PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe Offline Reader

dougyboy
28th Nov 2001, 05:44
I've just fininshed working on an offline reader for PPRuNe, which allows you to select topics of interest and read them at leisure.
I primarily did it for my own use but have been gradually adding various functions over time. (Update topics, Archive topics, follow threads etc.) It's now kind of like a outlook express/newsgroup reader type thingy.

I also intend adding a function so that topics can be loaded on to my palm pilot.

I was wondering if other PPRune readers might be interested in using it and if so I might make it available.

Your feedback would be most welcome.

BayAreaLondoner
28th Nov 2001, 08:33
Sounds really nice. I'd love to try it!

PPRuNe Towers
28th Nov 2001, 15:47
We would be very keen to see your efforts DB.

Used offline readers for years before the days of the internet - far superior experience with such a text based site as this. Killer function for these things is the twit filter - highly recommended.

Rob Lloyd

dougyboy
28th Nov 2001, 16:26
Thanks PT... Yeah, the program lets you see the topic starter as well as the topic name before choosing to download it.
Anyone else with any feature requests?

What_does_this_button_do?
28th Nov 2001, 16:52
Is this OpenSource?, he says hoping....

driver 8
28th Nov 2001, 16:58
I'd love a copy of the Palm version, I know a few others from work who would too.

Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

D8

dougyboy
28th Nov 2001, 19:26
W_d_t_b_d, didn't have any plans either way, but will think about it if enough people are interested.

keeders
29th Nov 2001, 00:21
Count me in - sounds like a bloody good idea. at least until I persuade the wife that it would be a god idea to get a cable modem. By the way, anybody have a cable modem ? If so, I'd be interstred to hear about it.

Keeders

Sick Squid
29th Nov 2001, 05:43
Probably won't work on a Mac, but if it does, can I have a go, please?

Rob, you might be pleased (or amazed, horrified, amused) to know that some dinosaurs out there are still using Compuserves offline-readers daily, like the ones that used to get the goss on AVSIG and AVSUP without losing your arm in addition to the monthly leg they charged.

However, we are but few, and restricted to that company that dare not speak its name, the one with a major forum still alive on CIS... and a BALPA one as well.

OK, so the 6800-code occasionally crashes OS9, but.. I don't know what I'd do without it...

£6

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: Sick Squid ]

finalchecksplease
30th Nov 2001, 02:12
Great I wish I could create something like that but I will stick to making my laptop crash periodically.
Please let us know when it will be available to us, ta!

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: finalchecksplease ]

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: finalchecksplease ]

dougyboy
30th Nov 2001, 19:41
Sick Squid, No, as you indeed expected, the software is written in VB and won't work on a mac (Unless you use one of those windows emulator thing-a-ma-bobs)

Driver 8, the palm functions are now done, and working great - At long last, I can finally read PPRuNe on the bog :)

Gentleman Aviator
3rd Dec 2001, 11:23
Sounds cracking!

I want to play with the new toy.

GA :D

dougyboy
3rd Dec 2001, 21:44
Thanks for all the feedback so far folks, please keep it coming. The software is working well now, but I am looking for a few people to give it a go, and check if everything's working OK, before making it available. If interested please email me on [email protected],
Please also let me know whether you use a palm or not.