PDA

View Full Version : Checking one's last post

John Farley
16th Oct 2000, 17:02
Help please.

After I post a reply and get sent back to the page again, I find my post is not there. I don't get to see (or check) mine until somebody has posted after me.

I have a gut feel that my PC looks at the page address and says "Ha! I have that already" and opens the old one which I was replying to.

SOOOO I have tried deleting all temp internet files and then going to the topic again but without sucess.

What am I doing wrong??

JF

DreamCatcher
16th Oct 2000, 17:17
Don't think you're doing anything wrong. Two weeks ago I could post, and there it was.

Coming back off annual leave, each post this morning has been delayed and referred me back to the old page. Only flicking about a few times has eventually seen the current post displayed.

Guess it's a problem on the server side.

Typical - this time it was OK. Sod's law!!

------------------
PistonBroke

[This message has been edited by DreamCatcher (edited 16 October 2000).]

John Farley
16th Oct 2000, 20:09
Thanks Dreamcatcher

I clearly have a worse version of the problem than you

FYI The only way I can check my post has gone through is to search for a unique word in my last message and bingo up it comes and lists the post

BUT when I try to open it from there it goes straight back to the OLD post

Beat that!

JF

Hew Jampton
16th Oct 2000, 21:32
At last, a computer question I think I can answer! But somebody else will probably say i've got it wrong.

When you get to the page that should have your post on it but doesn't, click on 'Refresh' on the tool bar.

Alternatively, in Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Imnternet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings, and alter the radio button under 'Check for newer versions of stored pages'.

John Farley
16th Oct 2000, 22:12
Hew

Many thanks

Changing the tools options to "check each time you visit a page" as opposed to the previous "automatic" selection did not improve matters, even after a reboot!!

However refresh did it

What it is to communicate with those who know!

JF

Lurk R
17th Oct 2000, 07:29
I have had a similar problem. However if I do a page refresh, sometimes the actual thread will be refreshed - other times it will go back to the main web page like when I first access the site. This has been since the server changes were made. I used to be able to cut and paste the thread address. Now every page shows as "http://www.pprune.org".

InFinRetirement
17th Oct 2000, 12:56
Good answers John, but all that is necessary is to use the back button with a few clicks, after you have posted, all the way back to where you came in.

On the way there! You will notice your post duly posted, then see everything you did again and again. Just click back on to 'Computers' and bingo! I hope.

IFR

mik
17th Oct 2000, 14:10
Using Internet Explorer, clicking "Refresh" sometimes but doesn't always cause the page to be fetched from the server.

Holding down the shift key while clicking "Refresh" should force the browser to request the updated page. I couldn't find this documented anywhere - some friends at Zeus (who wrote the webserver software that PPRuNe uses) told me about this little trick.

Sometimes I wonder if Microsoft actually have a usability testing lab :rolleyes:

mountain man
25th Oct 2000, 19:39
The problem I have been having in the last few months is once a thread page gets 'full' of posts I can't see the last few or the page footer.I just can't scroll down that far it seems and it's as I said a new thing.Refresh doesn't work , nor does Shift/refresh , NOTHING BLOODY WORKS!!!!!!!

Often the last post i can see is corrupted and all I actually get of that post is the name of the poster and some http.blah blah where his post is which if I click gives me the page where you write your posts with his/her post in the 'Your reply' box with my username and password ????

Your help/advice would be appreciated !

MM.

DreamCatcher
25th Oct 2000, 23:04
Not easy without seeing the problem, but screen refreshing comes to mind i.e. a low performance graphics card, or other programs multitasking and demanding processor time.

Give me some idea of your setup and I may be able to help further.

------------------
PistonBroke

mountain man
26th Oct 2000, 00:06
Thanks DC,
I have a Mitac laptop , pentium 3 450 processor , 6.5 gig hard drive which is not even close to being full,probably 4+gig left.56k modem and I use Microsoft Explorer.Anything else ?
A friend who writes programs couldn't help but stated that he has little to do with this type of programme so suggested I find someone who does.

MM.

[This message has been edited by mountain man (edited 25 October 2000).]

DreamCatcher
26th Oct 2000, 00:55
Bit of a beggar, but I guess your hardware is fairly recent.

Have you any details of your graphics card e.g. make, and whether memory is 'on board', or does it take system memory. If it takes system memory, you can adjust that in your CMOS setup - it may want increasing to the card maximum. You've probably got at least 64 MB RAM, and a card using 8 MB will leave you with 55-56 MB. Confirm.

Have you always had this problem with the machine?

Also, try checking screen resolution and position.... then start looking at updating graphics drivers.

As I say, not easy without looking at it, but hope this gives you some ideas.

------------------
PistonBroke

mountain man
26th Oct 2000, 04:34
Yes 64mb ram , the computer is only 4 months old and this problem has only been occurring for the last say 6 weeks,Ill look at what you've suggested ,

thanks MM.

matelot
26th Oct 2000, 11:35
MM

If you don't find an easy solution, get it back under warranty. Don't delay - give the suppliers the problem.

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

mountain man
26th Oct 2000, 12:06
Yup they gave me a 3 year warranty by accident,when they discovered their error they tried to renig but it was in writing so they were screwed .I tied their 24 hour problem line and he suggested downloading IE 5.5 so I'll try that but it has 5.0 in it already so I'm not holding my breath.Thanks for the help anyway when it's fixed I'll post the fix for reference,

Cheers MM