PDA

View Full Version : How tdo I stop my computer doing that?

Flintstone
27th Nov 2001, 20:35
Since having a replacement hard drive installed my PC detects and installs a default monitor every time I boot up.

It's a real pain in the bum because unless I delete it I'm stuck with 640X480 pixels (my eyesight has not deteriorated that far yet).

Answers on a postcard please........

RW-1
27th Nov 2001, 22:16
What OS? What monitor?

If windows, boot into safe mode, then remove ALL monitors found in system properties, where you can see the list.

Then cold boot again, it should just detect your monitor and you would be good to go.

Flyswift
29th Nov 2001, 00:24
I don't thinks its a monitor problem - but a video card driver issue. Did you have to do a complete re-install of the operating sys? What OS is it?

Flintstone
29th Nov 2001, 00:55
Here goes.

It's an Athlon 1 Gb chipset running Windows 98 (I did have ME on it but was told it might conflict with my Epson printer).

Yes, I had to re-install all components, drivers, etc.

Not sure what brand of hard drive I now have but wonder how the new installation can have created so many problems. On the first boot I had about a dozen conflicts.

Monitor is an EIZO T560i-T and the graphics card is a Voodoo 3 3000.

I have tried uninstalling the default monitor driver through 'system/monitors etc' but there doesn't appear to be one.

Haven't tried your suggestion yet RW-1 but will do so after I log off.

Will let you know. In the meantime if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Flintstone ]

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Flintstone ]

WhiteSail
29th Nov 2001, 22:30
You said you had ME.

Did you load 98 over ME, or did you format the drive and then load 98?

If it was the latter, try; Start; Run; and type "SFC", (no quotes). This will run a system file check and determin if you have any corrupted files. (Have your Win98 CD handy). Follow the on screen prompts and see if it improves the situation.

If it was the former, you will probably have to start from scratch.

Let us know how you get on please.

Flintstone
29th Nov 2001, 23:37
Hmm. Now you've got me thinking.

The people who installed the hard drive loaded 98 and I installed ME over the top.

When I encountered the conflicts I tool it back to them and they loaded 98 again (I didn't dare install ME again). I suppose it all depends whether they reformatted or just loaded 98 again but I thought you couldn't do that. Whenever I've tried to install an older version I get a message telling me I can't.

Sounds like I may have to reformat and start again.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................. :(

Flintstone
30th Nov 2001, 01:09
WhiteSail.

Just tried it and although there was a file missing and this was replaced it made no difference.

RW-1.

I tried your suggestion but it won't start in safe mode! Just ignores me and boots up normally.

Hmm.

Flyswift
30th Nov 2001, 01:43
Still think its a driver issue. To try and prove it - do the following :

Start >settings >control panel

double click on display > settings tab

How many colours is the display running in?
ie the 'colour quality'
16? 256? or 16bit etc.

If its on 16 and you can't select anything higher then its definately the driver.

If you can change the colour setting & the resolution, ie higher than 640x480 - then maybe its not.

Let us know..... ;)

WhiteSail
30th Nov 2001, 02:00
OK, just had another thought.

If you "Right Click" My Computer and go "Properties". Click on "Device Manager". Do you have any Yellow Exclaimation Marks down the left side of the screen?

This will suggest conflicts on your system.

RW-1
30th Nov 2001, 18:44
Interesting.

Try when booting up hitting F8 just after you hear the post Beep.

I would say not being able to go into safe mode may be an indicator of other OS issues, but I still believe for the original issue of redetection, that removing what we call "ghost drivers" in device manager (in safe mode) may be the solution.

Some of the older HP Pavillion's have up to 18 monitors listed when you go in there in safe mode, however you won't see them in normal mode.

Flintstone
30th Nov 2001, 23:18
Hi Chaps/Chapesses,

Well, I've tried just about everything.

WhiteSail. No conflicts.

Flyswift. It's set to 16 colours and I cannot alter the resolution unless I uninstall the default monitor so it looks like it's the driver.

RW-1. I managed to get into safe mode. I'd just been holding F8 instead of hitting it after the beep. The system shows only two monitors, the default and mine. I deleted both and rebooted but it just detected the default monitor (not mine though) on reboot.

So it looks like I'll have to reformat it. Before I go through all that though what if I install ME over the top? Might this work?

Has anyone heard of problems running Epson printers on ME? I have been warned off this but if I am going to have to reformat anyway I suppose I may as well try it.

What say you the jury?

WhiteSail
1st Dec 2001, 01:15
Have you tried going into Safe Mode, deleting the default monitor and then updating your actual monitor driver from there?

All in one go!! :)

Flintstone
1st Dec 2001, 13:56
No.

But I will now :)

shack
1st Dec 2001, 15:56
Flintstone

I have an Epson Stylus Color 600 running happily on both ME and XP.

Try Start/Control Panel/Device Manager/Monitors/Default Monitor/Properties/Device usage and then check Disable in this hardware profile.

I fear however that it is ME having a punch-up with 98.

Grey Area
2nd Dec 2001, 12:52
Try checking your BIOS settings. If your board has an onboard video chip it may be conflicting with your Card. (Doesn't help that 3dfx went out of business).

Check that the video IRQ is assigned automatically and that if it is AGP you have assigned the AGP port as the primary display and not the onboard device. If that doesn't work try disabling the Video BIOS cache, VGA palatte snoop or DAC snoop. Hope that helps.
GA

Flintstone
2nd Dec 2001, 13:54
Thanks everyone.

I've just about kept up with (and tried) all suggestions so far but fiddling with the BIOS takes me into new territory.

As I'm not known as 'Sexy Fingers' for nothing I think I'm going to have to admit defeat and take it to someone who knows.

Might try reformatting and running ME though as a last resort. Won't be for a while though as I'm away on tour from today.

I'll let you know how it goes.