PDA

View Full Version : Network settings for....anything

Bear Cub
4th Jan 2001, 06:32
I've built myself a little network at home. Two desktops wired through a four place hub and two extra wall points for a laptop to go into.

All machines are running windows ME.

Both desktops have a modem in them - and each one is plugged into the phone line...so either one of them can be "on line" at any given time.

Can somebody tell me - click by click - how to make one of them into a "server" and the other be able to connect to the internet through it? Would this connection be lost - and need resetting - if the "server" was logged off and then logged on again?

Same network also suggests that I could arrange a "mailbox" for each machine and have the ability to send e-mails from room to room....can you tell me - click by click - how?

Please.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

pied piper
4th Jan 2001, 16:11
try this url out

it is the same for "ME" and "98" and it is easier than it looks ;)

You can easily enable Internet Connection sharing, using the Add/remove Programs applet in control panel(internet sharing), and using the Network Connection Wizard and Dialup Properties (probably already done that bit)
http://www.microsoft.com/HOMENET/ics.htm

Mailbox is a bit tricky (maybe not in ME) but generaly you would need to configure an exchange server.

One alternative to just use a shared folder or web share a virtual directory.

Hope this helps

Bear Cub
5th Jan 2001, 02:28
Nah, Piper (is there a Pied Cessna?) I haven't attempted anything with Internet Connection Sharing.

I KNOW that if I press the wrong button on my computer one of three things will happen - 1) it will wipe the hard drive 2) I will be sucked inside the machine into a labyrinth of dragons and beasties (I saw the film "Tron" - so I know what I'm talking about) 3) bad things will happen in the World that we know.

I do not bugger about with this machine, if it isn't "point and click" then it is "wish and ignore" - but to be fully conversant with point and click it has to say, in small words, just exactly what should happen, what I should expect to happen (because it's always different) and what rehabilitation centers are available for therapy after it happens.

I dare not enter the world beyond the keyboard...there is a sign at the side of my computer that say "Here be demons".