PDA

View Full Version : How are the Mangalore cadets travelling?

MajorLemond
10th Jun 2008, 08:11
Hey guys, especially you actual cadets in the know, how is it all going down there? I see the odd flaming thread up but haven`t heard much lately? :)

ABX
10th Jun 2008, 12:45
Not good last I heard.

There's not much information coming out of Mangalore at the moment because (according to a first hand report) the REX I.T. dept his giving them hell about their pprune posts - especially the posts regarding 'Chairman Lim' that came out a week or so ago.

Is it even legal for the school to tell the cadets not to access prune?

hoss58
10th Jun 2008, 21:34
Hi ABX.

I guess it would be if the P.C's belonged to the company.

Our company certainly has a computer usage policy and i suspect a lot of business's/companies would have.

Fly safe and play hard.

Regards to all.

Hoss58

Ando1Bar
10th Jun 2008, 21:41
Wasn't there a certain communist country that firewalled such websites to stop the plebs from exploring the outside world?

ABX
11th Jun 2008, 00:01
Wasn't there a certain communist country that firewalled such websites to stop the plebs from exploring the outside world?

That is a pretty good analogy.

Why would they ban the after hours use of computers to access prune unless they have something to hide?

neville_nobody
11th Jun 2008, 00:45
Pointless exercise when you can go to the local library and access the net with complete anonymity

crank1000
11th Jun 2008, 00:48
Dont think the live in Cadet's have alot of access to the Mangalore Council Library

antzx6r
11th Jun 2008, 01:23
I did a bit of random googling, anything to do with REX, Mr Lim, Cadets or training in general is all positive media. Net growth here, looking to the future there... It feels like media bombarded propaganda to me.
This concerns me quite a bit as I was keen to sign up 4 this. As it happens I thought it wise to let a few classes go through and see the results. Glad I did...
Still not totaly turned off tho. I need to be able to get finance for training and if I go for cpl I need to be employable pretty quick as at 35 I won't have too many years of medicals to be able to pass. 5 to 8 years on weekends is out of the question. (not to mention expensive) And lets face it, very few exec bosses are big pussy cats.
Am I dreaming? Or is it still doable? I guess we'll see if its worth doing with Rex. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. How did others do it on limited funds?
Ant

captainstoobing
11th Jun 2008, 03:13
Are they serious!!!! Most companies do have internet usage policies, however generally it has more to do with explicit content/sites rather than a 'forum site'.
So what happens next, they read each cadets e-mails now? listen to phone calls? plant a 'mole' in the group? perhaps even refer the matter to Federal Police!!:mad:
Apparently the 'Furor' will stop at nothing to protect his 'reputation'. Funny though, he told the cadets that if they left he would have no trouble replacing them with 1700 other applicants - so why would he want to make sure that no more damage was done...perhaps because he cares more than he is letting on about his cadet program numbers and prospective cadets finding out the truth.

Antzx6r as someone in a similar position to you, I was initially (months ago) naive enough to defend the program, however over time and several contacts in the class, I pulled my application and apologised to those who new better.
Ultimately its your decision.
I think you have done the right thing asking some of the experienced ones for their advice. I did the same and made the decision to go with the Qantas mainline cadetship through Swinburne in Victoria. I have 6 kids and limited funds also, but my wife and I have decided to move to Melbourne and do it 'properly'. At least you can offset up to 80K on FEE-Help for that course (Assoc Degree) - which helps.
There are other ways too, thats just the one I chose. Good luck:ok:

Muff Hunter
11th Jun 2008, 09:58
i hear there is way too many students for limited instructors.

also not one cadet will be even near a cpl by years end....

so much for a 32 week course, or was that 32 months...

i hope the rex i.t people read this, your boss is a piece of ****e (and thats being nice)..pass that on for me..:mad:

captainstoobing
11th Jun 2008, 10:13
Muffhunter:D:D:D:D Thats beautiful, perhaps they could join a virtual airline!!
That is a virtually finished one!;)

ABX
22nd Dec 2009, 11:33
Are things any different now they are in Wagga?

eocvictim
22nd Dec 2009, 12:28
As a side question on the topic of cadetships. How do these guys get the hours to hold an ATPL? I'd always just assumed they were career FO's. Is this still the case or do they hold a hope of oneday becoming captains?

morno
22nd Dec 2009, 23:34
I'm sure they all hold HOPE of one day, becoming a Captain :E, however unless they leave Rex and go and get a command job elsewhere (another words, GA), then it's unlikely to happen.

morno

eocvictim
24th Dec 2009, 07:45
I'm assuming the same applies to cadets from other schools? I Had heard somewhere that QF had a way around this but havnt read anything official. I guess an answer from here leaves me in the same possition...

morno
24th Dec 2009, 22:21
Qantas is able to get around it because they have a High Capacity RPT AOC (obviously), and therefore the requirements to be able to command a heavy jet under the High Capacity RPT category, are not as stringent as low capacity. That's the quick answer, I'm sure there are others who can expand on the exact differences.

So a Qantas cadet can move onto become a Captain, unlike a Rex cadet (unless they leave Rex basically).

morno

KRUSTY 34
25th Dec 2009, 07:30
Rumour has it that at least 3 are about to get the chop! Probably not what they envisioned on day one of the course. Problem is these guys have graduated, but have failed to get through the REX F/O training/induction process. Ouch! That may mean a repayment of the "Full" Cadet course amount!

Truth of course, is a small proportion of candidates will always fail to get through, be them Cadets or general entry F/O's. Apparently the cadets are not particularily over-represented in this area, although a larger than normal amount of additional training has been expended on the strugglers! But generally they are doing a good job at it. So far?

One fairly senior Check and Trainer remarked to me however, "...they are performing OK, but what concernes me is that some haven't quite got their heads around the fact that the thing (the aircraft) can crash!" Perhaps the concept that you're only as employable as your next check ride (which goes for us all), is another hard lesson to be learned by a group that in general lack industry experience, and some of the "wisdom" that comes with it.

Reality bites!:(