PDA

View Full Version : FS2000- Waste of Time?

G-BPEC
4th Jan 2001, 22:31
Hi,

Just how realistic is Flight Simulator for your PC? Any pilots out there I would be interested to know your opinions on this - Does it provide a realistic picture of flying the "big jets" such as the 737 and 777?

Thanks
G-BPEC
"Waves and Cranes"

buttonpusher
4th Jan 2001, 22:38
It depends. I bought it to brush up on my instrument flying before base checks. It's OK but it does lag behind a bit i.e. suddenly half scale deflection on the ILS. For just flying around and having a laugh I suppose it's OK. If you want to use it for instrument flying however I would splash out the cash and go for the 'elite' sim.

4th Jan 2001, 22:41
X-PLane R C Simulations

G-BPEC
4th Jan 2001, 22:48
Thanks for the replies

I have heard that people who are used to flying FS2000 etc. can actually perform worse when they step into the real thing and fly for real? Is that one true?

Thanks
G-BPEC

[This message has been edited by G-BPEC (edited 04 January 2001).]

ACARS
5th Jan 2001, 00:34
I used FS98 and FS2000 until I started my PPL in real life. I no longer use them. I have moved onto more serious sims such as precision simluator 744 and flitepro.

However, FS98/FS2000 did give me an insight to flying and helped with much of the terminology that one is introduced to during a PPL (helped me with communcation with atc in particular).

I tried flying a circuit in the Cessna on FS2000 after my first few flying lessons. There was no comparison. To me FS2000 should be used strictly for fun.

VH_KAM
5th Jan 2001, 03:42
Pesonally G-BPEC, I have found Fs2000 quite handy for procedural practise for my airline flying, and while the standard 737 and 777 are pretty poor in terms of cockpit and flight accuracy, I recently purchased a 747-400 panel from Phoenix Simulations which is pretty good.

This 747 has proper overhead panel, with most switches operational, accurate autopilot and FMC and pretty good flight dynamics.

I find Fs2000 - using the airliners anyway - is best used as a procedural trainer, I tend to leave the autopilot engaged for most of the flight and stick to management via the FMC and autopilot modes.

I can definately say it is a help when preparing for sim cyclics, and after having practised preflight procedures, high speed decents from varying points off the decent path, non-normal ILS configurations, I can say it has been a definate help there too.

As for practising for flying lighties, they are obviously a lot more hands on, and I believe there isn't really much to be gained.

Cheers...