PDA

View Full Version : Airport XRay Scan Effects ?

2XL
30th Nov 2001, 10:21
When you take your laptop throught the xray scanner at an airport have you had any software problems afterwards ?

What_does_this_button_do?
30th Nov 2001, 11:08
No, never - and my laptop must have ben thru the scanner about 200 odd times.

Evo7
30th Nov 2001, 11:16
Biggest problem are the people who try and "accidentally" walk off with it after it goes through... :mad:

What_does_this_button_do?
30th Nov 2001, 14:05
Laptop does glow in the dark now! :D

Evo7
30th Nov 2001, 22:44
Hey, there's an idea for Sony - the radioactiVaio... :)

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: Evo7 ]

lame
1st Dec 2001, 00:27
No never, and mine has been through SO many times......

I was told years ago, not sure if it is true, the baggage xray is okay, but NEVER EVER take it through the walk through metal detector..... :eek:

Of course most places wouldn't let you, but be careful you don't accidentally walk through with it over your shoulder... :rolleyes:

As I said, NOT sure if it is true, but I was warned it will cause great havoc with your computer...... :(

sanjosebaz
1st Dec 2001, 00:50
Evo7 says Biggest problem are the people who try and "accidentally" walk off with it after it goes throughThis is a well-worked scam in some airports - for the price of a couple of borading passes a couple can go through a detector many times. One steals the laptop, while his mate blocks the line by walking through the detector with loads of metal (keys, etc.).

Always insist that they do not let the bag through x-ray until you have gone through the metal detector. Security are quite happy to do this - I have never had any problems.

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

fobotcso
1st Dec 2001, 02:41
On the question of someone walking off with your laptop at the security gate, it is not a bad idea to put it in an anonymous sports bag or even a plastic duty free bag.

A client gave me her spendid Dell laptop leather bag in part payment for her course of instruction because she said she wouldn't dream of using it to carry her laptop in on her very frequent flights - some to unsavoury parts of the world - in her job as an aid worker.

Evo7
1st Dec 2001, 17:07
Yeah, the great logo'd laptop bag. Might as well carry a sign inviting people to have a go...

baz - your scenario has happened twice to colleagues of mine, and there has been an occasion when I've wondered if I was being lined up for it myself.