PDA

View Full Version : Royal Bank of Scotland

FerrypilotDK
9th Jun 2008, 23:16
In my search for a good off-shore bank, the RBofS was highly recommended to me, amazingly enough, by a manager of another bank(!) Anyone use them and have feedback? PM is OK if you prefer......

Thanks m8s

wee one
12th Jun 2008, 17:38
Depends on your tax status.
20% withholding tax if you dont wish your details to be disclosed to your relevant authority. Pretty acedemic if you are a euro citizen really since browns raid on all off shore banks demanding full disclosure to hmrc. The bank (RBS) informed us after the disclosure although they had known about it months in avance So much for offshore. Just proving the fact that I didnt owe hmrc anything cost me £5000 in fees something I could have mitigated if forwarned with appropiate notice of their intended date.
Apart from that lovely people.
Its all in a tin in the back garden now.

jgo
13th Jun 2008, 04:08
The bank (RBS) informed us after the disclosure although they had known about it months in avance So much for offshore. Just proving the fact that I didnt owe hmrc anything cost me £5000 in fees something I could have mitigated if forwarned with appropiate notice of their intended date.

Chances are they wouldn't have been allowed to tell you in advance. Did anyone's bank give notification in advance?

That whole issue was probably treated the same way as any financial investigation. For instance, I know that anyone doing anything to tip off someone suspected of money laundering can find themselves, and their company, on the wrong end of a large fine (and prison if they're really stupid). Bank tellers are trained to not react to large deposits (as much for discretion as well as above).

I suspect tax investigations have similar rules.