PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from experienced internet bods

9th Jun 2008, 19:15
Hi all.
Need your expert and considered opinions on the authenticity of a site. The GF has been after one of the wii fit boards for a good while and i managed to find one on www.zavvidirect.co.uk (http://www.zavvidirect.co.uk)
All seemed well as i recalled that virgin megastores as was has rebranded as zavvi and i assumed this was their online persona so i dutifully paid up with the credit card and thought no more of it until today. Had heard nothing of a delivery date and nothing bar the e-reciept.

Been looking at the site and like this post there is lots of gramattical and spelling errors. I didn't notice them due to my poor english skills but the GF managed to spot it. Using your considered opinions and resources can you guys help me find out a) whether this is actually a reputable company? and b) where they are actually based??

thanks in advance for your help.

BRL
9th Jun 2008, 19:40
Have you been in touch with them at all?

They are just around the corner from me, if you get no joy I will go around and see what is what regarding thier address.

9th Jun 2008, 19:42
no joy on the phone at the moment, gonna try tomorrow lunchtime, thinking i've been had at the moment!

Parapunter
9th Jun 2008, 19:47
And me. The Old Steine is not what you might call either the most salubrious part of town or the local silicon valley. It seems they are Zavvi direct ltd. I have credit checking facilities at work, with which I can look up their status, accounts, ccj's, directors etc. I'll have a look tomorrow, see what I can turn up.

Edit: Quick public search says they were incorporated Feb 2008. That's not an indicator in itself, but doesn't allow you a trading record, because they don't have one. Also, what's clear is they are nothing to do with Zavvi stores I.e. the rebranded Virgin megastores & that does not bode well imho. Any substantive online outfit would strive to create it's own identity to avoid cannibalising it's sales by being mixed with another, This site is doing just that, the conclusion being they seek credibility by association.

Saab Dastard
9th Jun 2008, 19:51
ZAVVI DIRECT LTD
20 Old Steine, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1EL

Tel: +44 (0)844 8005712
Fax : +44 (0)844 8005713
Email : [email protected]

WHOIS information for: zavvidirect.co.uk:

[whois.nic.uk]

Domain name:
zavvidirect.co.uk

Registrant:
paul clayton

Registrant type:
UK Sole Trader

Registrant's address:
20 steine road
brighton
east sussex
BN1 1EL
GB

Registrar:
GX Networks Ltd t/a 123-Reg.co.uk [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 26-Jan-2008
Renewal date: 26-Jan-2010
Last updated: 27-Feb-2008

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns1.uk192.net
ns2.uk192.net
ns3.uk192.net
ns4.uk192.net

WHOIS information for: zavvi-direct.co.uk:

[whois.nic.uk]

Domain name:
zavvi-direct.co.uk

Registrant:
paul clayton

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar:
Medusa Red Limited [Tag = MEDUSARED]
URL: http://www.medusared.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 20-Mar-2008
Renewal date: 20-Mar-2010

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns1.medusa-red.net
ns2.medusa-red.net

Looks like a one-man band, punching above his weight - but that what the web allows you to do. Reputable? No idea, but at least the names and addresses tie up. Try contacting him, see what happens.

SD

9th Jun 2008, 19:52
thanks for the help people, much appreciated. See if the phones get answered in the morrow!

Parapunter
9th Jun 2008, 20:02
Actually, there are two directors. Paul Clayton & Steve McClellan. This is a matter of public record. They are incorporated as a ltd co. But that means nothing in terms of repute. The address is actually suite 16, 20 old steine. That says cheap serviced office.

Could be a fledgling start up trying hard, could be a scam. Website says scam. The same guys have zavvisports.co.uk as well.

Saab Dastard
9th Jun 2008, 20:33
You might want to check this link on Yahoo:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080606043611AAvpGGr

Nothing definite, but would make me more rather than less nervous.

SD

Keef
9th Jun 2008, 21:41
Something odd with the times of the above posts as they appear on my machine.

If you paid with a credit card, and they aren't answering the phone, then call the credit card co and ask for your money back. That soon gets their attention.

Saab Dastard
9th Jun 2008, 21:51
Something odd with the times of the above posts as they appear on my machine.

Keef, there has been such peculiarity with post times for a while - ever since the migration to new servers a few months ago. The site admins are aware of the problem and are duly scratching their heads.

SD

Parapunter
10th Jun 2008, 08:01
Okey Dokey,

I've had a look at these guys through my software & there isn't much more to tell. It's a new company formed in feb this year, it therefore has no trading record in financial terms to examine.

The one piece of good news is that it also has no county court judgements against it as yet. There are two directors as discussed & if you decided to get medieval on them for your money, assuming you don't get what you ordered, I can tell you one of them lives in Hove. I'm not about to print the address on here, but it is a requirement for directors that their home addresses are recorded on the companies house register - I'm sure it wouldn't take a lot to find out...:E

Suzanne Jiggens
10th Jun 2008, 14:59
Hello all. I am the online marketing manager for zavvi.co.uk We are the company which was previously branded as Virgin Megastores. I just wanted to confirm that Zavvi Direct and Zavvi Sports are in no way connected to zavvi.co.uk and we are currently investigating their use of our brand.
Regards
Suzanne

Bushfiva
11th Jun 2008, 00:39
My work here is done...

BRL
11th Jun 2008, 09:54
Good Lad.. :)

132.3 Any more on this?

I am heading over that way today so will have a nose around...

airborne_artist
11th Jun 2008, 13:08
Have a look at http://www.mediacentre.org/officesp/availablesp.php

Old Steyne House seems to be the same address as 20 Old Steine.

The bottom of the page says:

For more information and to arrange a viewing, please contact us:

01273 201100
[email protected]

No mention of the company on this page:

http://www.mediacentre.org/clients/clientlist.php, so they may just be using it as a mailbox.

banana9999
11th Jun 2008, 14:42
He is probably waiting for the shipment to arrive from China.

12th Jun 2008, 09:26
as an update, the phone was answered and it seems he is just waiting for a shipment. The only cash that has been taken was what the price of it was and just as a precaution that card now has a new number. Going to give it a couple of weeks and see what happens!

airborne_artist
13th Jun 2008, 08:24
One of the four greatest lies ever told. Others are:

"I'll love you forever"

"The cheque is in the post"

The fourth I'll leave to your imagination.

Parapunter
13th Jun 2008, 08:29
Perhaps if this comes to nought as it appears it may do, Ms Jiggens could step in with a rescue offer. Very good P.R. coup for Zavvi, one would have thought.:)

Mike6567
24th Nov 2008, 14:34
I may be stating something already found out but see this link
Web shoppers fear Wii Fit con - 18 Jun 2008 - Computeractive (http://www.computeractive.co.uk/2219439)

Parapunter
26th Jan 2011, 13:33
Resurrected to pass on this link:

Two men face jail after handling cash from Sussex scam (From The Argus) (http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8811097.Two_men_face_jail_after_handling_cash_from_Sussex_sc am/)

mixture
26th Jan 2011, 21:34
Parapunter,

but it is a requirement for directors that their home addresses are recorded on the companies house register -

You're behind the times old chum.

Companies Act 2006 brought a dual listing into effect, whereby you may lodge your private address with Companies House for use by law enforcement etc., and a public address for publishing on their database.

Infact, even before 2006, if you were a director of a certain type of company, or had other roles in public office as well as your directorship, you could get your adddress masked.

Don't believe me ? Try seeing what your fancy Companies House database yields for the directors of Readers Digest. :E

(for the public record, I'm not associated with Readers Digest, I just happened to have the need to look them up for someone recently)