyewitnesses say they had a bad landing and that the pilots had to brake hard.

Experts believe this could have caused the cylinders to blow, sparking an explosion.

Experts? On the piston-powered A 310? What the...?

With Flash...
11th Jun 2008, 17:02
As reported by The Jordan Times

"...Airbus left Queen Alia International Airport heading for Damascus where more passengers boarded..."

goes on to say

"...it landed safely at Khartoum Airport and they talked to the conrol tower which told them where to taxi. At this moment an explosion happened, one of the planes engines exploded and the plane caught fire."

Also reports that Airport Authorities stated that it was due to technical reasons and had nothing to do with the bad weather, also states a bus had ferried some passengers away from the plane.

Seems like reports are very confusing to say the least.

Condolences to all. RIP

steamchicken
11th Jun 2008, 19:17
Brake cylinders?

flylowboy
11th Jun 2008, 19:33
Looks like a very heavy landing as pic taken show extensive gear wing damage. Probably wind shear.

Sudan19
12th Jun 2008, 08:26
Sudan airways are trying to cover up what happened.
the captain on the flight is my brother's neighbor in Khartoum. he is in hospital at the moment but there is a rumor that this crash had something to do with the reverse thrust which caused the ac to veer off the runway.

i understand that on Tuesday most of the bad weather was on the 18 approach but it was much better into 36. i don't think it was a weather problem because like somebody rightly said they fly in these conditions often.
they said the plane got taxi instructions and then there was an explosion in the right engine. its common in Khartoum that you get your taxi instructions while you are still on the runway. but if that was the case what caused the plane to come of the tarmac?? if it was just an explosion and the plane caught fire.

i think they are trying to cover up that it was a technical problem and blame it on the weather or maybe even the pilots.

we need some big changes in Sudan airways or soon we will not have a flag carrier.

cochise
12th Jun 2008, 17:31
You are right. How do you taxi off the runway and then end up on the overrun of the same runway you were landing on?
hmmm sounds like someone in management is covering up.
I will never judge crew because I don't think you have a right unless you are there in the situation. They landed with a tail wind because the weather was bad on the approach to 18 the IAF was a spectacular red blotch dotted with purple on the radar. This with reverse inop and a wet runway could have contributed.

Vref +10
12th Jun 2008, 17:47
Boy are you refering to the F50 fleet or...

withaflash
13th Jun 2008, 06:05
I think he is refering to the 1900 fleet..

Sudan19
13th Jun 2008, 09:02
These pictures say something else though!!!

http://avherald.com/h?article=408093a8/0002

hmmmmm.

Istorik
13th Jun 2008, 11:03
The tail section has just been pulled away from other wreckage!

cochise
13th Jun 2008, 16:07
probably because the tail section would be an obstruction in the "clearway"

Sudan19
13th Jun 2008, 16:40
i heard they touched down half way through the runway.
with tail wind wet runway T/R inop they couldn't stop and ran off the runway onto the sand and grass.

i still think there is another reason or maybe reasonS.