PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME........Help!!

BoeingBoy
5th Jan 2001, 02:50
Hi all,

I have installed ME over Win98 using the 'upgrade' package, and all seemed well until I deleted the 'previous installation' in disk clean up. I am on a Gateway 9150 PII laptop.

Now all hell is letting lose with constant freezes and crashes and a miriad of symptoms that all relate to the system ceasing to function.

I have tried a reinstallation of ME again over the top of the current set up, and that's helped a bit, but the symptoms remain.

I have run McAfee's online clinic for clean up, optimizer, and virus scan without problem. Also Scandisk, Defrag and Scanreg. All show no problems.

Is my only option to wipe the disk and reload Win98 & ME ?

AquaPlane
5th Jan 2001, 18:07
BoeingBoy,

Installations of new Operating Systems over older ones, particularly when launched through Windows are easier in the short term, but tend to cause problems later on. Best way always when installing a new OS is to back up all your data files, wipe the HDD clean (format is fastest) and then reinstall from new OS CD, preferable booting from the CD.

Seeing as no problems were found when you scanned the system, I'd suggest going to Windows update. This will look and see if there's any bug fixes you need. To do this simply... :

- Launch Internet Explorer and Connect to the Net
- Tools -> Windows Update
- When loaded. Choose Product Updates
- Get all the Critical updates
- Get all other updates you fancy

If this doesn't work, try uninstalling applications one by one until the system becomes stable. Then reinstall them one by one noting which one kills it. If it doesn't stabilise in the first place, I'd be tempted to formnat and reinstall.

Hope this helps,

Aq

Hew Jampton
5th Jan 2001, 19:30
BoeingBoy
You mention McAfee - have you got any of their monitor/doctor products running in the background? I used to have loads of crashes on my Gateway, using W98 amd Me, until I uninstalled McAfee and things are now much improved. I changed to Norton 2001 and that hasn't led to any crashes.

[This message has been edited by Hew Jampton (edited 06 January 2001).]

Century
6th Jan 2001, 06:00
Greetings All,

When upgrading it is important to remember that the newer software tends to be based on users upgrading their hardware as time goes on. Sadly few of us can afford the luxury of making changes the our hardware on an annual basis. The situation is worse for notebook users.
Chip speeds are not really all that important when running an office and browsing the internet. Chip sppeds are best for games etc where screen refresh rate is important. Front bus speed is what really counts along with RAM etc.
When upgrading any software anyone with any computer savy will tell you that you must disable any form of third party diagnostic software and anti-virus software. That's a fact of life.
Furthermore when upgrading regardless what the manufacture tells you you are best off reloading ALL drivers etc.
Of course there is nothing like a complete reformat of the HDD as per previous post above.
Win Me upgrade when installed is excellent but go immediately to Windows upgrade and download the critical update package, this will update the 'help' page and also inform you third party defragmenters etc are not compatible.
Don't give up on Win Me it really is very good but sadly the software is not obly the only part that might need to be upgraded.

Steamhead
7th Jan 2001, 01:17
BoeingBoy
MicroSoft are also having problems with ME,
they even had an on line webcast on the 4th
of this month titled "Troubleshooting poor performance in Windows ME"
I missed it but these files might help:-
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q267/2/88.asp
and q275/0/03.asp
and q261/7/66.asp
and q273/0/17.asp
and q264/5/05.asp

DEFPOTEC
7th Jan 2001, 06:58
BoeingBoy,

I had the same problem with ME. After loading new drivers I’ve had no problems.

Cassie
7th Jan 2001, 09:48
Hi BoingBoy... I think you get the drift .. my comments: IMMEDIATELY get rifd of any McAfee - monitor/doctor products running in the background .... they stuff things up badly (even BEFORE upgrading to Win ME).

Do a full Win ME Update - I have three machine's with ME and the work like a charm !
Good luck ! :)

------------------
Gunship
West Africa

BoeingBoy
11th Jan 2001, 17:13
Thanks to you all for your replies.

I have always found that any running of McAfee products on my gateway laptop caused more chaos than it fixed, but have been carefull to 'disable' the active scan unless I'm checking my mail.

I have now taken to 'exiting' the McAfee Icon application from the toolbar, and that seems to disable the background program. Since then things seem more stable. I also noted a big improvement to game playing.

I will hold fire on pressing the 'Nuke the Hard Drive' button for a while and see how things go.

Thanks again.