PDA

View Full Version : F-4 phantom restoration

xxpillxx
10th Jun 2008, 00:53
Lets start of by telling you a little about me and my cousin. I am a pilot and he is a mechanic in the airforce. We wanted to do a fighter jet restoration and the fastest jet we could restore was an f-4 phantom II. We talked to some people higher in command about where we could get the parts. We were told we could get the parts from an old bonyard. we went there and god most of the parts but we still need seats, flaps and landing gear along with some other small pieces. We plan to have it done in about 2 years as we dont have much time away from the military. The f-4 should be able to fly at about mach 2 when finished. I will keep you up to date as we get things put together. Anyways tell us what you think about our restoration.

dakkg651
10th Jun 2008, 08:23
Sounds Fantastic.

Get an F4, bolt on a few missing bits and then go flying at Mach two. Wow!

Perhaps if you can spare a couple of days to pop over here, you can bolt a couple of bits on to our C47 so I can go flying in her.

PS. Can you tell me which Air Force you fly for. I want an immediate transfer.

ZH875
10th Jun 2008, 08:51
Well, me and my second cousin twice removed have found a piece of an XB-70, and we have also found a way to grow small bits of metal into full size aircraft panels, but it is a slow process.

We are very busy in our council work, so can only allocate 10 minutes per day. That said, we have set a target date of 25 December 2475 for the maiden flight. My second cousin twice removed is training to fly the XB-70 using a pc and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Is this program good enough for this task, and will he be ready by 12/25/2475, or will we need to postpone the flight.

We are looking for a second pilot for this project, but they must have previous XB-70 experience, or failing that, at least 100 hours in a Cessna C-72.

We believe that we have also found pieces of Skylab, and are hoping to have that up an running by 2680, and a launch in 4275 using pieces of an old Thor IRBM. Can anyone help us in this project.

denis555
10th Jun 2008, 09:47
Can’t you get most of the parts you need from Airfix? :ok:Good luck with it!

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Jun 2008, 11:05
Dont forget the good old CAA will watch you painstakenly rebuild the F4, Then will not grant a 'Cofa'.:hmm:

The F4 is a large/complex airframe.

Most people are restoring smaller airframes - JP, Spit Hurr etc.

Good Luck with the project.:ok:

forget
10th Jun 2008, 11:24
told we could get the parts from an old bonyard. we went there and got most of the parts

How about some photographs of these parts?

India Four Two
10th Jun 2008, 11:47
Dont forget the good old CAA will watch you painstakenly rebuild the F4I don't think the CAA has any offices in North Dakota. I expect xxpillxx will be contacting his local EAA branch, so that he can register it in the Experimental category.

Can anyone help me with my Russian aircraft rebuild project? I've already got a critical component, the clock:

http://www.chronometer.net/mig_clock.gif

Luckily, this clock was used in many Russian aircraft, so I'm not fussy about which airframe to use. If any PPRuNers have a suitable box of parts, please let me know and tell me how high I have to jack-up the clock to slide the airframe under it. ;)

ix_touring
10th Jun 2008, 11:48
Hmm, Minot is in ND, USA so CAA not an issue...

but its still a "complex" bird. . . there is one civy phantom though:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/Misc/F4dAirToAir/index.html

more info here:

http://collingsfoundation.org/tx_f-4dphantom.htm

They got their's from a bone yard and spent "thousands of hours" in restoration, new 0 hour engines, full avionics and hydraulics rebuild etc etc and then had to get ocngress to say OK too...

Cheeper/easier to buy a MIG... or a number of tickets to Capetown!

iX

poor southerner
10th Jun 2008, 12:19
F4's cannot fly anywhere in civvy hands (ownership) in the world. As they are part of the early 'salt' ? treaty for reducing arms. Hence the act of congress for the Collins one.
Most of the UK examples where cut up to prevent them flying and falling into enemy hands.
The late M-H did have one in airworthy condition, but it was always a non starter with the US embargo.
Now with terrorist threats etc. It is even harder to register any new jet warbirds in the US.

forget
10th Jun 2008, 12:50
F4's cannot fly anywhere in civvy hands in the world.

That's blown it! I was looking forward to an end of year cross-border LABS run on Mount Rushmore. :(

Dan Winterland
11th Jun 2008, 01:13
Hey India 42. I have one of those clocks - perhaps we could fly in formation. But mine was aquired at a Hungarian Mig 29 base - so if yours is from anything slower, you might have a problem keeping up!

India Four Two
11th Jun 2008, 01:40
Dan,

I acquired mine in a street market in an oil-industry town in northern Russia, so it is more likely to have come from an An-2 than a Mig. Wave to me as you zoom by.

forget,

... and your aiming point is? Probably best not to answer that :)

dakkg651
11th Jun 2008, 09:19
xxpillxx is obviously too busy working on his Phantom for him to give us an update on progress.

Come on mate. When's the first flight?

DucatiST4
11th Jun 2008, 21:18
I beleive that even the cockpits that are in private hands are the subject of repeated attempts by the powers to be to be handed over and destroyed.