PDA

View Full Version : Changing companies but keeping phone number?

DAL208
10th Jun 2008, 17:48
Planning on changing from o2 to Orange in month or so. I know there is a way...and has something to do wit getting the PAC code (?). How do i go about getting my numbr transferred over with minimum hassle?

Thanks, DAL.

p.s. i know this should probably be on that computer forum but they will probably just give me loads or random technical advice that will go over my head...

Parapunter
10th Jun 2008, 17:52
Call 02, ask for a pac code. Wait, wait some more, wait again, receive pac code. Call Orange, give them pac code.

winglit
10th Jun 2008, 17:52
Why don't you go into one of those wharefone carhouse type places and speak to a bloke with a snail in his ear?

I'm sure they know how to do it. If not they ask the snail.

Keef
10th Jun 2008, 17:53
Try reading this (http://www.mobilevenue.co.uk/blog-home/useful-phone-information/pac-code-and-number-porting-guide/).

I've done it and had no problems.

Ozzy
10th Jun 2008, 17:54
They make it difficult for you in the UK! I moved from Sprint (CDMA) to T-Mobile (GSM) her in the States and had to do nowt. The salesdroid in the T-Mo store did it on her computer and voila I was up and running. I got a snail as well.

Ozzy

mrsurrey
10th Jun 2008, 18:33
ahh that reminds me - can we keep our number if we switch between pay-as-you-go providers these days? :confused:

Beatriz Fontana
10th Jun 2008, 20:31
mrsurrey,

From what I can tell after a quick surf, yes you can. The companies do get a little snotty if you keep changing, though.

Blacksheep
11th Jun 2008, 00:10
Unless you have a really nice Feng Shui number with a series like '888' in it why bother? Changing your number is easy, you just text all the people in your address book with whom you wish to keep in touch and give them your new number. Meanwhile, all the people you don't want to stay in touch with can no longer contact you. Its a bit like spring cleaning your wardrobe.

DAL208
11th Jun 2008, 00:29
Unless you have a really nice Feng Shui number with a series like '888' in it why bother? Changing your number is easy, you just text all the people in your address book with whom you wish to keep in touch and give them your new number. Meanwhile, all the people you don't want to stay in touch with can no longer contact you. Its a bit like spring cleaning your wardrobe.

True, i have thought of this. But it is a hassle..also, the amount of times ive had texts from old old aquaintences (sp) saying they have changed their number and i just ignore it...and regret it later on....nah would rather keep. plus would take me effing ages to remember a new number...ive had same one since 1999!!

Blacksheep
11th Jun 2008, 08:06
Agreed; remembering new numbers can be a pain. I'm juggling two phones and three chips at the moment - my UK & Singapore roaming numbers and a Belgian PAYGo. I can never remember which chip is in which phone at any particular time. Maybe I should get another handset. :confused:

...and they call this communication? :rolleyes:

Gordon17
11th Jun 2008, 09:12
Blacksheep

Wouldn't it be useful if there was a phone that could take more than one SIM card, and work for several numbers at once. I used to have to carry 2 phones about all the time and would have loved to find a device that worked for both numbers.

Blacksheep
11th Jun 2008, 12:11
It would be handy if they had a system that allowed you to buy into various networks and store them all in non-volatile memory in your phone using just one phone number. The user would then communicate through whatever was the chosen local network for his current location - a bit like Visa or Master Card. Unfortunately, that seems to require more trans-national cooperation than the telecomms industry can manage.